IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Some Qs + Any suggested lock-down templates for Ex Pee?
Aware as I am, of the cracker-kits carried by Andrew and others, in the course of disinfection -- I recognize that the primary reason for all the Heroic efforts is about: somehow saving data, most-often for the fact of there having been no regular backups made. Obviously at some stage of manifold invasions: a full wipe is the sane alternative. But are any other measures best taken during / prior to a planned wipe?

ie - as it is clear that a repartitioning, reformat does not erase but a tiny fraction of the magnetic domains.. time permitting, I usually do a DOD diskwipe via gdisk. Am I missing something else?

Q: Disk editors are as old as disks; do we have any evidence of a resuscitation of a previous, complex invasion, now no longer in FAT (or disk index in the other formats): via a pattern search launched by a subsequent bug invasion? (This in the case where a specific IP address-range is being targetted, maybe repeatedly.)

Q-2: BIOS CMOS - given the special rewrite voltage drill, particularly for Flash: is there any known case of a rewrite to CMOS as might, in concert with above excavation - resurrect a call-home stub? (Since calls originating from within system appear to be generally less-well monitored than vice versa - even amongst the wary.)

Now I can appreciate that, given the variety of BIOS authors (though I note today - fewer and fewer?) these approaches may well be too iffy a plot, especially for any of the usual iggerant scripters-Class to bring off - but with the rise of Corporate funded malware, I wonder merely: is this Coming? (Also - I can't conceive of how any such dastardry could possibly be accessed - save perhaps nastiness to the MBR during boot / talking to a spawned redirect in the TCP stack?)

Q-gdisk: Anyone aware if gdisk can convert NTFS (or whatever Doze calls it) to FAT-32? (This whether or not one partition is later reconverted on Install, as in dual-boot machinations.) Unclear as I read the Symantec specs.

Lastly:
Given the plethora of services in -Home or -"Professional" Doze:
I note there are several Lists of suggested mode changes - from auto to manual or manual to disabled. And obv. a general script would need to have branches to accommodate use of whatever network / or none, etc.

Since youse gals n'guys no doubt roll your own for every specific box and its intended service, you can do so via daily familiarity with the non-ergonomic menus + any bitter past experience.

But among the plethora of self-proclaimed gurus Out There - has anyone a link or two for a recommended approach towards scripting of these hundreds of alterations needed - to run either of these toy OSs for more than (dozens of minutes) ?

For us amateurs, the list of dependencies is itself daunting, particularly in the made-up Fuzzy-faux-Friendly argot that Doze wallows in; it is difficult to assess the intended aim of lots of those lengthy silly-names. (Trying 'disabled' for effect: one-at-a-time seems a futile exercise, if the ultimately Safest one.)

Out-of-box is so obviously Billy-grade Stupid; surely by this time, there is something akin to universal agreement re many basic installations? (especially those as do not contemplate any Remote access at all, plan never to run a web site, nor need activated -- that plethora of Group descriptions, access permissions -- as surely confound the poor bastards trying to use AD to run some small bizness.)

(And since I haven't run down the drivers I'd need to wipe -Home from my otherwise nice notebook, I suppose {sigh} I've nothing to lose in an attempt to make that POS somehow Serviceable too, coincident with GRUB grokking. Hey.. this sucker now has 60 GB to waste! vs 1.2 on the poor old Tecra of yore.)

Not looking for a cookbook / too bloody much typing -- just a vetted link or two re some script-run formulas that have proven to be sane.

Gracias,
I

Ed: Q's.

New Some answers.
Is this a continuation of [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=243082|#243082]? Very few virus infections will survive wiping the hard drive.

WARNING: I have never installed XP. [link|http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/08/04/xp|This] is probably a good indication of what you're in for if you decide to reinstall XP:

56. Wait. Time passes. It is getting dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

It took him 146 steps...

Q: Disk editors are as old as disks; do we have any evidence of a resuscitation of a previous, complex invasion, now no longer in FAT (or disk index in the other formats): via a pattern search launched by a subsequent bug invasion? (This in the case where a specific IP address-range is being targetted, maybe repeatedly.)

I don't know of anything like that.

Viruses are just computer programs. As long as they don't get resident in RAM, they're just bits on the hard drive. As such, they can be removed just like any other file on the drive. But see below. In other words, if you look at the hardware with Linux then any PC virus present won't be activated.

