1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'm biased of course
I like Trawnna.

Of the remaining big cities I've visited here in Canuckleland I'd rank them:

Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, Ottawa

I've been to Vancouver twice. Once in the summer and once in February. I'd like to visit again and it's really the only other city I could live in here. There even wasn't much rain during both visits.

I've been to Montreal one and a half times. The half time was over New Years. COLD! Nothing open. The second time was over the May 2-4 which was more pleasant but was rainy. The beer was good. The French language wasn't. I can get by mostly reading thanks to grades 4 through 12 French classes but putting together a quick cohesive & understandable sentence is more difficult. Actually understanding what is said is the hardest. I may have another Montreal trip in June so I'm going to try working on the speaking part. Hopefully the listening will improve too.

I've been to Ottawa twice. Once in January for five days (cold, cold! COLD!) and once in March (low single digits cel.) Small and BORING! My only real pleasure was shaking my fist violently at the Feds Parliament building each time we walked or drove by. The only way I'd ever go back is if I scored Leafs vs Sens playoff tickets where the Leafs can bounce the Sens. Schahweeeet! :-p
lister
New Quebec City, Sherbrook
Edmonton and Victoria. Whitehorse although barely a city. I agree ottowa sux, he peg is a great place if you know somebody.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Victoria is not at the top of the list???
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New too many satanists and not enough snow
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New No snow I grant but the Satanists are a myth
I believed that one as well as a kid, but the truth was that Victoria was just unlucky enough to have an early member of false memory syndrome who wrote a book about her "experiences".

However I suspect that the Wiccan community was somewhat larger than expected in a city that size. (They are, of course, completely unconnected to Satanism.)

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New tripped over the dam things when I was there and yes
a large wiccan community as well, I was there in 73 or so, beleive that was prior to any book
thanx,
bill
New Huh, lived there for years and...
I don't remember any Satanists.

I remember lots of allegations that there were lots of Satanists, but no actual Satanists.

By contrast I did know a lot of Wiccans.

Cheers,
Ben
New How would you know?
Were they wearing their "Fuck a moose for Satan" badges?

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New Hey! I *want* one of those!
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New ICLRPD (new thread)
Created as new thread #240691 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=240691|ICLRPD]
When somebody asks you to trade your freedoms for security, it isn't your security they're talking about.
New Of course not!
Moose live in shield rock terrain, not mountains.

Out there, it's more likely "Fuck a cougar for Satan".
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Stay away from the cougar on Vancouver Island!
There is a particularly dangerous subspecies there. Despite the fact that cougars are found through North America from Florida on west, fully 1/3 of all fatal cougar attacks have taken place on Vancouver Island.

Cheers,
Ben
New And, of course, the one's down in the Gasworks district
they can be dangerous as well. 'Course, as you say, they can be found all across the land... when I was in my early thirties, a particularly Quebecois variant found me to be tasty; I had to beat them off with a stick.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New You can do that with a stick?
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New If it was already on the ground, it wasn't serious
Cougar like to rest in trees about 20 feet up and drop on prey. Ideally they land on the head, twist, and break the neck as they fall. If a group of animals goes past, the cougar will always pick the last one.

This is how 70 pound cats manage to routinely kill 800 pound elk.

A cougar on the ground still has teeth and claws, but can't use its best attack and is not very hard to dissuade.

A cougar in a tree is also fairly easy to dissuade - be tall. The taller you are, the bigger you look, and the less inclined the cat will be to go for you. Kids look doable to a cougar. Adults do not (even though we really wouldn't be hard to kill).

The moral of this story is simple. When out hiking - in an area with cougars - particularly on Vancouver Island - do not let a child be a straggler.

