IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New First MEPIS build based on Ubuntu dropped for testing.
[link|http://www.mepis.org/node/9454|MEPIS.org]:

Morgantown, WV, March 21, 2006: MEPIS founder Warren Woodford has announced a test release of SimplyMEPIS 6.0, incorporating software from the Ubuntu Dapper package pools. This is the first version of SimplyMEPIS with an Ubuntu base.

Ubuntu has a 6 month stable release cycle that will enable MEPIS to offer its customers a dependable release schedule. Woodford states "The switch to the Ubuntu pools was made to provide our users with a more stable underlying system. Of course it's important for our users that MEPIS remains true to its unique vision. I believe this release demonstrates that we can combine the magic of the MEPIS user experience with the goodness of the Ubuntu foundation."

Woodford comments on the experience of porting SimplyMEPIS; "At the time we built SimplyMEPIS 3.4.3, the Debian Etch package base was very similar to the final Ubuntu packages in Breezy. So I suppose the port was not much different than upgrading Ubuntu from Breezy to Dapper. Of course there are implementation and artistic differences. We'll incorporate the Ubuntu differences into MEPIS when it fits our model and vision, likewise we'll offer our ideas and changes back to Ubuntu. We hope this is the beginning of a fun and productive collaboration."

MEPIS believes this step will improve the flow of code between MEPIS and Debian. Woodford says: "Ubuntu and Debian are closely related. Periodically Ubuntu grabs a snapshot of Debian unstable, makes improvements and bug fixes, and then contributes those bug fixes and improvements back to the Debian source code tree. If we work with Ubuntu and Canonical to help improve Ubuntu as a foundation for MEPIS Linux products, then ultimately Debian should also benefit."

Mark Shuttleworth, founder of Canonical, said "Collaboration with MEPIS will help Ubuntu offer even higher quality desktop packages for KDE users, and expands the number of people who can benefit from our work on system integration, desktop polish and Linux kernel reliability. The MEPIS community is vibrant and energetic and it will be exciting to be able to work more closely with them, while still respecting the ways in which Ubuntu and MEPIS are distinct."

Woodford continues, "This release is a sneak peek, if you will. There are integration issues and new features that have not yet been addressed for SimplyMEPIS 6.0 and the Dapper pools are still being improved. However, we want to make it available to our subscribers now, so we can get their feedback before proceeding any further." This experimental release is available for download in the 'snapshot' directory at the MEPIS Subscribers ftp site. Feedback should be sent to dev@mepis.com.

[...]

It doesn't seem to be available in a free form yet.

This should be good for MEPIS and for Kubuntu. It'll be interesting to see how the cross-pollination goes.

I'm downloading a copy to try on my T41 this weekend.

Cheers,
Scott.
New It works - I don't notice any big changes yet.
I booted my T41 laptop from the CD. The boot screen is a little different, and hitting F2 gives progress percentage indications while the bootup sequence goes in text mode, but I don't notice any other changes thus far.

I couldn't get DHCP working with my IBM (Atheros) a/b/g NIC. Putting in my WEP password and picking a 192.168.0.x address got the wireless connection working. (I think I had this same problem with Ubuntu a while ago.)

It's using KDE 3.5, but is very toned down from some other distro I saw (KNOPPIX?) that uses it. I'm sure the eyecandy can be turned back on if one is into that sort of thing.

I'll poke around a little, but so far I don't notice major changes from SimplyMEPIS 3.3. I'm sure it has updated applications, etc., but those can be apt-get-ted. I'll probably stick with what's installed (IIABDFI) until the final version is out.

If anyone has anything they'd like me to check, just let me know.

Cheers,
Scott.
     First MEPIS build based on Ubuntu dropped for testing. - (Another Scott) - (1)
         It works - I don't notice any big changes yet. - (Another Scott)

Hail entropy!
55 ms