Q-2: BIOS CMOS - given the special rewrite voltage drill, particularly for Flash: is there any known case of a rewrite to CMOS as might, in concert with above excavation - resurrect a call-home stub?

Not that I know of. Especially if you use a DOS utility to write the .bin file to the CMOS, there shouldn't be any issue with a virus infecting the CMOS. There should be CRC checks and so forth even with Windows utilities that write to the CMOS.

Symantec mentions that the [link|http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/cih.html|CIH virus] can damage the CMOS on Win9x machine (it doesn't run on NT+). I don't know of a CMOS virus that somehow acts like a backdoor or talks to the internet. CIH damaged files - it wasn't a backdoor.

Q-gdisk: Anyone aware if gdisk can convert NTFS (or whatever Doze calls it) to FAT-32? (This whether or not one partition is later reconverted on Install, as in dual-boot machinations.) Unclear as I read the Symantec specs.

I haven't used that myself. Presumably it works like FDISK in that it lets you delete and create partitions. So it shouldn't care how the partitions are formatted. There's something called [link|http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314097/EN-US/|CONVERT.EXE] that converts FAT32 to NTFS, but it doesn't work the other way.

I suspect that if you delete the partition in G/FDISK, reboot, then format the partition during the install you'll be fine.

But among the plethora of self-proclaimed gurus Out There - has anyone a link or two for a recommended approach towards scripting of these hundreds of alterations needed - to run either of these toy OSs for more than (dozens of minutes) ?

I think if you're depending on being able to run update scripts before an unpatched, networked XP box gets infected or compromised, I think you're fighting a losing battle. The way to update a new XP install is to install the OS, install updates from a CD, and install an antivirus and antispyware package before it's hooked up to the Internet. At that point, you can turn off services, etc., before your friends start browsing the virus sites. :-)

But all of this really shouldn't be necessary. You should generally be able to disinfect the machine without such extreme reinstall measures. It may be faster to wipe and start over, but it sounds like something else is going on.

If this is the same machine you were fighting with before, did you have any luck with the stand-alone virus scanners out there? I would be very surprised if a good antivirus package with updated virus definitions came across a PC with viruses that it couldn't identify.

Hope this helps a bit! Good luck!!!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Some answers.
Thanks, Scott - once again.

(I've installed XP via Restore - a couple times; working next on XP-Pro, with variant partition-sizes. She has - a half-dozen times - but not generic.)

Continuation of previous, yes. I'm taking it-all as Comedy though; am willing to kinda kibitz and guide "a dedicated party's" doing most of the tedious on-line sleuthing, assimilating, note-taking.

Meanwhile - I'm experimenting on the notebook (now undergoing a second repartitioning - to see if.. once merely partitioned -still NTFS- but Not reformatted via fdisk: my assigned Extended Partition space (for dual-boot, natch) shall not be auto-wiped by the single-minded Restore set / on This try.

Having seen the log printouts, I see the script Kiddie's methodical creation of groups, permissions, then closing off possible avenues of rectification: by setting Their PWs and accessibility (like 'Guest', for ex.). Lots of typing to create all those HKEYS - there simply has to be a comparable script for fixing a Wide-Open new install - - as follows a similar drill: for Defense.

(The world of computer users and fixers is an even more stupid-stupid place, if this obvious ploy re XP Hasn't been accomplished) - I must assume I just haven't found one yet, in whatever cockamamie Doze script-language is used for Corp mass-installs -- and then The TEMPLATE for this purpose.

And yes, I grok that every bug is an ap, is somewhere an .exe (starts with MZ) and is a sequence therefore, of bytes. Alex's link confirms that at least one BIOS bug reached circulation: that answers one of my queries. I'd have thought that such a virus would manifest during boot, alter MBR content (or at least interpretation) - but would need some stub hidden in Registry.?. or something like that.

A DOD-wiped, repartitioned HD Cannot contain disk-editor-accessible code for pattern-recognition by say, a subsequent (Part-II for Second Attack?) piece of nastiness -- that is what I supposed and still do.

(She can do an RR in sleep now - and my only denying force is waiting for #$^*%# fdisk to insist on a Diosk Test at every single step of repartitioning.)

