IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New One piece of speculation there sounds on the money
One big reason why IBM has the freedom to do this now is that they sold their PC division to Levono. While they had that PC division, Microsoft wielded the big stick of saying, "Your PC licensing costs just went up." But now IBM sells nothing that depends on getting Windows licenses, so they are pure customers. And if Microsoft is selling at a bad price/performance point, IBM can walk.

I'd wondered about that when they originally sold their PC business. But then had forgotten about the idea.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Servers?
IBM still makes thier own servers, AFAIK. I'm guessing, though, that mix of Linux/AIX/Windows is such that the risk of increased licensing cost is acceptable to them in that market.
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
New So, they typically sell them without an OS nowaday.
Mainly because the "big accounts" already have a VLK/MLP/OLP with Microsoft.

Weee. Watch the fallout as it continues.

Oh yeah, one other thing.

It explains why I believe Microsoft has been behind the SCOG machinations from the start.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
Expand Edited by folkert March 8, 2006, 03:49:52 PM EST
New Good point.
One of the (many) criticisms of IBM and OS/2 was that IBM didn't principally use it itself or offer it on many of their systems.

"Why won't IBM eat its own dog food?"

It's good to see IBM finally moving off it. I hope it's not just an isolated win for Linux inside the company.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who figures this move by IBM is about 12 years later than it should have been...)
     IBM ditching windows - (SpiceWare) - (28)
         :-) - (Steve Lowe)
         Re: IBM ditching windows - (pwhysall)
         More - (Steve Lowe) - (23)
             One piece of speculation there sounds on the money - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                 Servers? - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                     So, they typically sell them without an OS nowaday. - (folkert)
                 Good point. - (Another Scott)
             His Reflections on Apple seem wrong - (SpiceWare) - (18)
                 I think they're accurate - (ben_tilly) - (17)
                     interesting - thanx -NT - (SpiceWare)
                     Not entirely - (tuberculosis) - (15)
                         They comply with the license. Big whoop. - (ben_tilly) - (14)
                             That's a very old post - (tuberculosis) - (13)
                                 It is under a year old - (ben_tilly) - (12)
                                     Things move fast - (tuberculosis) - (11)
                                         Please clarify - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                                             The post that you cite - (tuberculosis) - (9)
                                                 Sounds like desperate rationalisation on your part. - (CRConrad) - (8)
                                                     No, Apple is plenty flakey in lots of areas - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                                                         So, what is WebKit's User-Agent string again...? - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                             It doesn't have one - (tuberculosis)
                                                             Re: So, what is WebKit's User-Agent string again...? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                 That would mean I was at least partly wrong - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                     maybe you should suggest an Apple Is Guilty forum -NT - (SpiceWare)
                                                     And your familarity with the events is what, CRC? -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                         Zero[*]. Did I ever say anything else? - (CRConrad)
         Or Not. - (altmann) - (1)
             30,000 desktop "pilot program" according to . . . - (Andrew Grygus)

Let the spreading of TV dinners on the roads begin!
70 ms