IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I stand by my assertion
Perl wastes memory so quickly that if you have to think hard about memory, then Perl is the wrong language. Your description doesn't contradict that - you're just outlining how Perl can fit into an infrastructure where some bits are definitely not good fits for Perl.

As for being a polyglot, I have to agree with you about the advantages. I just haven't put out the energy to be one. Perl isn't really my only language. I can read a number of them, and have written toy programs in quite a few. In order of decreasing frequency, at work I've done Perl, SQL, JavaScript, VB, TCL, PL/SQL, DOS, sh, C, and C++. (I may be missing a few. And my C++ was limited to editing a list of known characters in a data structure.) But I'd only be confident in answering questions about the first three.

If I was more motivated, I'd fix that shortcoming. But I'm not. Among other reasons I'm not because I'm painfully aware that I have the wrong personality to enjoy software development. So at some point I should really do something else. (That said, I don't know what I'd prefer to do...)

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New I thought you were into Ruby for a while...?
New I was. I like it. Didn't do it for work though.
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Speaking of which...
This is how all technical guides should be written:

[link|http://www.poignantguide.net/ruby/chapter-2.html|http://www.poignantg...by/chapter-2.html]

:-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Whew! :-)
     Hey Todd, know this guy? - (Yendor) - (33)
         ICLRPD (new thread) - (broomberg)
         Most people from there would be clueful - (tuberculosis) - (31)
             I resemble that remark - (drewk) - (30)
                 I'd get 4, possibly 3, on his test - (ben_tilly) - (29)
                     We're pretty flexible - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                         I stand by my assertion - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                             I thought you were into Ruby for a while...? -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 I was. I like it. Didn't do it for work though. -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                 Speaking of which... - (admin) - (1)
                                     Whew! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                     No need to apologize - (drewk) - (22)
                         Sounds to me like you're a Bob - (ben_tilly) - (21)
                             Bob annoys me. - (broomberg)
                             Not even close - (drewk) - (19)
                                 That's fair - (ben_tilly) - (18)
                                     also reporting, like sysadmins will always be with us - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Perhaps I'll stick with that for a while then :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                     Spot on - (drewk) - (15)
                                         Doing your job shouldn't be an accomplishment - (ben_tilly) - (14)
                                             Not sure where you get that from the link - (drewk) - (9)
                                                 Im satisfied by getting better errors each time I run it -NT - (boxley)
                                                 Well, what do YOU mean by accomplishment? - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                     Hmmphh. I resemble that remark. - (broomberg)
                                                     You've misunderstood both me and the article you linked - (drewk) - (3)
                                                         I *really* don't believe I misread the article - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                             I don't think he's a fan of CMM either - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                 He's not. :-) - (ben_tilly)
                                                     OT: 2 days before running something - (admin) - (1)
                                                         I went back and forth on that before saying it - (ben_tilly)
                                             I don't buy it - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                 What I was trying to say... - (ben_tilly)
                                                 quite often in large corps org A doesnt realize that org b - (boxley)
                                             Getting out of bed in the morning is my major accomplishment -NT - (ChrisR)

Holy cran.
113 ms