IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hmmm.
By 2 controllers do you mean you have a separate controller card in addition to the ones on the motherboard? If so, then you could have 8 IDE drives (2 per channel times 4 channels) so 6 should be no problem.

Why doesn't the 6th drive work? Hmm. It used to be that some drive brands didn't play well with others. Are you using the jumpers to set master and slave or are you using cable-select? If you're using CS, maybe try the jumpers.

Otherwise, it might be a BIOS issue on the motherboard or a firmware issue with the controller card. Are the new drives too big?

In short, I duuno. I hope this gives you some things to consider though. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thought of all those
the real kicker is that it will boot into safe mode and see all of them as well as access all of them. Full size.

I would have blamed the controller...except for it boots into safe and sees everything.

Over my head on this one.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Doesn't Safe Mode use different drivers?
That might be a clue.

Maybe look around MS's knowledge base thingy.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New No

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New How about another track.
I assume this is related to your music collection. I gather that you're having power issues with Mike's external drive (no brick at prsent).

Does your 6th drive need to be internal? How about a [link|http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817146312|Kingwin] external enclosure ($24+$5 shipping). I'm using one of those with a 300 GB Seagate with my work PC (Asus Athlon64 3000+ with an SATA RAID mirror, 120 GB IDE internal, 300 GB IDE internal, 120 GB IDE external (with portable rack-mounted drives) and the 300 GB Seagate IDE external). It works fine. The enclosure's side panels are a little flimsy, but does have a small fan that most of the cheaper enclosures lack.

Your time might be worth more than $30. :-)

If you don't want to spend the money on more hardware, I'd suggest checking to see if later drivers exist for the new controller card if you haven't done so already.

HTH. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Tried all those..and have a Seagate External
in addition to the graciousness of one yendor to help recreate the lost.

I wanted to stuff the new machine with drives...and use a drive caddy with 300G internals to use as backup. Slide it in, copy the files, slide out and put away.

The caddy is on the secondary interface of the MB controller. Works fine. Its just when I add a second drive to the "new" controller that it decides to crap out. I'm thinking it might be because the controller decides it wants to go RAID even though I haven't set it up for that.

Going to spend 20 on a controller from a different company and see if that solves it. In the interim I'm settling for leaving the machine with 750G of internal storage+the 300 external. Thats enough for now.

Essentially, I've designated this as a project to be dealt with later.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

New Later as in...
...after the Stillers get whooped in SBXL?

*tweak*
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Later than that even :-)
Have a trip next week and won't be messing with it much. Too much other stuff to do and not enough of a pressing need (there's plenty of space for now)

New Seahawks lost. 21-10
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New Power supply problems?
Mebbe in safe mode, the drives don't come racing all up at the same time (you know...a couple of extra diags are run on the drives or drivers before hitting the next one?). You might just be sucking a little too much current/voltage/juice/cosmic karma all at once in normal mode. You got a beefier power supply you could try?
jb4
"Every Repbulican who wants to defend Bush on [the expansion of Presidential powers], should be forced to say, 'I wouldn't hesitate to see President Hillary Rodham Clinton have the same authority'."
&mdash an unidentified letter writer to Newsweek on the expansion of executive powers under the Bush administration
New Brand new 400W
should be plenty, I would think.

That thought did cross my mind though.

New Depending on the box, it might be marginal.
E.g., see [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=215689|#215689].

You know we're going to play 20 Questions until you tell us exactly what you've got in that PC, don't you? IWeThey is the place where the unsolvable problems come to be solved.

;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New When I get back I'll let you know
It was a bones system at the local shop...bought for the size of the case and its ability to house drives.

Hard drive expense is currently 100 more that the initial machine cost (320 with dvd burner and 256 more memory...upgrades from the 275 initial tag).

Interesting issue with 2k - (bepatient) - (17)
         Hmmm. - (Another Scott) - (12)
             Thought of all those - (bepatient) - (11)
                 Doesn't Safe Mode use different drivers? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     No -NT - (pwhysall)
                 How about another track. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                     Tried all those..and have a Seagate External - (bepatient) - (7)
                         Later as in... - (Yendor) - (2)
                             Later than that even :-) - (bepatient)
                             Seahawks lost. 21-10 -NT - (folkert)
                         Power supply problems? - (jb4) - (3)
                             Brand new 400W - (bepatient) - (2)
                                 Depending on the box, it might be marginal. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     When I get back I'll let you know - (bepatient)
         If it's IDE I don't know why you're seeing it at all. - (Silverlock) - (3)
             As I read it, he's got 2 controllers = 4 channels = 8 drives -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Oh. /ob Emily Litella -NT - (Silverlock) - (1)
                     And this ^^^ my friends, it why the kids don't understand us -NT - (drewk)

She has not, incidentally, allowed this episode to turn her into an anti-cucumber crusader.
108 ms