IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New SIDS
...or Sudden Intel Death Syndrome. This morning the Intel iMac did not restart upon a mouseclick—it apparently expired. A six-week lifespan is not something I look for in a costly piece of kit. I look forward to reporting on my negotiations with Apple Customer Service.

from the backup laptop,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New rutroh
Am watching for your reports.
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
New Geebus...
Just Re-Format and ReInstall... Just Like Windows.

Oh, err, umm, yeah, You know if you'd just use Windows, you'd know what to do in this case.

I hate having to explain everything.

(Yes, this was a cheeky response)

Non-Cheeky below:

D3Wd, teh 5uXx0Rz!

Let, us know how it goes.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New Apple response via email
The SMU (System Management Unit) is a microcontroller chip on the logic board that controls all power functions for your computer. If your computer is experiencing any power issue, resetting the SMU may resolve it. The SMU controls several functions, including:

- Telling the computer when to turn on, turn off, sleep, wake, idle, and so on.
- Handling system resets from various commands.
- Controlling the fans.

Note that resetting the SMU does not reset the PRAM. Resetting the SMU will not resolve issues in which your computer is unresponsive\ufffdin these situations, restarting your computer will generally suffice. If your computer isn't responding, perform these steps one at a time, in this order, until the issue has been resolved:

1. Force Quit (Option-Command-Escape).
2. Restart (Control-Command-Power).
3. Force Shut Down (press the power button for 10 seconds).

Resetting the SMU can resolve some computer issues such as not starting up, not displaying video, sleep issues, fan noise issues, and so on. If your computer still exhibits these types of issues even after you've restarted the computer, try resetting the SMU. To reset the SMU on one of these iMacs:

1. Turn off the computer by choosing Shut Down from the Apple menu, or by holding the power button until the computer turns off.
2. Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord.
3. Wait 10 seconds.
4. Plug in the power cord while simultaneously pressing and holding the power button on the back of the computer.
5. Let go of the power button.
6. Press the power button once more to start up your iMac.
Needless to say, this odd dance must needs await my return from San Francisco at the close of the workday. One hopes, of course, that the issue is so easily resolvable, but it is still off-putting to have to confront it at all.

cordially,
New You know what they say about pioneers.... Hope it works!
New Roaring back from the dead
—the operative word being "roaring" at first. The SMU reset worked as advertised, except that when the machine revived, its formerly whisper-quiet cooling mechanism sounded more like an Airbus A300 as heard from inside the passenger compartment. Another call to Apple and between a brisk round of permissions verification and repair and an attempted reboot into "open firmware" (which didn't appear to take) we were yielded up a to a proper desktop with the blessed Silence of the Fans, and that's where we are right this moment. I must say, though, that I feel a little like the guy who adopted the cute puppy only to find that it will not be housebroken...

cordially,
New glad to know it was only resting
Have fun,
Carl Forde
     SIDS - (rcareaga) - (6)
         rutroh - (Steve Lowe)
         Geebus... - (folkert)
         Apple response via email - (rcareaga) - (3)
             You know what they say about pioneers.... Hope it works! -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Roaring back from the dead - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     glad to know it was only resting -NT - (cforde)

You keep using that word, but I do not think that it means what you think it does.
68 ms