IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New An alternate approach
If I can't get both monitors sharing the same set of virtual desktops, I could almost get that effect if there was some way to have a single running instance of an application display on 2 different X servers.

Then I could start 2 servers, then for email and the browser, launch and mirror them on the two servers. Then there would be a desktop on the left that has email and a desktop on the right. And vice versa.

So while I couldn't get the same exact desktop on both monitors, I could see the same running instances of applications on both.

A co-worker said that he once ran across a program that did this. But it didn't do what he needed, so he never used it. And he doesn't remember what it was, how it worked, or what gotchas might have come with it.

I could achieve this effect through VNC, because that has a multicast mode. But that doesn't integrate very well with the desktop, and I wonder whether the kludginess might drive me insane. So I'm not quite willing to go there yet.

Does this ring any bells for anyone else?

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New I will check tommorow if Solaris 10 x86 supports that
could do it under spark 2.6, we had one copy of hp openview that was spread on 2 screens (up to 15 with some addons)
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
     An alternate approach - (ben_tilly) - (1)
         I will check tommorow if Solaris 10 x86 supports that - (boxley)

I've got you in my hands.
97 ms