IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New We're pretty flexible
Most people here are polyglots and we generally let you code in what you know and evaluate you based on that. For a perl heavy person, I'd demur and get someone else to do the coding bits and I'd throw algorithm problems. OTOH, I'm all over the nooks and crannies if you claim to know Java or C++ (or HTML or CSS for that matter).

As for OO, mostly we're talking theory and I usually ask for a model of a domain that may or may not have inheritance in it (your call). I also tailor the OO questions to the language you know best. So I don't ask J-heads about virtual functions or virtual inheritance, but I'm all over that if you say you know C++.

Perl is a big (and key) language - it would be a plus but polylinguist are much preferred over single language people for obvious reasons (one trick ponies only know one trick is pretty true I've found).

As for drew's assertion about the database being key - there is very little database work and the average developer doesn't work with one. The architecture is unique and for practical purposes, for most developers there is no DB and CRUD means nothing in this environment.

"And if you need to think hard about how much memory you're using, then Perl was really the wrong language to use.)"

Oh, I don't know. A well used pattern is big chunk of rigid machinery (C/C++ libraries) controlled flexibly from little scripts that are easy to modify (Perl in this case). But again, you can't get by knowing only one language.

I came into programming similarly. I got my OO sense from being a stack head (Hypercard) before moving on to "real" languages like F77, then C, and C++. I'm pretty much a petroleum engineer with awful career timing.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:24:21 AM EDT
New I stand by my assertion
Perl wastes memory so quickly that if you have to think hard about memory, then Perl is the wrong language. Your description doesn't contradict that - you're just outlining how Perl can fit into an infrastructure where some bits are definitely not good fits for Perl.

As for being a polyglot, I have to agree with you about the advantages. I just haven't put out the energy to be one. Perl isn't really my only language. I can read a number of them, and have written toy programs in quite a few. In order of decreasing frequency, at work I've done Perl, SQL, JavaScript, VB, TCL, PL/SQL, DOS, sh, C, and C++. (I may be missing a few. And my C++ was limited to editing a list of known characters in a data structure.) But I'd only be confident in answering questions about the first three.

If I was more motivated, I'd fix that shortcoming. But I'm not. Among other reasons I'm not because I'm painfully aware that I have the wrong personality to enjoy software development. So at some point I should really do something else. (That said, I don't know what I'd prefer to do...)

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New I thought you were into Ruby for a while...?
New I was. I like it. Didn't do it for work though.
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Speaking of which...
This is how all technical guides should be written:

[link|http://www.poignantguide.net/ruby/chapter-2.html|http://www.poignantg...by/chapter-2.html]

:-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Whew! :-)
     Hey Todd, know this guy? - (Yendor) - (33)
         ICLRPD (new thread) - (broomberg)
         Most people from there would be clueful - (tuberculosis) - (31)
             I resemble that remark - (drewk) - (30)
                 I'd get 4, possibly 3, on his test - (ben_tilly) - (29)
                     We're pretty flexible - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                         I stand by my assertion - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                             I thought you were into Ruby for a while...? -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 I was. I like it. Didn't do it for work though. -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                 Speaking of which... - (admin) - (1)
                                     Whew! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                     No need to apologize - (drewk) - (22)
                         Sounds to me like you're a Bob - (ben_tilly) - (21)
                             Bob annoys me. - (broomberg)
                             Not even close - (drewk) - (19)
                                 That's fair - (ben_tilly) - (18)
                                     also reporting, like sysadmins will always be with us - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Perhaps I'll stick with that for a while then :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                     Spot on - (drewk) - (15)
                                         Doing your job shouldn't be an accomplishment - (ben_tilly) - (14)
                                             Not sure where you get that from the link - (drewk) - (9)
                                                 Im satisfied by getting better errors each time I run it -NT - (boxley)
                                                 Well, what do YOU mean by accomplishment? - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                     Hmmphh. I resemble that remark. - (broomberg)
                                                     You've misunderstood both me and the article you linked - (drewk) - (3)
                                                         I *really* don't believe I misread the article - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                             I don't think he's a fan of CMM either - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                 He's not. :-) - (ben_tilly)
                                                     OT: 2 days before running something - (admin) - (1)
                                                         I went back and forth on that before saying it - (ben_tilly)
                                             I don't buy it - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                 What I was trying to say... - (ben_tilly)
                                                 quite often in large corps org A doesnt realize that org b - (boxley)
                                             Getting out of bed in the morning is my major accomplishment -NT - (ChrisR)

Able to chew and walk gum at the same time.
66 ms