IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You CAN always leave means to override the default behaviour
In the Box example, an admin can globally alias rm="rm -i" which means that rm -rf * will still prompt for deletions. If you really want to blindly kill everyting you have to /bin/rm -rf * Similarly GUI based programs can have command line arguements that cause them to run completely silently.
In general, you build your program to suit your clients needs and put in exceptions if you have clients with varying needs. Make it easiest for the majority. This isn't that complicated once analysis has determined who the clients are and what their needs are.
New No, it can be very complicated
What if you don't know exactly who your customers are going to be and what they are going to need?

For example, let's say you're building a semi-standard product that has to be customized for each customer's product. It has to fit into their assembly lines and match with their standards (for data collection, safety, interface, etc). And the customers are always dreaming up new applications that can be quite different from the original customer. But it's unaffordable to do a separate software control program for each customer.

I'll just say there's a reason I like scripting languages.

Tony
New That's true.
Everything for everybody programs are a nightmare that seldom work. As with everything, there are different approachs. Scripting can be good, as can loadable sub programs that can be added or modified later. Being able to modify your program's interface with a configuration file can also work. All have good points and bad points depending on what you are trying to accomplish. There are a lot of ways to skin that cat, and the cat hates them all...
New ICLRPD (new thread)
Created as new thread #237022 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=237022|ICLRPD]
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
     Let's try it again then. - (ubernostrum) - (48)
         I don't think anyone disagrees with that. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Re: I don't think anyone disagrees with that. - (ubernostrum) - (3)
                 Sensible people don't want redundant configuration options. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Seriously. - (ubernostrum) - (1)
                         Balkanization -NT - (drewk)
         Fine - (broomberg) - (42)
             Re: Fine - (ubernostrum) - (40)
                 Simple example - (broomberg) - (16)
                     Re: Simple example - (altmann) - (1)
                         Hey - (broomberg)
                     No. - (ubernostrum) - (13)
                         Batch process. Automation. Piss off. -NT - (drewk) - (2)
                             It's probably a database permissions problem. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 Now that twitch in my left eye is back -NT - (drewk)
                         mickeysoft berk - (boxley)
                         You've made it plain - (broomberg) - (8)
                             You've made it plain - (ubernostrum) - (7)
                                 Reality check - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                     The statement that highlights the fundamental disconnect - (bepatient) - (5)
                                         Devil's advocate mode - (broomberg) - (4)
                                             You CAN always leave means to override the default behaviour - (hnick) - (3)
                                                 No, it can be very complicated - (tonytib) - (2)
                                                     That's true. - (hnick) - (1)
                                                         ICLRPD (new thread) - (drewk)
                 On its face - (bepatient) - (22)
                     I use Excel daily. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                         And why can't you do sparkle text *and* marching ants? -NT - (drewk)
                         That could mean Excel is a flawed example. - (static) - (1)
                             Number *format*. - (pwhysall)
                         you poor bastard -NT - (boxley)
                     Thanks for that link. Nostalgia! - (Another Scott)
                     Re: On its face - (ubernostrum) - (15)
                         Quick question for you - (ben_tilly) - (14)
                             I do not believe - (ubernostrum) - (13)
                                 Before anyone else responds to this ... - (drewk)
                                 Too Late, Drook. - (jake123) - (11)
                                     Ya gotta admit, it /is/ arse-ugly, though. - (pwhysall) - (10)
                                         Ya looking in the mirror again? ;-) -NT - (jbrabeck) - (3)
                                             I see many things in the mirror. OS/2 isn't one of them. -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                 And *I'm* the one that gets accused of fishing for LRPDs -NT - (drewk)
                                                 That's because it isn't behind you -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                         Ya gotta look at a version that's was released in this - (jake123) - (5)
                                             Re: Ya gotta look at a version that's was released in this - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                 Wow. 4 out of the 6 are very nice looking. - (folkert) - (1)
                                                     I take it your wife chooses the decor in your house. - (pwhysall)
                                             Jack, it' like trying to teach a pig to sing. -NT - (n3jja) - (1)
                                                 you've heard him, he cant sing :-) -NT - (boxley)
             Thanks, Barry, now I don't have to write that same post -NT - (drewk)

Egged on by rogue sentient trees, some of them do wish it.
394 ms