IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well duh, aren't they all?
Contractions, that is. Yes, they are: "He's" can be a contraction of, f'rinstance "He is", and "she's" can be a contraction of, among other things, "she has".

And "Joe's" is a genitive-s "contracted" onto Joe to indicate that we're (that's one too! And so's that! And that! :-) talking about something OF Joe's, probably (judging from the similar treatment in writing) descended from some ancient "Joe Hathes" or "Joe Seins" or something.

All of which doesn't matter: What matters is, Karsten's "Y'all's" was _not_ prima facie _a plural_, as he claimed (and it may well have been *intended* -- but didn't come out -- as) in his apology, but, as you so rightly note, a contraction.

Sure, I misread his original post and somehow got the impression the contraction in question was correct there, which it clearly (in retrospect) isn't... But what does that have to do with you telling me that it *is* a contraction -- where did I say it wasn't?!?
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Right there in your subject line
Where you called it a possessive.
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
New So you missed the bit...
...where I explained[*] how possessive's *are* contraction's?

It was only right there in plain sight, prolly the longest paragraph in the post...

[*] OK, OK -- "fudged".     :-)
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New OK then: __"Y'all's gotta go see.."__
Yeah proper Suthnlish woulda been, y'all've gotta go see ... (but we can't get testy 'bout ary steenkin co-relashuns; younses're jest soundin like them there smartalek Yankee college guys. Ya wanna stick upside yo head?)

(Oops, that last were from visitin uncle Snake in the ghet-toe)

Cracker Creations Ltd.
Conjugations & Conjugal Visits R'Us
     Is the following article accurate? - (brettj) - (24)
         Yes, I think it is. - (static)
         It's a good article. Point WRT author as well - (kmself)
         Only one problem: - (mhuber) - (20)
             That's what I couldn't put my finger on. - (brettj) - (1)
                 Agreed, but consider this... - (jb4)
             jb4's comments, plus an admission - (kmself) - (16)
                 y'all's ?! - (brettj) - (15)
                     Grammatically incorrect - (kmself) - (14)
                         What about "you'unses" (?) -NT - (Ashton) - (7)
                             Isn't that like... - (jb4) - (6)
                                 Go__to__your__room. -NT - (Ashton)
                                 You need to throw a fixin' in thar somwheres. - (brettj) - (4)
                                     No no no. - (Yendor) - (1)
                                         Down Yendor? - (brettj)
                                     Close. - (tseliot) - (1)
                                         By Golly, I reckon ya hit the nail square on, dag nab it! -NT - (brettj)
                         But that's NOT a PLURAL "s", it's a POSSESSIVE "'s" (Note ') -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
                             Bzzzzt! It's a contraction, and redundant at that. -NT - (drewk) - (4)
                                 Well duh, aren't they all? - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                     Right there in your subject line - (drewk) - (1)
                                         So you missed the bit... - (CRConrad)
                                     OK then: __"Y'all's gotta go see.."__ - (Ashton)
             Likely this is a more critical nuance than most have - (Ashton)
         I'd retiltle it: "The Usual Way Linux becomes a Biz Strategy - (brettj)

I fell in love with my manservant, who was
actually the disguised twin sister of the
man that my former love secretly married,
having mistaken him for my manservant who
was wooing her on my behalf whilst secretly
in love with me.

187 ms