IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Note well
that making sure the databases have the 'same' information will not be easy. This is a political problem; who gets to decide the info on a customer... finance or sales?

I'd suggest that if you're going to sql server, that you might want to consider changing that a bit:

• Meet with stakeholders over time to resolve information issues.

• Create a new schema for a new'n'improved system that includes all data.

• Harmonise data in the various databases. Create triggers that keep information harmonised following above schema. Run this way for a while to ensure that schema meets organisation's needs. Use this phase to refine schema according to users' needs.

• Implement new and improved schema on central high powered db. I'd strongly consider postgres (free licensing, support available from developers for money, it runs on Windows too, has ports to many versions of unix so when growth is such that windows keels over you can scale to a better platform with little pain).

• Move data into central db using above schema for organisation. Migrate clients to software to access this db instead of the group of old databases.

• Keep both old and new systems synched for a while to ensure that no problems pop up that require reverting to old system

• Decomission the old system.

Lots of folks here have more experience with this stuff than I do, I'm sure that they'll chime in if I've egregiously misrepresented/fucked up anywhere.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New No... you did very well. One thing to add.
After: Decomission the old system

I'd re-deploy the old systems as report "processing" off-loaders and/or compute nodes.

Obviously they are pretty good machines, currently, seeing they run Oracle and MS-SQL. That way you could get more life out of the machines *AND* make sure the old system(s) go away...

Get rid of the old and augment the new at the same time. That way departments don't feel like they are being robbed, you could even dedicate the old machine to them for specific things, making them feel special.

All part of "Protecting the Company's Investment". Yeah... err... YEAH!
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
     General DB integration question - (systems) - (6)
         First step is to realize this is not a technology project - (drewk) - (4)
             Double plus good - (JayMehaffey)
                 Note well - (jake123) - (1)
                     No... you did very well. One thing to add. - (folkert)
         stovepiping is your friend - (boxley)

Got a question? Ask it here.
69 ms