IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Any way to update a Linux Live CD or Install CD?
I'll be making some fresh Linux CDs to send a friend who only has dialup Internet service. (Hi Ashton!) I'm snagging the most recent versions I can, but presumably the downloadable CDs aren't as up to date as the version that would result from installation and updating over the Internet.

Is there any way to download the appropriate patches and prepare another CD that he could use as, say, a local repository for fixes? Any other way to do something like this for a person on dialup?

The distros in question are Ubuntu 5.10, Kubuntu 5.10, SimplyMEPIS 3.4-3, Kanotix 2005-04 and KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN .

Thanks a bunch for any pointers.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Painful
I've only dealt with Knoppix so no idea how this applies to the others.

If you want to run it off the CD, the only way IMHO is to remaster it which requires a setup with as much memory+swap as the uncompressed image. Plus the procedure is two pages long.

With installation on a harddrive, APT repository CDs can be built which can be added to /etc/sources.list, or you can just supply a bare collection of packages for installation with dpkg.
New Thanks. It looked that way. I've given up on that part.
     Any way to update a Linux Live CD or Install CD? - (Another Scott) - (2)
         Painful - (scoenye) - (1)
             Thanks. It looked that way. I've given up on that part. -NT - (Another Scott)

Everything is chromed in the future!
37 ms