Appreciate that a disk inventory via *nix would evade the interference with APIs that mask display of any file manager trying to operate in a diseased, well.. further-diseased than normal - Doze box. Not that agile yet w/ Linux.
I think if you're depending on being able to run update scripts before an unpatched, networked XP box gets infected or compromised, I think you're fighting a losing battle. The way to update a new XP install is to install the OS, install updates from a CD, and install an antivirus and antispyware package before it's hooked up to the Internet. At that point, you can turn off services, etc., before your friends start browsing the virus sites. :-)
Nope, we're following that sequence commencing with DL'd fixpacks, via Apple, yet! (surprised Beast would talk to an Apple..) - finding out next how to get cumulative patches (for all-at-once install.)

She was smart - paid real$ to get router setup properly and XP sanitized = 3 house calls; two after the invasion. They did none of the things right, even after two tries at unnecessary bug-fixing: it was already RRR'd! They wasted her time and $ (there was no data to be 'recovered'.) The evidence is there / documented. Court will be coming up unless reimbursement, also for a % of the pain/suffering. I wouldn't miss that show for anything - may post the terse opening allegation, excerpts from the appendix, rebuttal and evidence to be presented.

The 'script' I'm looking for is simply for lock-down;
this tedious task can use some automation (at least as efficiently as do the Kiddies - while undoing your barriers.) As for whether the gaggle of SpyBot clones find most-all .?. remember Post 198346 - Andrew's pretty detailed bug-hunt saga on a Vaio?

Then too, after this worm/trapdoor/whatever finished its methodical reconfig: SpyBot, AdAware would take all of a second to return "finished scan: OK". AVG flailed and died. I saw that on my infected notebook, before I wiped it. (I've also - earlier, elsewhere - seen ZA True Vector trashed.)

These are the reasons she is not relying on anything less than a careful litany of turn-offs AND all the usual nostrums AND double-firewall: ZA-Pro + Linksys buttoned down - with attacks, at each phase:

(ie. turn off router firewall! and hammer poor paraplegic XP, with only ZA to intervene. Pass that? Router back on. Test for "phoning-out" from within: is ZA doing its job of Alerts re inner activity? There are test-virii for this; are we having fun yet?)

Just maybe it will then run unscathed until the next New bug makes the rounds - gets in before the patches arrive: always days later. Wash, rinse. See? that's Why a script is needed:

When you expect this suppurating POS to go belly-up periodically - RRR is trivial compared with time for manually FIXING the out-of-box Experience. One More Time. That will be my attitude too, as I run Ex Pee on mine - (until I can find the 98 drivers.) But then, I'm on dialup: clearly less hazardous than her fire-hose hi-speed.

Anyway - it's fun so far, though it takes time away from the *nix Project and those other things in Real life.. Just a variant on NY Times Saturday Crossword :-)

Cheers,
moi

New I understand now. What a nightmare.
I'm glad I haven't had to go through anything like that. Yet.

It sounds like there's a market for Aaxnet's Fort Knox - A collection of tools to disinfect, lock-down and guard your Winders so nasties can't break in and steal your gold.

I'll keep looking around - I agree that someone should have come up with some scripts on how to do these things in a reasonably automated way. I'll let you know if I find anything. Otherwise, pick Andrew's brain. :-)

Oh, before I go:
Meanwhile - I'm experimenting on the notebook (now undergoing a second repartitioning - to see if.. once merely partitioned -still NTFS- but Not reformatted via fdisk: my assigned Extended Partition space (for dual-boot, natch) shall not be auto-wiped by the single-minded Restore set / on This try.

I don't think you'll be successful.

I have a T41 that has XP restore disks. When it was shipped, it came with a FAT32 partition. When the laptop is started for the first time [link|http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Hardware/Installing_SuSE_9_0_to_dual_boot_on_an_IBM_ThinkPad_T41_with_XP|it runs a script] that converts the partition to NTFS, installs XP, creates the system "pre-desktop" restore partition, etc. It's a pain for people who want to run Linux on it because you need to figure out a way to keep that script from running if you want to keep the Win partition FAT32 (so it can be resized by most Linux distros without incident) and keep the pre-desktop partition (if you don't have the restore CDs - though they can be requested from IBM). If you ever run the XP system restore stuff from the pre-desktop partition on the disk, it'll restore everything to the state after that first boot - meaning all of the partitions will be reset to the original configuration, wiping out Linux, etc., in the process. At least that's my understanding - I've never done it. If it works differently for you, please report back. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New A good checklist for securing XP.
[link|http://www.techbargains.com/hottips/hottip13/index.cfm|TechBargains] has a good hyperlinked list of things to do to secure XP. Microsoft has some articles on doing a "lockdown" of user accounts, but it doesn't seem to have anything comparable for limiting internet access (other than XP's limited firewall, of course).

