IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The long dark night of the upgrade
Well - it's begun. We are upgrading our database - an Insurance package that contains ~3500 screens, ~150 menus, ~10500 programs, ~2000 tables, ~5000 views, ~1100 data areas (counting messagefiles, etc. about 11000 data objects). This is of course not counting temprary fixes and customized features. Upgrades consist of both binary and source deliveries compiled on the spot.

We are updating through 7 cumulative upgrades at the same time, so we can make use of the latest and greatest (it really is cool) interface goodness.

I will be at the office all weekend; I've brought my aerobed with me.

Pray for me.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Yikes! 6 Hail Holleriths said for you.
New Thanks - I wish I'd thought
to order salt, black candles and a goat for sacrifice to IBM.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

New you bring the grease, they have their own goats
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Yeah but the contract you have to sign for that is MURDER.

Imric's Tips for Living

New rolling
hope you have a rollback plan and contingencies as well. That complex a migration will likely take a couple of attempts. Any way to break it into stages?
bonne chance.
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New Mr Paranoid (me?)
Oh yeah - multiple backups at various stages (it is a little broken up, as much as I can, but Thenon is a clumsy beast at best) - with the ability to go back at any time. I lost some 5 hours last night wrestling with their old WebUI feature - seems they've integrated in with the main product so far as Thenon (their so-called package management 'solution') is concerned. We don't use it anymore (the interface is butt-ugly and clumsy to boot) - this became an issue last night. Luckily, I actually have a version of the HTML source/member files from the target version, so I got around that by manually shoving them into the release so Theno stopped freaking out and halting. What a fun night it's been...

Thanks!

Imric's Tips for Living

New Are we having fun yet???
and good thing its a looong weekend :=)
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Boatloads...
...and we don't have Monday off - this thing is run or restore by tomorrow afternoon.

But yes, even so far it's been a loooooooong weekend..

Imric's Tips for Living

New at this point
I hope you only have to do it once...
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New Me too!

Imric's Tips for Living

New I hope all goes well, Skip!
And thanks for allowing IBM to continue funding its pension accounts. :)
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
New Done with the main upgrade.
Nasty. Just nasty.

Tomorrow: Should testing go well - re-create all testing and development environments based on the new version.

Tonight, though, I get to sleep.

Imric's Tips for Living

New Enjoy! Sleep is a good thing! :)
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
     The long dark night of the upgrade - (imric) - (13)
         Yikes! 6 Hail Holleriths said for you. -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Thanks - I wish I'd thought - (imric) - (2)
                 you bring the grease, they have their own goats -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     Yeah but the contract you have to sign for that is MURDER. -NT - (imric)
         rolling - (cforde) - (5)
             Mr Paranoid (me?) - (imric) - (4)
                 Are we having fun yet??? - (bepatient) - (3)
                     Boatloads... - (imric) - (2)
                         at this point - (cforde) - (1)
                             Me too! -NT - (imric)
         I hope all goes well, Skip! - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             Done with the main upgrade. - (imric) - (1)
                 Enjoy! Sleep is a good thing! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)

A vacation you’ll talk about for years to come, at AA meetings.
58 ms