IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New More info for you on Paul
It comes from the [link|http://www.jewsforjesus.org/|Jews for Jesus] web site.

[link|http://www.jewsforjesus.org/answers/evidence/paul.htm|[link|http://www.jewsforjesus.org/answers/evidence/paul.htm|http://www.jewsforj...nce/paul.htm]] some evidence on Paul. Also [link|http://www.jewsforjesus.org/answers/objections/paul.htm|[link|http://www.jewsforjesus.org/answers/objections/paul.htm|http://www.jewsforj...ons/paul.htm]] some objections. I hope that it helps clear things up. Nobody has to read it if they do not want to.

[link|http://www.jewsforjesus.org/answers/qa/pauldeceive.htm|[link|http://www.jewsforjesus.org/answers/qa/pauldeceive.htm|http://www.jewsforj...ldeceive.htm]]:

The New Testament passage in question that supposedly reveals
Paul as a deceiver is First Corinthians 9:20-22:

To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those
under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself
am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those
not having the law I became like one not having the law (though
I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as
to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to
win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by
all possible means I might save some.

Far from being deceptive, Paul, when he wrote the passage
from First Corinthians, was drawing on Jewish communications
methods of his day. Like other Jewish leaders, Paul was simply
being a good teacher and communicator. What Paul sets forth in
First Corinthians is not a principle of deceit and expediency,
but a principle of communication such as was taught and practiced
by Hillel and others. Craig Keener, Professor
of New Testament, Hood Theological Seminary, places First Corinthians
9:20-22 firmly within a Jewish context.

Some Jewish teachers, like Hillel, were similarly accommodationists,
to win as many as possible to the truth.

--The IVP Bible Background Commentary (Downers
Grove IL: InterVarsity Press, 1993), p. 472.

Similarly, David Daube, a Jewish Professor
of Law at University of California, Berkeley, wrote at length
about Paul's principles as found in First Corinthians 9:20-22.
The following is taken from a much longer chapter, "Missionary
Maxims in Paul," which is found in Daube's book The New
Testament and Rabbinic Judaism
:

[This idea is] taken over by Paul from Jewish teaching on
the subject: the idea that you must adopt the customs and mood
of the person you wish to win over....

First, for the idea of accommodation. Let us start from a
passage in I Corinthians [Daube quotes First Corinthians 9:20-22].

This attitude had formed part of Jewish missionary practice
long before Paul. Two Talmudic illustrations of Hillel's work
are relevant: he accepted into the fold a gentile who refused
to acknowledge the oral Law, and he accepted another who refused
to acknowledge any Law beyond the most fundamental ethical principle
[b. Shabbat 31a and Avot de-Rabbi Nathan 15]...At the decisive
moment of conversion, he fell in with the notions of the applicant
and declared himself satisfied with recognition of the written
Law or a single, basic moral precept....

Hillel, we might put it, was made all things to all men, that
he might by all means save some.

[Hillel had a saying] which may chiefly contemplate relations
to outsiders [Tosefta Berachot 2.24]: "Do not appear naked,
do not appear dressed, do not appear laughing, do not appear
weeping -- as it is said, A time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing [Ecclesiastes
3:4f.]....

In the treatises Derekh Eretz Rabba and Derekh Eretz Zuta,
we meet with descendants of Hillel's maxim. The former contains
this paragraph: "A man should not be joyful among the weeping,
nor weep among the joyful, nor wake among the sleeping, nor sleep
among the waking, nor stand among the sitting, nor sit among
the standing--the principle of the matter is, A man should not
make different his mind from that of his fellows and the sons
of men." The passage from Derekh Eretz Zuta is substantially
the same, with two exceptions: there is a further pair of warnings,
"nor should he read Scripture among those reading Mishnah,
nor Mishnah among those reading Scripture," while the summing
up runs, "A man should not differ from the usage of the
creatures."

These paragraphs are evidence that Hillel's idea was taken
up by others and lived on....

