IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Perl Oracle Java question
have an oracle database that a perfectly good vendor perl script retrieves useful information from the vendor's oracle database using DBI

In house portal crew wants to retreive same info from the table using java within their own app. Since I am somewhat leery that if the vendor changes the nature of the database, the inhouse app might crap out, was wondering how to run the perl script from a portal app. Any general pointers?
thanx,
bill
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New That's really a Java question
The Perl script is just another Unix executable. So you just have to call a shell command. [link|http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-12-2000/jw-1229-traps.html|http://www.javaworld...w-1229-traps.html] verifies that it is possible to do that in Java. (Thanks Peter for finding that for me.)

If what you wanted to do was mix Perl and Java in the same layer, you might be able to do it with Inline::Java, but I wouldn't be too confident about that working well or easily.

If you want to get fancy, you could wrap the Perl up as a web service and call that from Java, but that just adds lots of overhead and complications to what should be simple.

Chers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     Perl Oracle Java question - (boxley) - (1)
         That's really a Java question - (ben_tilly)

Smoke the pipe, and there will be no lies between us.
50 ms