IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ubuntu issue w/Athlon64, NVidia GEForce 6800gs
As you all know, I recently picked up a [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=239669|nice little box]. Windows runs on it just fine; thought I'd throw Ubuntu on it and see how that runs. I should also mention that there is a PCHDTV 3000 card in there as well.

The following is using Breezy Badger, 5.10.

After figuring out which network port was actually supported out of the box, the installation proceeded without any difficulties. Machine finishes installing packages, then reboots for first startup. Initializes the display and...

Garbage. I'm not talking "refresh rate is broken" - I'm talking the display has the x and the y down, but all I'm getting is a bizzare patterned bitmap.

Take a look at the disk I'm using, and notice that it's the i86 version. Go grab the AMD64 version, install that, exact same behavior occurs again. Boot into recovery mode, apt-get update, apt-get upgrade. Reboot, same thing all over again.

I'm going to take a Debian disk home with me today, but just wanted to see if anybody had any immediate insights, or if a specific logfile might help. I'm also going to post this on the Ubuntu forums and see if I can get any play. Note: I haven't installed NVidia's proprietary drivers yet. Might try that.
When somebody asks you to trade your freedom for security, it isn't your security they're talking about.
New I think I saw that with Caldera once.
...but all I'm getting is a bizzare patterned bitmap.

Is it a black and gray thatch-like pattern? Is it the same background that you see when the X cursor first appears, but magnified?

If so, I think that's what I was seeing with Caldera [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=37893|once upon a time]. (Check the rest of the thread too.) It's probably an X monitor configuration issue, of some sort.

If it's not that, I dunno. BB's been OK when I've tried it recently on my T41 laptop and the Presario I gave Ashton.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: I think I saw that with Caldera once.
Nope, I know the pattern you're talking about, and that's not it. This looks like somebody randomly generated a 16x16 bitmap, then repeated it across the whole screen.
When somebody asks you to trade your freedom for security, it isn't your security they're talking about.
New Fixed.
All it took was installing NVidia's drivers. It's dreamy!
     Ubuntu issue w/Athlon64, NVidia GEForce 6800gs - (inthane-chan) - (3)
         I think I saw that with Caldera once. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Re: I think I saw that with Caldera once. - (inthane-chan)
         Fixed. - (inthane-chan)

Those are German nouns, so they must always be capitalized.
61 ms