"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
New Interesting excerpts. Thanks.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New You are most welcome
it is better to show a debate already played out, than to play the same one out again. This was we can go over the old debate, and see what issues they didn't already cover. :)
"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
     Jefferson Bible [Fixed] - (JayMehaffey) - (95)
         Please edit link - it's not working. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         The NT according to Ox - (boxley) - (91)
             At last - a useable translation! - (Ashton) - (90)
                 that part was always hard to figure - (boxley) - (89)
                     Query. - (static) - (87)
                         Long thread on slezyboard - (boxley) - (86)
                             Ah. Thanks. -NT - (static) - (85)
                                 heres the part Paul was not born a Jew - (boxley) - (84)
                                     Don't take it completely out of isolation. - (static) - (8)
                                         not to steal Nicks arg but - (boxley) - (4)
                                             Clearly you do not accept Paul's authority. - (static) - (3)
                                                 I dont - (boxley) - (2)
                                                     But you didn't answer my question. - (static) - (1)
                                                         sorry missed the question - (boxley)
                                         More info for you on Paul - (orion) - (2)
                                             Interesting excerpts. Thanks. -NT - (static) - (1)
                                                 You are most welcome - (orion)
                                     Bad example - (Fearless Freep) - (74)
                                         Spiritiual Jews? - (orion) - (73)
                                             Just multiply 'your take' by the total number - (Ashton)
                                             Doesn't to me - (Fearless Freep) - (71)
                                                 Part of the reason is that we have been - (boxley) - (70)
                                                     I agree somewhat - (orion) - (61)
                                                         Practically speaking - (Fearless Freep)
                                                         Misread - (Fearless Freep) - (9)
                                                             slight disagreement - (boxley) - (8)
                                                                 Don't agree - (Fearless Freep) - (7)
                                                                     he claimed he was G_d? - (boxley) - (6)
                                                                         Sure - (Fearless Freep) - (4)
                                                                             that was chuck's favorite phrase too. - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                                 Pretty far fetched - (Fearless Freep) - (2)
                                                                                     ya dont know too many mystics do ya - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                         Back on track? - (Fearless Freep)
                                                                         Re: he claimed he was G_d? - (Fearless Freep)
                                                         this might clear up a few misconceptions - (boxley) - (49)
                                                             Huh? - (Fearless Freep) - (48)
                                                                 sorry I was to terse in prior post - (boxley) - (47)
                                                                     How will you know a true messiah? - (orion) - (1)
                                                                         Re: How will you know a true messiah? - (bluke)
                                                                     Re: sorry I was to terse in prior post - (Fearless Freep) - (44)
                                                                         When you are skeptical of anyone - (orion) - (16)
                                                                             "The Dwarves are for the Dwarves" - (Fearless Freep)
                                                                             easy stuff - (boxley) - (14)
                                                                                 So um.... :) - (Fearless Freep) - (13)
                                                                                     need all of them and be decended from David - (boxley) - (11)
                                                                                         Re: need all of them and be decended from David - (Fearless Freep) - (10)
                                                                                             no problemo - (boxley) - (5)
                                                                                                 Jesus is supposed to come back - (orion) - (4)
                                                                                                     If you look at every religion - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                                                         Sorry but... - (Fearless Freep) - (1)
                                                                                                             Everyone is entitled to their own opinions - (orion)
                                                                                                         This is the way it is in the world - (orion)
                                                                                             Re: need all of them and be decended from David - (bluke) - (3)
                                                                                                 Re: need all of them and be decended from David - (Fearless Freep) - (2)
                                                                                                     With all due respect... - (bluke) - (1)
                                                                                                         Nonsense. - (addison)
                                                                                     What is the basis for the Second Coming? - (bluke)
                                                                         thats not the problem - (boxley) - (26)
                                                                             Ah. - (static) - (25)
                                                                                 No I believe he rose from the dead - (boxley) - (24)
                                                                                     At least you believe that - (orion) - (1)
                                                                                         like elijah and moses - (boxley)
                                                                                     Huh? - (Fearless Freep) - (4)
                                                                                         my bad I was thinking of Elijah and assumed moses - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                                             In the NT, Jesus spoke with both of them - (orion) - (2)
                                                                                                 Re: In the NT, Jesus spoke with both of them - (Fearless Freep) - (1)
                                                                                                     Conference call with Moses and Elijah - (orion)
                                                                                     Uh. Right. - (static) - (16)
                                                                                         The Brothers Karamazov covers aspects of this too... :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                         question - (boxley) - (14)
                                                                                             Re: question - (Fearless Freep) - (12)
                                                                                                 the law that G_d handed down - (boxley) - (11)
                                                                                                     Also don't forget - (orion) - (2)
                                                                                                         not new but went back home -m -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                                             Went back home - (orion)
                                                                                                     Sorry - (Fearless Freep) - (7)
                                                                                                         Amen to that! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                                                                                         kinda sorta this is what I was looking for - (boxley) - (5)
                                                                                                             Good advice for anyone IMO - (Steve Lowe)
                                                                                                             That's the problem - (Fearless Freep) - (3)
                                                                                                                 must have missed something - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                                                                     Some links. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                                                         I see he was foretelling his resurection - (boxley)
                                                                                             Answer. - (static)
                                                     Nope - (Fearless Freep) - (7)
                                                         Well, that's the general human condition - (mhuber) - (6)
                                                             Trivial - (Fearless Freep) - (5)
                                                                 hey Im a miracle! -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                     So am I then. - (orion) - (2)
                                                                         Then in truth - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                             I get what life and G_d gives me - (orion)
                                                                 Heh.. nicely put :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                     Re: that part was always hard to figure - (Fearless Freep)
         Curious and yet familiar, all the same. - (static) - (1)
             "Either God or a Bad Man" ... - (Fearless Freep)

Everybody knows the 'Linux' facade is just the skorry chepooka, til we shvat the strack of Vesch 6.66a.
104 ms