IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Reading Pratchett.
If you're curious about his writing and don't know if you will want to fork out for 25+ books, then I suggest you start with "Pyramids". It nicely captures both the city-books (i.e. those set in Ankh-Morpork) and the non-city books.

If you are sure you'll probably get the whole lot, start with "The Colour of Magic" and hang in there past the first 3 or 4. Like most fantasy worlds, it takes a few books for the shape of it to settle down. Most things are settled in place by "Sourcery" (5th book).

OTOH, some of his early stuff remains quite good and gives you a good taste, as well. "Strata" is a particularly good example.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Re: Reading Pratchett.
Heh. Unless I miss my guess, Ashton should start with either Soul Music or Moving Pictures. It'd be out of order chronologically, but my take on his thought processes brings those up right away. He'll especially enjoy Mr. Clete -- dammit, I can't find my copy of Soul Music; I wanted to quote that bit [there's a really neat motorcycle ride in it, too]

After that I'd suggest Mort ["Death comes to us all. When Death came to Mortimer, he offered him a job."] or Equal Rites. The wizard's staff goes to the eighth son of his eighth son, but if you're in a hurry mistakes can be made...

Going back to The Colour of Magic to start at the beginning should be reserved for after one has skipped around in the middle a bit, and the latest ones should not be read without the background.

The Turtle Moves!

(Later edit: Pratchett is much like Gary Larson -- you can tell a lot about a person by which of the books he or she likes best. My personal favorites are Jingo and Johnny and the Bomb)
Regards,
Ric
Expand Edited by Ric Locke Jan. 16, 2002, 12:08:25 AM EST
New Mmm.
I agree that "Moving Pictures" would work on itss own but I think "Soul Music" won't work quite as well if you don't already know a few things.

But other ones that work on their own would include "Small Gods". "Wyrd Sisters" would also work, especially if you wanted to "read a few in the middle" before commiting oneself! "Mort" would work for the same reason.

I agree that the latest ones need prior novels. "The Truth" for instance, is just not as good if you haven't already encountered Vetinari numerous times. Or Ankh-Morpork's Guilds. Or Vimes. Or Slant, for that matter. Or the Clacks. Or even the Bursar.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

World's stupidest math questions - (marlowe) - (23)
         Did you catch Ben T's exc. link re math teaching - (Ashton) - (1)
             Just recently had time to look at it - (marlowe)
         With the great love of maths that I have... - (Meerkat) - (4)
             Math is purely a means to an end for me. - (marlowe) - (3)
                 Ah yes.. but, - (Ashton) - (2)
                     Games and art forms - (Ric Locke) - (1)
                         I can almost agree - (Ashton)
         I've met math teachers who could make those hard - (mhuber) - (1)
             I'd give him what for - (marlowe)
         If math were a color... - (jb4)
         A Feeling Of Power - (tuberculosis) - (12)
             Slide rule.. - (Ashton) - (9)
                 lack of cribbage can cause that - (boxley)
                 BSJ - (Ric Locke) - (7)
                     Keep seein wry quotes by Pratchett.. - (Ashton) - (6)
                         Good Omens - (Silverlock) - (1)
                             Don't forget the Discworld series - (tjsinclair)
                         Reading Pratchett. - (static) - (2)
                             Re: Reading Pratchett. - (Ric Locke) - (1)
                                 Mmm. - (static)
                         Thanks all, for the intro.. - (Ashton)
             O'course t'was Isaac; but "book"? Short story, a few pages? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Meant "story". - (tuberculosis)

Until it's frozen.
63 ms