IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thai sweet and sour sauce
We went to [link|http://www.bangkokcuisine.net|Bangkok Cuisine] last night and a good meal was had by all. Even my oldest son, notoriously finicky eater that he is, enjoyed the Pad Kra Tiem. I had the Masaman (potato, onion, tofu, and peanuts in Masaman curry with coconut milk), a first for me because I invariably go for the Pad Thai, which is so delicious I find it difficult to stray. My wife had the Pad Thai, though, so all was good.

Now, the reason I'm posting involves the spring rolls. These were normal cabbage and carrot spring rolls, but I'd never had the sauce before. The sauce was clear with ground peanuts dropped on the top, and it had a slightly sweet taste with a small bite of hot peppers. Quite possibly this was one of the best dipping sauces I've ever had.

So the question is, how do I make this stuff at home? I'm guessing it's something like thin corn syrup with ground hot peppers, but I'm not a cook.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New I think I've got that one . . get back to you in a bit.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Oh, I love that sauce
It varies by Thai restaurant around here.
They typically call it sweet oil.
New This was called "sweet and sour sauce"
But there wasn't anything sour to it.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New OK, here's two versions
These two represent the extremes of sour and sweet for this sauce. You can play with the ratios to match your own taste - I tried both these a few minutes ago and think I'd prefer something in between. Just play with the ingredients until you get it how you like it. (Edit: I mixed the two together for storage and do like it better that way). Palm sugar is best if you can get it, otherwise turbinado or white sugar.
    - This is the sour one -
  • Mix 1/4 c sugar with 1/2 cup water and bring to a simmer covered until sugar is dissolved
  • Take off heat and mix in 1/2 cup vinegar (rice or white), 2 T Fish Sauce (or 1 t salt) and 1 T chili-garlic sauce.
  • Top with 1/4 cup coursly ground peanuts or macadamia nuts.
    - This is the sweet one -
  • Mix 1/2 cup sugar with 1/4 cup vinegar (rice or white) and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a simmer and simmer covered until sugar is dissolved.
  • Take off heat and mix in 2 T Fish Sauce (or 1 t salt) and 1 T chili-garlic sauce.
  • Top with 1/4 cup coursly chopped peanuts or macadamia nuts.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Jan. 8, 2006, 01:37:41 PM EST
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Jan. 8, 2006, 02:18:31 PM EST
New I'll give that a try, thanks muchly.
My son actually put some of the sauce on his coconut ice cream, he liked it so much.
Regards,

-scott anderson

Thai sweet and sour sauce - (admin) - (5)
         I think I've got that one . . get back to you in a bit. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
         Oh, I love that sauce - (broomberg) - (1)
             This was called "sweet and sour sauce" - (admin)
         OK, here's two versions - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             I'll give that a try, thanks muchly. - (admin)

So I pulled into a Shell station. They said I'd blown a seal. I said, "Fix the damn thing and leave my private life out of it, OK, pal??"
45 ms