IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New define time "What is a Mailing List" eg iwe@warhead.org.uk
need to define angel pin dancing again elsewhere. To me a mailing list is an automated, moderated reply to all function or new to adress alias from addressbook, no more no less.
any and all input appreciated.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New It has multiple definitions
If I have a list of people who I want to email, I call that a mailing list.

I also call it a mailing list when there is a program whose job is to make it easy for people to subscribe themselves, unsubscribe themselves, and mail the whole list. (Possibly with various filters, etc.)

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New trying to define the programatic ones for an IETF WG
to resolve a threats analysis
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New OK then, try this
A mailing list is an email address which can forward emails to a group of people. Mailing lists do not necessarily forward all email, frequently there is an automated or manual approval before forwarding happens.

A mailing list manager is a person or program which maintains one or more mailing lists.

An automated mailing list manager is a mailing list manager which is a program. Examples of programs which may be used for this include mailman, sympa and ezmlm.

Note that I made your "moderated" piece optional. While public mailing lists tend to be moderated, many private ones are not. For instance most of the mailing lists which I am on at work are not moderated - anyone who knows the address can send any email they like to the group.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     define time "What is a Mailing List" eg iwe@warhead.org.uk - (boxley) - (3)
         It has multiple definitions - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             trying to define the programatic ones for an IETF WG - (boxley) - (1)
                 OK then, try this - (ben_tilly)

The last time he socialized with us, he got flamed like a mosquito in a bug zapper.
54 ms