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Interim report..
I had partitioned a 60 GB (Notebook! HD) with
Primary 20 GB "C:"
Extended Partition: 20 GB (Assigned one logical drive for now, D:)
..this left ~18 GB of free space at end.

I thought Restore disk - in worst case, anticipating presentation of a blank new HD - could complete the format choice, not needing Any format applied within partitions (as would, of course be converted to HPFS in due course.)

Nope.

Brain-dead Restore disk had No Idea what to do with such a disk (as would be the case had I indeed a merely low-level formatted new HD..)

Formatted C: and D: - FAT-32 as is fdisk's only repertoire (Jeez that's OLD)

Nope; can't find a disk (!! cretin)

Remove Swiss-army-knife XP-boot disk; add mine with sys.com
Sys the sucker - yup, transferred; *IT* could find a drive.
fdisk / mbr just because - exits with no error.

ie a Home User had best have a toolkit, know basic DOS - to replace that hP hard drive.

NOW ... Ex Pee 'Restore' notices a disk and the partitions.
Wants me to select Something to do with the free space; figure it can't hurt (?) to tell it to go ahead and assign it a partition/logical drive.
[Hah.. some of us never learn]

Reinstall completes with the tedious necessary evasions of "Unknown User" and "no thanks, don't start that Wizard"

Runs; replace the Garish with 'Classic' face and go to put a Shortcut to file manager on desktop.

W.T.F. - Not. Much. *There* on C:

The Artificial Dumbth Algortithm - decided to put most-all of the install on F:
(ALL those bloated files with an F:\\ in their absolute address!)

[Space reserved for any foreign epithets naming syphilitic camels, their ancestors and coprophilic activities]

So then, a couple things emerge re THIS Restore disk (not quite as you described re IBM)

1) Yes you Can force it to recognize a Primary Active Partition.
(Am not sure that above would apply to prior -Home Restore disks on a second try with more details in other partitions.. Hope not to learn this piece of trivia the hard way, either.)

I am using [\ufffd] ""Professional"" on this RRR, from the later notebook: it's all for Science, natch.

2) And yes, I presumed from previous sagas - not only Must Doze be installed first, recognizing as it does: no other software exists. Implict was that, with the in-bed Corporate Marketing relationships of mfg. - so would the Restore faux-OS versions insure that, if your Doze stuff dies beyond even zIWE-grade resurrection:

you buy a Retail package / or prepare to reinstall the entire HD.
Am I right sir, am I right?
Breakfast with crocodiles.. when you put this stuff on innocent magnetic materials.

[\ufffd] As likely all here know - while ""Prof"" contains yet more layers of Enterprise, AD-ready Group management gobbledygook, all mixed in with the Useful pieces: there are at least a few more things you Can turn off, that demand Registry hacks in the intentionally crippled -Home.

ie
[Give the people needing the Most protection: The Least
/ Pure Redmond (or, pure Cheney?)
And leave them fewer security tools, even after they find out w2hat the out-of-box Experience: just cost them.]

I shall rely upon modularization of the AD-related infestation by XP-Lite\ufffd tp greatly assist in the vacuum cleaning of this Monstrous kluge.

So then next:

Wipe, leave the F: drive in that partition. See if I can get the sucker to leave F alone, as it did D (CDROM == E, as would have been changed)

Geronimo . . .

New I had some success with the Ewido product.
[link|http://www.ewido.net/en/|Ewido] is not free, per se, but they have a free download that you can use for 2 weeks. Long enough to do the job.

One of my wife's friends relies on me to get her out of PC troubles now and then and so I spent a couple of days trying to fix her system. This was my first attempt to clean out a badly compromised system.

The lady uses a dial-up connection to the Internet on Win-XP Home system. I helped her pick it out years ago. Her symptoms were that after booting up the system, the only thing she could do was move the mouse and watch the cursor move. Nothing else would function.

I will spare you my agonies (with much help gleaned from [link|http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads29.html|MajorGeeks]) but the machine had 15 variations of Bagle, 3 variations of Backdoor and other stuff as well. Her Zone Alarm was borked and at least at one point AdAware zipped through tests in no time finding nothing. Obviously rigged. After cleaning out some stuff, I got to see 60 instances of IE trying to go to various sites.

At least a couple of the problems were that the system was pre-SP2 (Service Pack 2) which being ~300 MB is not exactly something one downloads on a dial-up connection and the other is she uses OE with the "preview" mode ON. She claimed that she never opened strange attachments, but who knows.

