IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You overstate the case significantly
With 3000 points at 1000 operations/second (and if it is only doing 1000 operations/second, then you have another problem...) it will finish in 3000^2/1000=9000 seconds, or just a few hours. Your friend was doing something else wrong if it hosed his computer for a week.

Also travelling salesman is not as bad as you make it out to be. Travelling salesman takes O(n*n!) with the naive algorithm. (For n locations you can just try each possible order of visiting locations, and calculating each answer takes order n work. If you want to be smarter about it, you can stop looking at a path as soon as it takes longer than the best you have. In the real world that tends to reduce the problem complexity by quite a bit, but it doesn't help in the worst case.) So travelling salesman of 7 takes 35,280 steps. 8 takes 322,560 steps. And so on.

At the measly 1000 operations/second, you can solve it for 10 in a half-day. At a more optimistic 1,000,000 operations per second, you can solve it for 13 in about a day. It is also a highly parallelizable problem, so you can easily split the work across multiple computers working in parallel, so you can realistically do a bit more than that.

Of course if you wanted to work out, say, 20 in a year, it would take about 15,000 computers that were each doing a hundred million calculations per second to do it...

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Yeah, that's true
but it can be fun to polemicize on something completely trivial like that.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
     Need to QC an active linux box. - (broomberg) - (20)
         My guess would be handles - (jake123) - (18)
             How can an external process tell? -NT - (broomberg) - (17)
                 AFAIK, it can't. - (jake123) - (16)
                     Erm? - (jb4) - (15)
                         No, not necessarily. - (jake123) - (14)
                             And not necessarily again - (ben_tilly) - (13)
                                 A) Thanks. B) Harrumph! - (jb4) - (12)
                                     Well, of course you need disciplined programming - (jake123) - (8)
                                         Stupid "never took a CS course" question - (drewk) - (7)
                                             If you have to iterate over every possible combination - (jake123) - (6)
                                                 I like your answer! (Esp. the 1st sentence...) -NT - (jb4) - (1)
                                                     Well, it's not like it's not true... - (jake123)
                                                 Okay, about what I thought - (drewk) - (1)
                                                     Not only hard - (jake123)
                                                 You overstate the case significantly - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                     Yeah, that's true - (jake123)
                                     Disciplined programming, eh? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                         Sounds like you may never have heard of it? -NT - (jb4) - (1)
                                             Nah, just that I've rarely *seen* it -NT - (drewk)
         do a netstat -a | grep -i waiting - (boxley)

Sharp as a balloon.
59 ms