IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I don't buy it
If all I'm doing is re-coding a well known algorithm in the latest fad language then maybe I buy it.

But some organizations (like my employer) are pushing the bounds of what computers can do. Either through original research or development based on academic research.

I heard an interesting talk today about distributed "eventually consistent" caches which are kept up to date using epidemiologic (also known as "gossip") algorithms. Its a slick kind of idea that allow an overall reduction in cost by letting us do more with less hardware (this year's theme).

The organization's success depends on lowering costs like this and creating new capabilities like this is most definitely an "accomplishment".

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:36:11 AM EDT
New What I was trying to say...
was that just getting your job done shouldn't be a major accomplishment for you.

That doesn't mean that in your job you won't have accomplishments.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New quite often in large corps org A doesnt realize that org b
does exactlky what they are trying to invent. Top down comms are essential as well as cross company connections
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
     Hey Todd, know this guy? - (Yendor) - (33)
         ICLRPD (new thread) - (broomberg)
         Most people from there would be clueful - (tuberculosis) - (31)
             I resemble that remark - (drewk) - (30)
                 I'd get 4, possibly 3, on his test - (ben_tilly) - (29)
                     We're pretty flexible - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                         I stand by my assertion - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                             I thought you were into Ruby for a while...? -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 I was. I like it. Didn't do it for work though. -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                 Speaking of which... - (admin) - (1)
                                     Whew! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                     No need to apologize - (drewk) - (22)
                         Sounds to me like you're a Bob - (ben_tilly) - (21)
                             Bob annoys me. - (broomberg)
                             Not even close - (drewk) - (19)
                                 That's fair - (ben_tilly) - (18)
                                     also reporting, like sysadmins will always be with us - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Perhaps I'll stick with that for a while then :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                     Spot on - (drewk) - (15)
                                         Doing your job shouldn't be an accomplishment - (ben_tilly) - (14)
                                             Not sure where you get that from the link - (drewk) - (9)
                                                 Im satisfied by getting better errors each time I run it -NT - (boxley)
                                                 Well, what do YOU mean by accomplishment? - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                     Hmmphh. I resemble that remark. - (broomberg)
                                                     You've misunderstood both me and the article you linked - (drewk) - (3)
                                                         I *really* don't believe I misread the article - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                             I don't think he's a fan of CMM either - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                 He's not. :-) - (ben_tilly)
                                                     OT: 2 days before running something - (admin) - (1)
                                                         I went back and forth on that before saying it - (ben_tilly)
                                             I don't buy it - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                 What I was trying to say... - (ben_tilly)
                                                 quite often in large corps org A doesnt realize that org b - (boxley)
                                             Getting out of bed in the morning is my major accomplishment -NT - (ChrisR)

I WAS HAVING FUN. CAPS EASIER READ.
69 ms