IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 2 active users | 3 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: On the laptop - could the CD drive be bad? - checking
Well... it loaded Ex Pee from scratch a couple times, in conjunction with the mentioned bug saga.

And - neither Mepis nor Ub. CD will boot on my ancient e-Machine (which booted Knoppix long ago) And.. Mepis CD-ap has trouble 'seeing' that there's a (blank) CD in its slot - And Mepis file manager churns a while, before finally displaying any old data CD - nor will it play or copy a music CD. Etc.

So crude logic suggests a misaligned? or otherwise aberrant player (and yes, IIRC that Was a relatively unused / new? one -- thanks!!) all of which: is a puzzlement.. (RIP, Yul)

And yet.. And yet, my data created on the Roxio, and 'raw' (ie CD not even closed to an intermediate-format) DirectCD: can be read, in ME - which counters that crude logic, somewhat. And Mepis also read a (CD w/ normally-closed file) - Bookmarks.

(though, while ME found and used that html file no sweat (in Fire Fox); Mepis keeps finding the old file I renamed, in Root, as "bookmarks-org" - and not the new one. Strange stuff; perhaps of the ilk of Intelligent Water and homeopathy (occasional efficacy of the latter, I verified in a personal test a few years back. Despite Avogadro's cute number and the cubic-closest packing of large molecules, or fractions thereof.. 6.023, wasn't it?)

(BTW, the really Odd aspect of preparing homeo- dilutions is the process of "sucussion" or whomping the vial against hands a number of times, before ingestion - this really does overlap into the recent Sci forum post re emotions + water. Who'd a thunk.. Can't wait for a perhaps Big surprise when the nano- folks start playing on that scale.)

Time for some CD test utils.. on All of them! Thanks for other tips - at least the notebook has another burner. Will try s l o w motion. Perhaps with sucussion.

But it's still fun, because I don't have to have any of it fixed by the 10 AM meeting Monday morning, with the CIEIO and his brother-in-law, the CTO - the one with the funny tie.

;^>

Heh, as we suavish say -
Talkin atcha via the (earlier) Knoppix 3.3 (!= 3.3.1) demo CD: in the Compaq.
After also successfully booting same in the hP notebook. Just like old times.

(Next I will have to see if, placed in the R/W tray: boot will cycle through All CD-devices and boot from 2nd: the ~suspect CD-writer thingie, too.)

ie - there must be something Beast-style fishy about the various ways these hi burn-speed RWs go about their sprints acrosss the pits == when it comes to Reading what they scribbled. Means that I have 3+ Knoppix demos (left) which are unreadable.. maybe also a bunch in the drives of a few folks I handed them out to? over the months. :-/

So then, if it does boot from Cpq R/W OK .. I can get onto finding why that drive under *nix has trouble noticing there's a blank CD inside.
Yup - found it; somnolent at splash screen for KDE 1st try though; reboot with [don't detect much] - and here I are. SO maybe it doesn't like the install of the burner on Mepis? hmm - maybe there's one in Knoppix. k3b - check. Give it a try.
Over & out.

[early 2-12-06 addendum]
Ummm - unclear what to do with k3B in a Demo - I mean.. it needs its OS on one drive; pondered old days of one-floppy copy-tos: guess I'd need to configure a workspace on HD at boot (or one humongous RAM-disk), have it copy CD, then burn. As it was: greyed out for either drive. Er, just a report; none of this stuff needs any answers; I mean, with a manual as informative as MAN ___ ...[/add]

This K. build also found the Hayes Optima (as did Mepis) - only Doze ME hadn't a clue, forcing me to rummage around for the drivers, sometime.

Guess I'll have to show a visitor tonight, how much you can do with a demo in 5 minutes - smarter, quicker Wizards than the perverse renegrades of Redmond. A rank newbie can connect a modem; dunno re DSL.

ie One (gotcha) Down; on to the next.

We's got K-ubuntu now, I see.. perhaps by the time of Mumblebuntu I shall be ready to try a HD install of something. What do *nix folk wear? beret's taken. I have my Mad Hatter hat in leather -

moi

Edit: who Cares why.

Expand Edited by Ashton Feb. 10, 2006, 06:26:51 AM EST
Expand Edited by Ashton Feb. 10, 2006, 07:57:33 PM EST
Expand Edited by Ashton Feb. 10, 2006, 08:31:15 PM EST
Expand Edited by Ashton Feb. 12, 2006, 03:44:00 AM EST
New I'm having trouble parsing what you're doing.
Your prose is getting in the way a little. :-)

You're still trying to get Linux to install on the HP laptop? The HP will boot and with run with Knoppix 3.3, but nothing higher? You can't burn a new Linux .ISO from k3B while booting Knoppix?

I can't help with running k3B from a CD boot - maybe someone else can help with that.

I can burn you the latest Knopix (4.0.2), Ubuntu (5.10 - Breezy Badger), Kubuntu (5.10), SimplyMEPIS (3.4.3) and/or anything else that might be useful (e.g. an older version of Knoppix). Burning things on my T41 laptop has been very reliable, so I would hope they would work for you.

Just let me know. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
     Dabbling in the Fields of the Lured__er, Mepis stuff - (Ashton) - (6)
         Tried Ubuntu livecd? - (pwhysall) - (2)
             Is that seal, or sigil? - (imric)
             Sorta.. - (Ashton)
         On the laptop - could the CD drive be bad? - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Re: On the laptop - could the CD drive be bad? - checking - (Ashton) - (1)
                 I'm having trouble parsing what you're doing. - (Another Scott)

Non cogito ergo nihil, y'all.
50 ms