IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Linux Distribution Chooser
This is kinda fun: [link|http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php|Linux Distribution Chooser]. It asks you a series of questions about your skill level, knowledge, hardware, and preferences then gives you a list distributions you might like.
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
New Took the test
Came up with:

Mepis
Debian
Kubuntu

Not bad. Maybe I'll bookmark this for my students.

Tom Sinclair

"This is a lovely party," said the Bursar to a chair, "I wish I was here."
-- The Bursar is a man under a *lot* of stress
(Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)
New Got what I use.
maybe thats why I'm happy with Debian :-)
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Figured me out
I got told Debian, Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I use Ubuntu and previously used Debian. :-)

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Debian and Ubuntu
Which, oddly enough, is what I use.

The quiz is pretty much stacked if you know what you like, though. The question about package management will pick one camp or the other, and then the GNOME/KDE question narrows down the rest.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New I refused to answer package manager
since I knew it would narrow down too much.
I ended up with Suse, Debian, Kubuntu, or Mandriva.

I run Suse on my office opteron - don't really like it but too lazy to change.
I run Debian (or derivative) on everything else.
New Mandriva
Worst. Distro. Name. EvAr.

Man Driver.

Ooer missus!

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New It picked 4 non-rpm and 3 rpm version.
Slackware, Debian, Gentoo and Ubuntu.

SuSE, Mandriva and Fedora.

I've used all of them except Mandriva... and to be honest, I didn't like Mandrake either. Connectiva is attempting to do the same thing Debian has with regards to package management... small modular easily added/removed pieces, rather than huge chunky and clunky dependency hell problems.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New Kubuntu, Mandriva, Ubuntu, SuSE
New SuSE, Kubuntu, Mandriva, Ubuntu
I think it too heavily weighted my "None/Little Linux knowledge" answer. MEPIS works pretty well for me, in most respects. It downrated MEPIS because it "May require Linux knowledge".

I left some comments, we'll see if it affects future versions.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New It chose SuSe, Debian or Fedora for me.
Though Ubuntu (what I have at work) scored fairly high. I didn't like SuSe when I looked at it several years ago; it did odd things with some of the init files.

Wade.
"Insert crowbar. Apply force."
New Mandriva, SuSE
Although I lied and said I have a 64-bit system...I don't right now, but I'm upgrading my box in the next coupla months (when the IRS refund arrives)...

Always thought I'd like SuSE (until it ended up with Novell, who completely hosed my sentimental favorite, WordPerfect, before they realized they didn't have the chops to maintain it).

(K)ubuntu were right up there; they said it failed due to the lack of a graphical installer. (Now before all you Linux fundies jump down my throat, I must tell you that I am the second worst typist in the world, and typing long lines of unintelligible gibberish in response to a command prompt is not my idea of a good time, nor is it likely to result in an error free install. YMMV.)
jb4
"Every Repbulican who wants to defend Bush on [the expansion of Presidential powers], should be forced to say, 'I wouldn't hesitate to see President Hillary Rodham Clinton have the same authority'."
&mdash an unidentified letter writer to Newsweek on the expansion of executive powers under the Bush administration
Expand Edited by jb4 March 17, 2006, 01:54:11 PM EST
New Never once
have I had to type 'long lines of unintelligible gibberish in response to a command prompt' during a linux install, graphical or not.
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
New I congratulate you on your luck and/or prowess
Now, come and try to make some sense of these dot files for me, please....
jb4
"Every Repbulican who wants to defend Bush on [the expansion of Presidential powers], should be forced to say, 'I wouldn't hesitate to see President Hillary Rodham Clinton have the same authority'."
&mdash an unidentified letter writer to Newsweek on the expansion of executive powers under the Bush administration
New Good work jb -
I shall add that fine explanation to my reasons for preferring an, at least polite.. nanny for offering me a few sane choices - instead of [n! x typos.]

New Mandriva, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Linspire
(Thanks, Scott re selections - and less'n Kubuntu proves more copacetic to my irrational desires than non-K: looks like Mepis is where I'm tending; a few more experiments needed. Dial-up is a real handicap re maintenance / thus choices. 'Course with neighbor on Hi-speed + notebook portability ... hmmm)

I listed both notebook / desktop in prefs, but either GUI or text install - a menu is ~ a menu, as Steve seems to be saying (re the non-necessity for precise MAN ___ commands, with full complement of switches which you'd-Better-get-Right.)

Kinda fun, this stuff - so far. Lots easier than Chess + 4 moves ahead.

Got notebook partitioned; Doze installed first, as is necessary for that Imperialistic kluge. Would be pretty slick if I can actually get a distro detected, inspected and runnable.. GRUB - first of course, with Doze present; I'll discover if these distros recognize that priority (?) in the scheme of practical things.

(But I still can't get Mepis/Moz to recognize my sneaker-net installed bookmarks.html file; installed as Root (OK, su) etc. in what seems to be the Right directory == where the default one resided (renamed.) Now that's all Logical, innit? WTF doesn't Mepis/Moz agree?)

[Just tell me .. There's. No. %^#$&^@# Registry! - OK?]

New About your bookmarks.
I usually have separate bookmarks on each machine, and make my own startup page of favorite sites. I haven't tried transferring bookmarks between machines.

Have you done something like [link|http://debianquestions.com/viewtopic.php?p=141&sid=fec5599952e2b72539a8f3fcf3e58f48|this]?

HTH. Luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: About your bookmarks.
No, simply copied the .html file - as worked in Moz on the Cpq's ME.
(I had supposed that "Export" merely obviates necessity of finding the sub-dir in which Moz keeps various data - then copies it to target. I mean.. straight 'html' - what massaging could it need?)

Will pursue anon, what with all the recent distractions.

Hmmm - boot CD a la Demo; run Moz - R/O all but one small HD partition, for data.

Later, retrieve what seemed worth saving from online session -- bug check, wipe partition -- for next session. Get Rich: sell Make-a-Doze-CD\ufffd from your OS-copy - safe browsing at last! . . .

[Why Not? Use all the other fancy aps - off-line; the only time Doze is ~~'safe']
(except from itself, natch.)

Linux Distribution Chooser - (Steve Lowe) - (17)
         Took the test - (tjsinclair) - (1)
             Got what I use. - (bepatient)
         Figured me out - (ben_tilly)
         Debian and Ubuntu - (admin) - (2)
             I refused to answer package manager - (broomberg) - (1)
                 Mandriva - (pwhysall)
         It picked 4 non-rpm and 3 rpm version. - (folkert)
         Kubuntu, Mandriva, Ubuntu, SuSE -NT - (n3jja)
         SuSE, Kubuntu, Mandriva, Ubuntu - (Another Scott)
         It chose SuSe, Debian or Fedora for me. - (static)
         Mandriva, SuSE - (jb4) - (3)
             Never once - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                 I congratulate you on your luck and/or prowess - (jb4)
             Good work jb - - (Ashton)
         Mandriva, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Linspire - (Ashton) - (2)
             About your bookmarks. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Re: About your bookmarks. - (Ashton)

Caught up in the conflict between his brain and his tail.
213 ms