Ben

PS My wife once worked for someone who lost his 5 year old son in exactly this way.
New I was a street child, lots of people like to help you
met some nice wiccans, a few jesus freaks 1 normal of course the bikers were always good for a meal and a beer. The satanists were just convinced that a few ceremonies involving crowley type activities were all I needed to get the best out of life, in one case whether I wanted to or not, Luckily I was traveling with a friend named JJ who like myself didnt let psychadelics interfere too much with survival instincts.
thanx,
bill
New The book Box, the book!
How long will it take to write it?
I volunteer to proof for typos - I'll even help convert Boxlish to English for the initiated.
New Was gonna post that, too
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
     Chicago to lose The Berghoff in February - (lincoln) - (69)
         Well that's a shame - (bionerd)
         It'll be missed. - (Silverlock)
         Feh. Chicago deserves all the worst of everything. - (mmoffitt) - (63)
             There's more to Chicago than Meigs Field... -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Wrong. There's nothing "there" there anymore. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     O Ye of Little Faith - (jb4)
             Such epithets from an Indianan! - (jb4) - (2)
                 They had Meigs. We didn't. They tore it up. They are worse. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     It was done for your protection, Mike! - (a6l6e6x)
             Which big city isn't? - (Silverlock) - (24)
                 1) Toronto 2) Vancouver -NT - (mmoffitt) - (23)
                     You forgot Montreal -NT - (jake123) - (2)
                         Yabut there's that whole language thing (for some) ;0) - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                             Much Nicer than toronto, a little nicer than vancouver -NT - (boxley)
                     Well if you want to bring in furrin cities. - (Silverlock) - (19)
                         ICLRPD (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
                         I'm biased of course - (lister) - (17)
                             Quebec City, Sherbrook - (boxley) - (16)
                                 Victoria is not at the top of the list??? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (15)
                                     too many satanists and not enough snow -NT - (boxley) - (14)
                                         No snow I grant but the Satanists are a myth - (ben_tilly) - (13)
                                             tripped over the dam things when I was there and yes - (boxley) - (12)
                                                 Huh, lived there for years and... - (ben_tilly)
                                                 How would you know? - (pwhysall) - (10)
                                                     Hey! I *want* one of those! -NT - (jb4)
                                                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (inthane-chan)
                                                     Of course not! - (jake123) - (4)
                                                         Stay away from the cougar on Vancouver Island! - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                             And, of course, the one's down in the Gasworks district - (jake123) - (2)
                                                                 You can do that with a stick? -NT - (drewk)
                                                                 If it was already on the ground, it wasn't serious - (ben_tilly)
                                                     I was a street child, lots of people like to help you - (boxley) - (2)
                                                         The book Box, the book! - (broomberg) - (1)
                                                             Was gonna post that, too -NT - (drewk)
             Re: Feh. Chicago deserves all the worst of everything. - (lincoln) - (31)
                 s/chinatown/barrio you are describing texas :-) -NT - (boxley) - (15)
                     Bite your tongue! - (lincoln) - (14)
                         fried dog is fried dog, peppers or sweet and sour -NT - (boxley) - (13)
                             Chicago inspectors don't allow fried dog - (lincoln) - (12)
                                 sweet potatoe pie, oysters, shrimp, crab - (boxley) - (10)
                                     Everything but the peanut butter and Coca-Cola - (lincoln) - (9)
                                         chances are you wouldnt know you were eating it - (boxley) - (8)
                                             It is said you can get dog in Los Angeles . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                             And I can get this in Chicago WHERE? - (lincoln) - (6)
                                                 right here, woodland art center - (boxley) - (5)
                                                     How do you say 'Here kitty kitty' in Chinese? -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                     I asked for CHICAGO; you give me CALIFORNIA - (lincoln) - (3)
                                                         Yeah, in California it's no big deal - just expensive. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                         thot that was chicago? okay this one IS - (boxley) - (1)
                                                             Got the city right - (lincoln)
                                 Kudzu salad.... -NT - (jb4)
                 Authentic New York pizza is better than Chicago - (ben_tilly) - (14)
                     I dunno what yer smokin', Ben - (jb4) - (1)
                         I SAID they should be called different things! - (ben_tilly)
                     They're different, but Chicago's will ALWAYS be better - (lincoln) - (11)
                         well when I was in Gurnee north of chicago - (boxley) - (4)
                             Right next door to Gurnee is outstanding pizza - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                 Hillery's has competition! - (jb4)
                             GAK! - (jb4) - (1)
                                 chances slim, since that company went belly up -NT - (boxley)
                         A year ago. When was the last time you had... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                             They are different things - (bepatient)
                         Too long - deep dish pie at Gepetto's in Oak Park - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                             And it looks like an honest pizza joint too - (lincoln)
                             I think Edwardo's in Oak Park - (lincoln) - (1)
                                 Eduardo's is a (local?) chain - (jb4)
         Shall we keep score? - (jb4) - (2)
             Heh... - (hnick)
             Hell, here in Los Angeles we lose . . . - (Andrew Grygus)

Actually about a funicular railway!
400 ms