Anyways, while in Safe mode and disconnected from any network, I ran Ewido from a CD and cleaned out about 1100 "objects" i.e. files, registry settings, etc. Some of the files were system files. I was then able to connect the machine to my network (with the other Windows machines OFF) and get System updates from Microsoft, AdAware, and install Search and Destroy. Search and Destroy did find a Registry entry for Bagle that Ewido missed.

The machine seems OK now and is back in service. I wouldn't bet my life on it being clean though.

As far as BIOS attacks are concerned, look [link|http://adventuresinsecurity.com/blog/?p=28|here]. It can be done. When in doubt, get a BIOS update diskette for the motherboard. I suppose even that could be anticipated by the root kit. But, I'm guessing the root kits can't be generic for all motherboards without getting huge. If the BIOS chip is removable, as some are, one can always have a back-up copy.

As a side note, a removable BIOS chip, should be a requirement for motherboards you buy. I once unintentionally "updated" the BIOS on a mobo with a diskette intended for a different mobo. The BIOS chip was soldered in and so the mobo had to be put in the trash. I did save the battery! :)
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
New Gracias! Alex -
for a quite comparable example. I too have witnessed AdAware and SpyBot zip through a "search" in nanoseconds: so obvious that a Newbie spotted -- as bogus.

Nor is that disablement any longer mysterious to moi: when one contemplates Owning the APIs - such that the display seen from any file manager - elides the name/presence of the Nasty. Apparently after partial cleaning, the above tools then commence being of use, as you found.

I read some of her printed logs, all since erased, of the script being run by this Kiddie; Over a 12 min. period (she wasn't observing machine then), a complex sequence of groups, permissions created - then access to ways of neutralizing same: closed. Clearly there Has to be a template of equal automation, as can be applied to a naked out-of-box version. Still looking . . .

(In present case, an RR is not even an inconvenience, any more; she can do that half-asleep ;^> - fortunately she had no important 'data' to need meticulous recovery, though she lost some pictures. :(

She'd alredy obtained Ewido, along with AVG and above Necessaries already installed. Obvious that, it takes a whole village to keep any copy of XP limping along til the next 'sploit happens, trashes -- then await next cure announcement.. What a way to poison a planet.

As I mention to Scott, I'm approaching this stuff as Comedy.
(Else it would be a waste of emotions in wrathful Kill-Billy/Bally mode; 'taint worth the waste of endorphins.)

It's a POS. Everybody who knows anything Knows it is.
So I/we two 'here' will just have to suck it up: until she can - in time - arabesque into a dual-boot with Linux, so that her new hP notebook is good for Something.. useable. Too many $ wasted recently, to chuck it.

(Though I expect she'll be happy enough in future -- just using her new Powerbook for all but that ONE ap that needs both Billyware + The Web {sob}. Kinda waste of a new notebook...)

I'm in same boat re her 'old' hP, of course ... {sigh}
I'm forced to learn more bug-lore than I wanted to; 'good' by some perverse interpretation.
Billy, We Hardly Knew Ye afore we had ye drawn and quartered -
~~ JFK book title, for the newcomers to the Play.

Thanks - al punte links. Passed on already.

moi

I deem it a palpable $Crime - that Billyware, a product Marketed to and For! the insouciant, is dropped into their lap with no Install-SWITCH - at least between "full office LAN" and "Home user needing no remote access, no Groups, no Guest, no ___" yada. There's a common denominator of Things to be Turned Off emerging from the countles sites trying to make this POS stumble onwards. Clearly: Bally gives not a Damn about any single User's predicament. May his karma come due.. Oh, just any old avalanche...
New NTFS->FAT32 conversion
Short version: No.

Long version: No.

NTFS is an extremely rich filesystem that has things in it (streams, metadata, journalling) that just cannot be represented in FAT32.

FAT32 is, in any event, a truely crappy filesystem; I can't think of a single circumstance in which you'd prefer it over any other (other than the sheer ability to read it, that is).

We have Windows boxes here that we power-cycle all day long, and they never miss a beat, because there are many, many crappy things about Windows, but NTFS isn't one of them.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New Embedded Devices usually use FAT.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New Was thinking of compatibility, not excellence
Also thinking simplistically:
OSX ergo any *nix, I suppose (and maybe <= OS9??) natively grok FAT, as I have seen with own baby blues. Handy for getting Beastware data off, obv. Unaware if M$ NTSF (undoubtedly 'customised-to-noncompliance') -- plays nearly as nicely (?) Yeah.. ignorance produces fuzzy decisions.

