IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I think you misinterpreted the Windows comment
How I took it, was, that he used Unix native tools, using the Unix toolbox philosophy.
There was a mildly complicated task, he picked out each piece and handled it as stages of a pipeline.

And he was saying that the only way to accomplish the same thing, with the same ease, on Windows, would be to install Unix tools on it.

On the other hand, as I read that description, and the fact it took 2 hours to come up with the solution, was that it took 1 hour and 45 minutes too long. Tweak tweak.

But compared with most non-Unix tool people, who would screw around with C or Basic or (name your non-scripting language of choice), they might take MANY hours munging through the data. So he did well.
New I don't think I misinterpreted it
If you have Perl, you can do everything he did pretty easily.

So you can install Perl on Windows and then solve the problem.

I am asking him whether he considers that "installing Unix tools". The argument for is that Perl deliberately borrows a lot of its design from a number of Unix tools. The argument against is that there has been a native version of Perl for Windows for many years now. (In fact since Perl 5.005, Windows has been a core target.)

One could easily ask the same question naming other scripting languages such as Python and Ruby.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New I think he may be comparing OS built ins with the dos
builtins as he stated, put the unix tools on windows to do same. (or put perl etc on windows to do same)
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New We'll see. Well?
New I think in *NIX terms or Everything pipelines into the next
How I took it, was, that he used Unix native tools, using the Unix toolbox philosophy. There was a mildly complicated task, he picked out each piece and handled it as stages of a pipeline.
Yessir exactly the line I took.

On the other hand, as I read that description, and the fact it took 2 hours to come up with the solution, was that it took 1 hour and 45 minutes too long. Tweak tweak.
Err, yeah. I am just not as adept at handling incomprehensibly formatted data, as you are. Of course, when you think in an incomprehensibly formatted way, it does help reduce the time to fixit.

But compared with most non-Unix tool people, who would screw around with C or Basic or (name your non-scripting language of choice), they might take MANY hours munging through the data. So he did well.
The company actually asked me to evaluate the systems they have. Evidently many have tried to cleanup the data, this has been a problem for nearly 2 years since the "Programmer" they had, left to go live in the great outdoors in the mountains in a one-room cabin. About 200 miles from nowhere. He hated technology, and it shows in his work. I haven't seen any code or application or DB, but something tells me: "Clipper"
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
     Standardizing Data using the command line - (folkert) - (9)
         Do you consider Perl a Unix tool? - (ben_tilly) - (6)
             I think you misinterpreted the Windows comment - (broomberg) - (4)
                 I don't think I misinterpreted it - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                     I think he may be comparing OS built ins with the dos - (boxley)
                     We'll see. Well? -NT - (broomberg)
                 I think in *NIX terms or Everything pipelines into the next - (folkert)
             Yes. I consider Perl - (folkert)
         Re: Standardizing Data using the command line - (pwhysall) - (1)
             hmmm... - (folkert)

Beer is better than pain.
83 ms