IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I read my owner's manual last night
My car came with a factory-installed alarm system.

• Once it gets triggered, the only way to turn it off is through the key fob; using the key to open the door and/or start the ignition will not shut off the alarm.

• There is no way shown to either adjust the settings or turn off the alarm.

• In fact, there is very little said about the alarm at all in the manual. Thus, the whole idea is "It's there, don't fuck with it".

lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.

I am not merely a "consumer" or a "taxpayer". I am a Citizen of the United States.

[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Most have a relatively easy way -
BUT (and I agree This IS Stupid) -*you* have to find it. And alter.

On my car, for ex: if the hood is open, the alarm can't arm. (Not so re trunk.)
Permanent disable: turn over, remount the hood switch so it never makes up.
Smarter: run small zipcord to passenger compartment - put in any old switch.
(Needn't even cut a wire - just disconnect, use ~ terminal on extension wire, etc.)
'Course Muricans don't know what a switch is / or how/why one might be used.

One can improvise on other versions: for ex. a similar switch in a(ny) 'door closed' wire - probably wouldn't let other alarms arm, either.

The people on the ferry could just not Lock their rolling treasure domes.
Maybe not practical - what with the $10K Bose/JBL/Rolex and other stuff that would have to go in the trunk.

As I said - Stupid that there isn't an On/Off for these suckers - the ferry being only one obvious need. Stupid, thus -- not surprising anymore.

Every morning and evening its the same - (tuberculosis) - (55)
         Honk if you agree! -NT - (imqwerky)
         Can't - (broomberg) - (48)
             Then remove the POS - (tuberculosis) - (44)
                 and screw up the warranty? hardly -NT - (boxley) - (43)
                     If it false alarms anywhere near me with no witnesses - (tuberculosis) - (42)
                         Is there anything more chickenshit... - (pwhysall) - (41)
                             yes - (tuberculosis) - (33)
                                 You're ugly and annoying. - (pwhysall) - (32)
                                     Bullshit. - (CRConrad) - (22)
                                         Oh, fuck off. - (pwhysall) - (21)
                                             Did you become a Yank when nobody was looking? - (CRConrad) - (20)
                                                 What the fuck are you blithering about? - (pwhysall) - (19)
                                                     I'm being fairly clear. You're twisting not just your own... - (CRConrad) - (18)
                                                         You're still a fucking idiot. - (pwhysall) - (17)
                                                             It isn't entirely that clear - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                                                                 You live in a tough neighborhood! -NT - (jb4)
                                                                 It is exactly that clear. - (pwhysall) - (14)
                                                                     Wow, you really ARE as stupid as you're trying to look! - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                                         You're not the sharpest knife in the box. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                             Actually, IIRC, at least as sharp as you... - (CRConrad)
                                                                             dont drag me into your mess - (boxley)
                                                                     Most places in the USA, the police will NOT help - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                                                         Good point -NT - (Silverlock)
                                                                         I got fined once - (lincoln) - (6)
                                                                             You know, they should hook car alarms up to cellphones - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                                                                 There's a business plan in there. - (pwhysall)
                                                                                 I think the best ones already do. - (CRConrad)
                                                                                 So when it goes off - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                                     You're really not a people-person, are you? -NT - (bionerd) - (1)
                                                                                         ICLRPD (new thread) - (Silverlock)
                                                                         California law must have changed . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                     Said your mother at your first birthday - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                         It'll stay safe regardless. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                             I was with you up to th phone... - (hnick)
                                             The majority of the ferry riders - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                 ICLRPD - "I'm pro-oyster" (new thread) - (imqwerky)
                                         You're an ass. - (admin) - (3)
                                             Which must be why I bring out shits like you - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                 I'm not talking about THEIR behavior. -NT - (admin)
                                                 Step1: is there a SIGN? - (Ashton)
                             Is there anything more chickenshit than that damn question? - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                 You're a fucking idiot. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                     No, you're too busy being a fucking eejit for anyone else... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         ICLRPD - (jb4)
                             Yes. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 *blush* -NT - (pwhysall)
                                 Not only have I seen it at least a dozen times... - (broomberg)
             The alarms I had could be turned off with a switch - (Arkadiy)
             I read my owner's manual last night - (lincoln) - (1)
                 Most have a relatively easy way - - (Ashton)
         Hey, Todd! - (danreck) - (4)
             s /8 +/6.5/ - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Re: s /8 +/6.5/ - (danreck)
             Huh? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Re: Huh? - (danreck)

Do you know where your towel is?
142 ms