And in practice, in this case re the convenient use of fdisk or gdisk:
I expected later, on *nix install in those Extended Partitions, to reformat to an appropriate selection (at which point I would have to learn if Reiserfs / 'journalling' are buzzwords a non-db-using Admin needs to concern pretty little head about.)

Thanks for reminder, but I had not totally missed the archaic nature of FAT, its limited menu of attributes for precisely-graded security AND its crutch of regular defragging -- thus, wonder if the M$ + Symantec co-prosperity-sphere assured that NTSF would need defragging [Tool$] too? (Surely a corporate pact worthy of both.)

Ashton

New Forget about FAT except for USB thumb drives.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New Ouch - so those are useless re HPFS?
Does that imply --> to do sneakernet, one needs to save a small partition formatted in FAT, xfer data there: then it's accessible via those handy little buggers?

New No. The format on the flash drives is FAT.
As long as your OS understands how to talk to a USB drive, it'll be able to read it because just about every OS can read and write to FAT. You almost never need to format a flash drive - it comes preformatted as FAT.

FAT32 hard drive partitions are a different beast.

So no, you don't need to worry about how you format your hard drive as far as talking to a USB flash drive is concerned. Linux, XP, Win2k, OS X, WinMe, Win98SE can all talk to USB ports and can read flash drives. You can write to it in OS X and read it in Winders and Linux, and vice versa. The flash drive doesn't care what the native hard drive file system format is.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Ah, that makes more sense
It's the missing half of Greg's terse comment :-)

(ie formatting one of those dongles in other-than FAT - if even possible - would be counterproductive)

New 'Process Guard' - Beastware nanny from Oz
Any one else tried this? Yeah, it's all so boring, probably futile: actually keeping XP form myriad self-destructs?? Why should we succeed, when so many self-styled-Pros have yet to keep that sucker working for the unwashed (or the washed.) But WTF, it's a free copy (and worth every cent, if one's own time is equally valueless.)

Recommended by a W2K-user friend who (with vastly more patience for evaluations than I) - liked it enough to pay actual $$.

[link|http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/|http://www.diamondcs....au/processguard/]

Hmmm... Lite-PC (which I may claim to have thoroughly vetted, after 4.5 years?) - this, plus a Registry-massaging gem from Oz, enroute from a helpful IW'er:

It appears that there's something Not-in the water, Down Under - whereas ackshul innovation Up Here has gelled-solid, after all these decades of Billy-infection. Just me-too "scans for what Already Screwed You" - seems the bulk of stuff being hyped here.

Smarter in Oz? or just not drugged outta their minds, (also not being preached to by lame Leaders, on a daily basis.) (?)

Further report, after a couple Beast-boxes are exposed to web.. in the ongoing joint-efforts. Hell, maybe no one on IWE even has to run this sucker..

Have to evaluate how much low/pointer memory this eats, of course; but the ref'd reviews from site (some old - and for earlier versions) indicate unusual satisfaction.. by some Picky Chaps.

Ex-Pee: like Woods Metal pitons or -

A V-16 side-valve engine with cardboard main bearings and pot-metal connecting rods - but chrome plated.

New ICLRPD. (new thread)
Created as new thread #248440 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=248440|ICLRPD.]
     Some Qs + Any suggested lock-down templates for Ex Pee? - (Ashton) - (16)
         Some answers. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Re: Some answers. - (Ashton) - (3)
                 I understand now. What a nightmare. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     A good checklist for securing XP. - (Another Scott)
                     Interim report.. - (Ashton)
         I had some success with the Ewido product. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Gracias! Alex - - (Ashton)
         NTFS->FAT32 conversion - (pwhysall) - (6)
             Embedded Devices usually use FAT. -NT - (folkert)
             Was thinking of compatibility, not excellence - (Ashton) - (4)
                 Forget about FAT except for USB thumb drives. -NT - (folkert) - (3)
                     Ouch - so those are useless re HPFS? - (Ashton) - (2)
                         No. The format on the flash drives is FAT. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Ah, that makes more sense - (Ashton)
         'Process Guard' - Beastware nanny from Oz - (Ashton) - (1)
             ICLRPD. (new thread) - (Another Scott)

It's all in the pronunciation.
125 ms