IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The problem is...
...that we have people here who simply create a table, then want to "fancy it up" by using Tables|AutoFormat to use one of the oh-so-k3wl predefined table formats. Unfortunately, the oh-so-k3wl format that is in vogue here uses a borders-and-shading setting that has both a background color and a 25% dithering setting. 25% dithering basically obliterates the text on the screen, and to a lesser degree, the printed page as well. (Hello, Microsoft? Has anybody there ever done any usability testing with your oh-so-k3wl designs? No? Gee...I couldn't tell [image|/forums/images/warning.png|0|This is sarcasm...]
.) And, since both the color and the dithering are part of the borders-and-shading subsection of Turd Word, disabling "Shading" on the auto-format dialog removes both the dithering (good!) and the shading (not good!). Finally, the in vogue format only colors/dithers every other row, so manually "fixing" it is an immense PITA (which is, of course, par for a Microsoft product).

So if these li'l gems were to somehow be made available for making them do what I want (instead of what Micros~1 wants -- what a concept!), then everyone here can still use the oh-so-k3wl templates, and we can read the result.

Using the Table bar can result in the same look, but it will cost both time and effort on the part of the author, and since the authors find the task at hand to be...er, somewhat less that interesting to them (they areSW Engineers, after all)...using the Table bar is not an option. But thanx for the pointer....
jb4
"Every Repbulican who wants to defend Bush on [the expansion of Presidential powers], should be forced to say, 'I wouldn't hesitate to see President Hillary Rodham Clinton have the same authority'."
&mdash an unidentified letter writer to Newsweek on the expansion of executive powers under the Bush administration
New They did test it and fixed it ... in Word 2002/3
--
Chris Altmann
New *They* did?!? You mean, people like JB tested it for them...
Expand Edited by CRConrad Feb. 9, 2006, 04:36:31 PM EST
New Of course it's *they*
They released the Alpha, Beta, or Gamma copy, we find all the bugs and report them, and then *they* "fix" (move to more obscure location) them.

We are part of the they by virture of purchasing the beta versions.

[image|/forums/images/warning.png|0|This is sarcasm...]
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
Expand Edited by jbrabeck Feb. 9, 2006, 04:46:41 PM EST
New Yabut...
My version of Word2K,SP4 is a beta copy. I don't think they ever get to Gamma....
jb4
"Every Repbulican who wants to defend Bush on [the expansion of Presidential powers], should be forced to say, 'I wouldn't hesitate to see President Hillary Rodham Clinton have the same authority'."
&mdash an unidentified letter writer to Newsweek on the expansion of executive powers under the Bush administration
     Changing table auto-format layouts in MS Word - (jb4) - (10)
         I think I'd have to see an example - (Silverlock) - (1)
             OK...I'll try to get you one tonight - (jb4)
         Table->Table AutoFormat->Modify in Word 2003 looks promising -NT - (altmann) - (7)
             Damn! - (jb4) - (6)
                 Maybe try this... - (Another Scott) - (5)
                     The problem is... - (jb4) - (4)
                         They did test it and fixed it ... in Word 2002/3 -NT - (altmann) - (3)
                             *They* did?!? You mean, people like JB tested it for them... -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                 Of course it's *they* - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                     Yabut... - (jb4)

Well, after thinking it over for a few hours, the toilet decided to work.
98 ms