IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sounds like it's repairable.
[link|http://groups.google.com/group/alt.hvac/browse_thread/thread/d485b84037730166/e6ddff03b37ab58e?lnk=st&q=furnace++diagnosis&rnum=4#e6ddff03b37ab58e|Google Groups]:

I have a YORK gas furnace, approximately 13 years old (I have only been in the house 1 year). I have been experiencing intermittent problems with it the last couple of days. The problem is that the heater ignites and but the blower does not always kick on. I understand that there should be a delay, but often times the blower just doesn't kick on. Sometimes the blower kicks on after the flames go out. This problem occurred when I first moved in and if I pushed in on the relay switch, the blower kicked on. Now that trick doesn't work. I had a tech come in and he pulled out the Fan/Limit control and told me Oxygen is getting into the chamber causing the control to knock off. His diagnosis was to replace the heater.

[...]

Well, I had a second opinion. A guy came out this morning and spent about 30 minutes testing the system (the previous guy took 5 minutes). It turns out that the Pressure Switch is sticking and needs to be replaced. This is causing the system to cycle on and off intermittently. He tapped the switch an recreated the problem for me. He also suggested I wait to have the repairs done during the week so that I wouldn't get charged for an "emergency" repair. It's people like this that give me hope that the world hasn't gone to hell in a hand basket.

[...]

When we bought this 1963-vintage house ~ 7.5 years ago it had a ~ 20 year old furnace and the original Trane air conditioner. We [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=36591|replaced ] the furnace (and A/C because) it was noisy and inefficient and had continuing problems with a circuit board failing (yielding no heat at all). The A/C was undersized for the house, ran all the time and didn't cool the place below ~ 80 F in the summer. Replacement was appropriate for us. Admin [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=192391|replaced] his his too, for substantially less than we paid (different brands, areas, etc.).

As long as the heat exchanger isn't cracked or there isn't something else major wrong, it can be fixed. The benefits of replacement are it'll be quieter, more efficient, and more reliable.

With the cold snap you might have trouble having someone come out in a "non-emergency" visit. But have someone come out. My guess is you'll only be looking at a few hundred to get it fixed. Pumpkin and EGC will thank you.

HTH. Luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New It's Sunday and a bit chilly
Snow on the ground, but not a lot.
We all have heated waterbeds.
I have couple electric oil radiators.
I'm typing wearing biking gloves.
I refuse to believe this is an emergency.
Barb disagrees, but I will not budge and get someone here on a Sunday.
Of course, I will call around, and see if I can have someone tomorrow.
New Box is correct.
Turn fan on all the time. If if doesn't come on at all, then you have a larger issue. If it does come on, then it is definitely NOT emergency work and you can save yourself $100 easy.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New a fan is pretty dumb wire it direct to current to run all
time and bypass all the controls, think he hs a broken sensor of some type.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New OK, thanks
Fan + heat on thermostat runs.
New Of course, I might be killing myself
I get woozy after it's been running a few minutes.
Barb shows no symptoms.
The carbon monoxide detecter shows nothing, but hell, it's 10 years old.
Not worth chancing it.
Turning off - wait for them to look at it tomorrow.

Let's review a few days ago.
EGC flushes something she should not have.
Toilet next to vent directly over furnace get a pretty big hit of water (and other things). Works that night. Stops working the next night.
Hmmmmm.
Heat exchange corrosion finally push over the edge?
New And...
Heated waterbed + wife, why would you need a furnace?
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New When's the last time you cleaned the inside of the vent?
If it was lined with lint, like they usually get to be, then you got grey mud down into the furnace. Can't be good for any sensors that may be inside.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Clean?
Yeah right.

I consider the dustballs blowing around my house to be entertainment for the cats.
Why would I want to get rid of them?

Other than the fact they could kill me or cost me a fortune, of course.
     Furnace borked - help! - (broomberg) - (20)
         What is this furnace thing of which you speak? - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
             Yeah, but you're falling in the sea - (broomberg) - (3)
                 Sorry, that happened millions of years ago. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                     Solid? Hah! - (broomberg) - (1)
                         Well, naturally there's a little friction . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         furnaces are pretty dumb - (boxley) - (5)
             You're not helping - (broomberg) - (4)
                 ICLRPD - (jake123) - (1)
                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (jake123)
                 put fan on full time via thermostat - (boxley)
                 What, I have a vodka brand of my own? Since when? - (CRConrad)
         Sounds like it's repairable. - (Another Scott) - (8)
             It's Sunday and a bit chilly - (broomberg) - (7)
                 Box is correct. - (bepatient) - (6)
                     a fan is pretty dumb wire it direct to current to run all - (boxley) - (5)
                         OK, thanks - (broomberg) - (4)
                             Of course, I might be killing myself - (broomberg) - (3)
                                 And... - (jbrabeck)
                                 When's the last time you cleaned the inside of the vent? - (drewk) - (1)
                                     Clean? - (broomberg)

She says, "Hey, I really got to leave!" Dang!
54 ms