IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Getting at the source
If you want to directly see the source in the underlying database, the following query can be used:

SELECT com.text\nFROM\n    dbo.sysobjects obj\n    INNER JOIN dbo.syscomments com ON\n       (com.id = obj.id)\nWHERE\n   (obj.xtype = 'P') AND\n   (obj.name = 'YourStoredProcName')
New the source shows the latest changes
As mentioned previously, when using Enterprise Manager to display/edit the stored procedures, my latest modifications are shown there, so they've made it into the database. I just don't understand why Query Analyzer isn't showing them correctly.

I've been working with SQL Server since v 7.0 and have never encountered this problem before. This morning I even talked our hardware guy into rebooting the server, just for kicks, but that didn't change the situation.
lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.

I am not merely a "consumer" or a "taxpayer". I am a Citizen of the United States.

[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Occam's Razor and whatnot
The simplest explanation is that program #1 (Enterprise Manager) is looking at different underlying data than program #2 (Query Analyzer). In order to narrow the problem down further, one eliminates the variable of program #1 and concentrates on the internal consistency of program #2. If the query run from program #2 returns the correct result, but its object browser does not, then you can report the inconsistent behavior completely in terms of program #2 without bringing program #1 into the mix - it's just a corroborating piece of evidence.
New Izzat better than sp_helptext?
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
New Same difference
TIMTOWTDI - or some such acronym. Looking at the source for sp_helptext, it's pretty well just grabbing the syscomments:
SELECT text\nFROM syscomments \nWHERE id = OBJECT_ID(@objname) and encrypted = 0\nORDER BY number, colid

Since it's a question of tools, though, I'd want to know what's actually in the underlying tables, stripped of any intermediate facilities (including stored procs). And I'd want to see that raw value in the same tool that is causing the grief.
     SQL Server's Query Analyzer not refreshing SPs - (lincoln) - (14)
         How are you retrieving the stored proc in Query Analyzer? - (ChrisR) - (2)
             from the Object Browser panel on the left side - (lincoln) - (1)
                 just glossing over it... - (ChrisR)
         Getting at the source - (ChrisR) - (4)
             the source shows the latest changes - (lincoln) - (1)
                 Occam's Razor and whatnot - (ChrisR)
             Izzat better than sp_helptext? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Same difference - (ChrisR)
         Problem no longer appearing - (lincoln) - (5)
             Its the magic of Microsoft -NT - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
                 s/magic/black-spaghetti-code-magic/ -NT - (folkert) - (3)
                     Also known as "non-deterministic" behavior. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                         I was joking. You sound serious! - (folkert) - (1)
                             It's a "hot button" for me. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)

CROP CIRCLES APPEAR ON HUMAN HEADS!
52 ms