IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Fixing IE's CSS
In case this hasn't been posted here before:

[link|http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/overview/|http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/overview/]
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Um - so this is javascript that interprets/implements CSS?
Its a shitty name for a tool considering that I've been dealing with fires because a certain monolith today pointed their latest chained monster in the cellar at some of our stuff and it croaked on it - largely because of workarounds we have I suspect.

There is a real thing by that name coming out for beta v2 soon and having at compatibility library called the same thing is just stupid. It took me 10 minutes of surfing his page to figure out what his thing did because I thought it was the other thing.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Stupid name, yes.
I think it was a bit of optimism that IE7 (the real thing) would fix all of the broken things in IE6.

I'm dreading 7, personally.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New I'll see it tomorrow

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Microsoft are under considerable pressure to get IE 7 right.
And that means fixing all the bugs that there are popular workarounds for.

There are signs the professional web designer industry is going to crucify them if they get it wrong - and it appears MS knows this, but they're trying to be cool about it.

Wade.
"Insert crowbar. Apply force."
New Uh, yeah.
It has already been established that IE 7 is still a steaming pile.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Beta 1 looks exactly like 6
but with more UI chrome (tabs, new button icons).

I'm interested to see if this remains true when B2 comes out (which will be widely distributed I'm told).

New The real pressure on Microsoft is to have...
...[link|http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/255538_msftads13.html|Clickable Shoes]. That and the fact that Avalon is supposed to make the browser obsolete.
New I despise the pervasiveness of advertising in our society
And this would move M$ to the top of my most despised companies if they weren;t already there.

New Avalon.
... and the fact that Avalon is supposed to make the browser obsolete.

I'd say that would be the other face of IE7 development. Microsoft developers are basically [link|http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/09/02/460115.aspx|on record] as saying they want to fix most of the CSS bugs that people complain about. However, everyone knows that Microsoft is rife with politics. It would be a fair bet that there is active lobbying against IE improvements by those who want HTML to die.

Wade.
New That would be completely stupid
do they imagine in their sick little minds for just one second that someone like Amazon would drop html and switch to a windows only technology? (Actually, I've spoken to several of them and - yes, they do imagine this).

Avalon is a UI serialization scheme - rather like xul, but not portable. No way they'll pull the web into that world. They are losing ground (marketshare) daily, this would be one more push.

New You know that and I know that.
But obviously there is a sizable portion of Microsoft which does not. :-)

Wade.
New how long do you think it will be ...
before they learn it?
half-past too late?
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New One can only hope....
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Microsoft makes constant blunders...
...but they also are dominant enough to hedge all their bets. It's usually easy enough to figure out their strategy - just look at the companies they see as the biggest threat at any particular moment in time.

IE was used as a tool to put Netscape out of business. It is currently their hedge against Mozilla. MS doesn't really see Mozilla as a strong threat but neither can they afford to totally ignore them. IE7 is a defensive action, not really intended to be a serious "innovation". Do just enough to keep Mozilla from gaining any more ground.

On the other hand, Microsoft does see Google as the enemy to their hegemony and expansionism. A full frontal assault with MSN has yielded only a foothold in the search engine (read advertising) market. IE7 probably does nothing to help in that battle. If they could expand the desktop metaphor through Avalon, then they can gain leverage in terms of the technology. However, that's a long term strategy that requires a delicate balance between keeping competitors at bay (by incrmentally improving IE) and chucking it all with a whole 'nother delivery mechanism.

In my opinion, the best strategy against Google is one of driving down the price of the search engines - ala what they did to Netscape. But Google is gonna be harder to crack since they already have a market presence that doesn't rely on end users shelling out money (it's all about eyeballs). Avalon is ambitious, but it will have a hard time gaining traction. It is good about one thing though, and that is it smothers out other possible internet based protocols. SVG, XForms and all those other XML acronyms will have a harder time gaining acceptance, simply because people will wonder how it fits in with the Avalon stuff. IOW, IE7 and Avalon really will be as much about locking us into the current widely accepted standards and nothing much is going to happen in the near (or even long) term future. MS pretty much controls the status quo, so they won't see it as a loss.
     Fixing IE's CSS - (admin) - (14)
         Um - so this is javascript that interprets/implements CSS? - (tuberculosis) - (13)
             Stupid name, yes. - (admin) - (12)
                 I'll see it tomorrow -NT - (tuberculosis)
                 Microsoft are under considerable pressure to get IE 7 right. - (static) - (10)
                     Uh, yeah. - (admin) - (1)
                         Beta 1 looks exactly like 6 - (tuberculosis)
                     The real pressure on Microsoft is to have... - (ChrisR) - (7)
                         I despise the pervasiveness of advertising in our society - (tuberculosis)
                         Avalon. - (static) - (5)
                             That would be completely stupid - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                 You know that and I know that. - (static) - (2)
                                     how long do you think it will be ... - (cforde) - (1)
                                         One can only hope.... -NT - (jb4)
                             Microsoft makes constant blunders... - (ChrisR)

That would be like Scott taking the Wal*Mart cruise.
221 ms