IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New MacBook Pro en route
I really wanted to wait another generation, but it is not to be. Wife's machine has reached critical slowness (G3 PB) and I'm 1) Out of disk space and 2) Jonesing for that fast compile speed I saw in Florida.

Should arrive in 3 weeks or so. I'll provide a full report then.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:08:53 AM EDT
New Planning on a May or June purchase
Anxious to hear your review. I plan to give my son my 12" iBook and get a dimed MacBook Pro in May or June.
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
New No buyer's remorse yet on Intel iMac
New Actually, one issue has arisen
I typically put the machine to sleep each evening before retiring and, after checking the mail and news of a morning, before lurching off to the workplace. I note that with increasing frequency the computer restarts rather than reawkening, whether I begin by tickling the mouse or tapping a key—it seems to me that this has happened at least four times in the past seven days: I will begin keeping a log.

This would be vexing if the unit did not boot up so briskly (about thirty seconds vs. closer to three minutes for Old Blue, its predecessor), and it certainly serves as incentive not to leave works in progress unsaved overnight. At that, I appear thus far to have been lucky, given disturbing reports of brother iMacs lapsing into persistent vegetative states during sleep, reviving only after (figuratively) violent shaking or not at all. Clearly the phenomenon bears continued scrutiny and further research.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New That would be a really bad "feature" in a notebook.
My G4 Powerbook is rebooted once every system update. Otherwise it sleeps/wakes almost instantly as I drag it about.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:16:16 AM EDT
New Intel iMac sleeping sickness update
The computer had taken to restarting whenever it was nudged after having been put to sleep for more than a couple of hours. I noticed that each time it came back to life it did so with about a dozen open Finder windows—the same dozen, identically arrayed, which I closed en masse first thing before proceeding. Of course, one of the things the Mac OS does during a proper shutdown is to record the desktop state, so it belatedly occurred to me that whatever irregularity was causing the computer to swoon while unattended might be persisting, just like the undesired open windows, through each of these spontaneous startups. I accordingly conducted a full shutdown, whistled the first thirty seconds of the aria from "The Marriage of Not-Jenna Bush," powered up again, and...we're golden again for the past two days.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Woot! I hope it's fixxored for you. Thanks for the update.
     MacBook Pro en route - (tuberculosis) - (6)
         Planning on a May or June purchase - (Steve Lowe)
         No buyer's remorse yet on Intel iMac -NT - (rcareaga) - (4)
             Actually, one issue has arisen - (rcareaga) - (3)
                 That would be a really bad "feature" in a notebook. - (tuberculosis)
                 Intel iMac sleeping sickness update - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     Woot! I hope it's fixxored for you. Thanks for the update. -NT - (Another Scott)

NO CARRIER
89 ms