IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I had to use that approach once, briefly
Even though I was a pretty raw programmer at the time, it didn't take me long to figure out that it was easier to write valid HTML then autogenerate PL/SQL to write that than it was to write it directly in PL/SQL. OK, that was a long time ago (Oracle 7), but I remember being distinctly unimpressed by the environment.

I also remember thinking that it was inherently going to be a scalability problem, putting everything into the database. If you offload at least something to webservers, then you can easily increase the number of webservers for that component, and hit database bottlenecks later.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New As it turns out...
The query performance behind the pages completely overshadows any hit from running HTML-producing PL/SQL. By orders of magnitude. Moving the page generation to the web servers, while a good idea for other reasons, just means that your page generation can run quickly but the queries are still just as slow, so there's no speed increase.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New I see your point but...
performance on individual pages is very different than overall system throughput.

In fact I would expect the usual webserver approach makes individual pages slower to generate (greater latency between webserver and database). What I was saying, though, is that I'd expect the overall system to be able to generate more pages/second.

My two major areas of concern would be overall I/O throughput (HTML tends to be more data than query results) and CPU bottlenecks (Oracle loves to waste lots of CPU on spinlocks, generating very high loads).

However this is all theoretical. I've never seen two equivalent systems created and benchmarked against each other.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     Oracle tuning question - (admin) - (23)
         Try doing it in JavaScript - (drewk) - (1)
             Attach the table to MS Access? -NT - (ChrisR)
         ln /dev/null /oradata/archive/redolog.log -NT - (boxley)
         Answers - (ben_tilly) - (13)
             Re: Answers - (admin) - (12)
                 I talked to a real DBA - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                     Re: I talked to a real DBA - (admin) - (10)
                         If the data isn't critical, then put it in MySQL. - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                             Ain't gonna happen... - (admin) - (8)
                                 You know that phonograph label? - (drewk) - (7)
                                     The RCA label? "The Masters Voice" -NT - (folkert)
                                     You know what that dog's thinking of, don't you? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         I fixed my permissions problem - (drewk)
                                     I'm not too surprised - (admin) - (3)
                                         I had to use that approach once, briefly - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                             As it turns out... - (admin) - (1)
                                                 I see your point but... - (ben_tilly)
         Need to have stats of what is happening. - (broomberg) - (5)
             That will take me a bit. - (admin) - (4)
                 Re: That will take me a bit. - (broomberg) - (3)
                     Sent you an email. -NT - (admin) - (2)
                         Email had no DB info, was address stuff only -NT - (broomberg) - (1)
                             Was just making sure before I sent it; sent. -NT - (admin)

A colonoscopy, while eerily similar, is probably better than politics.
88 ms