IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New iwethey.employed--
Well, due to circumstances beyond my control, I'm out of a job. Rather unexpected.

Oh well.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Gah. :-(
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New gack
Sorry to hear that. True suckage. :(
-YendorMike

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by the skeptics or the cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need people who dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
New :( Sorry to hear.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Bummer
This is probably a pretty good time to start looking for work though.

I think things are picking up a little after the end of year quiet time.
New blah!
why am I not surprised.....these days you just gotta keep
on movin'. Hang in there....who knows, maybe you could
find a job as a tester in a mattress factory? Best of luck!
New Too bad. Good hunting!
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New That sucks.
Good luck in what you do next.

You seem to be entering a rising market, so there should be plenty of opportunities for you.
----
"You don't have to be right - just use bolded upper case" - annon.
New Sorry to hear that
join the ranks of the uninstalled. It seems like IT people are disposible commodities this past year or two.

Human Resources is aptly named, they treat us like resources and not people.

"In order to completely solve a problem, you must make sure that the root of the problem is completely removed! If you leave the root, the problem will come back later to get you." - Norman King
New ICKY...
Guess I should just stay where I am rather than leave... :)

Good luck on a short uninstallment!!

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
In 2002, everyone will discover that everyone else is using linux. ** Linux: Good, fast AND cheap. ** Failure is not an option: It comes bundled with Windows. ** "Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know." - Sassan Tat
New Sympathies, joining the Mob on well-wishes.
New Damn, man! That sucks!

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Damn. Damn damn damn. Good luck
Any news on when the wife might be ready to find something new?
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
New The wife is fine. :)
She found a job a bit back, and it's worked out quite well for her. In fact, they're grooming her for management.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New So she's gonna be a suit?
Or would that be "a skirt"?
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
New But can she support you .....
in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Never mind, not funny.

Truly sorry to hear the news. Best of luck in finding something new.
When I visit the aquarium, the same thought keeps running through my mind;
Leemmmooonnn, Buuttteerrr, MMMmmmmmm good!
New My wife is supporting me
until I can find another job. We cut back on expenses, and are living off of what little savings we had. I have to eat penutbutter and jelly sandwiches, and other stuff that doesn't cost much. My cellphone is gone, I canceled digital cable, I didn't renew my computer magazines, I put off buying that Playstation 2 for Christmas, etc.

I hope I can find another job in a month or two. If not, I'll be applying for a job in a video store or inventory company.

"In order to completely solve a problem, you must make sure that the root of the problem is completely removed! If you leave the root, the problem will come back later to get you." - Norman King
New sux, good luck
My Dreams aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be
New rats. sorry to hear that. good luck on a situation upgrade..
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New May the Bird of Paradise
fly up your nose, clear out all the noxious odors of recent proximity to Evil.. and find you a site that reeks less.

Lighting candle,

Ashton
New Well, I've got a nibble...
[link|http://www.oz.net/~inthane/thejob.txt|Read all about it.]

I wouldn't exactly say it's the bird of Paradise, but it's a dev position (VB! Icky!) and it's entry level, AND it pays more than my current position.

I especially worry about this line: "Also no Microsoft haters please, I just don't have the time."

To be honest, my VB ain't THAT good - I'll have to install it and brush up.
New Go fer it
> I especially worry about this line:
>"Also no Microsoft haters please, I just don't have the time."

C'mon. You are straight from the belly of the beast.
You've already proven that you can deal with it.
And for a small development/support shop, they LOVE
M$ trash, because it ensures ongoing support $. So
let them pay you for a while. And do a slow education
on how much more money they can make, supplying the
same apps via a Linux/PostgreSQL platform.

Can you do the asp page he is describing?

It is now the 10th. You should have it done by Sunday,
and in his email 1st thing Monday. Immediately call with
a follow up.

Keep it simple. This sounds like 20 lines of code, if that.

Initialize ado object.
Issue simple sql select, like:
select count(product_id), sum(qty), sum(dollar_amt)
from north_wind_table_whatever
group by product_id
order by sum(qty) desc;

loop through the 1st 10, spitting them out.

If you feel fancy, add final totals, but keep
in mind that is NOT what he asked for, comment
the code to that effect.

Make sure you close the object.

Note: I've done NO ADO coding, so all this is
total bullshit, but I think it's how it should
work.

Comment well, but don't comment things like
'Open ADO object
ado.open(sdsdsd).

Redundant comments are annoying.

Comment based on business rules, ie: why the
code is here, and what results are expected.

Make sure you check for errors. Missing error
checking is the kiss of death, and a sure sign
of a novice worthless coder.

All the other questions are easily researched if you
don't already know.
New Go for it
I could do that in my sleep, but any job is better than no job. Just be glad that you don't have to work for lawyers.

ASP and VB programming does not taint your soul, much. Just make sure that you do not become a Microsoft Robot like I used to be before you guys wised me up. :)

New Gotta admit
a VB job is better than no job.

Don't get too good at it; I've seen several people get locked into VB applications and dang if they're going to be able to do anything else without going to another employer.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New Join the ranks of the VB Zombies
Apparently I am a VB Zombie, going from employer to employer looking for a new job. They only thing they are interested in are my VB and ASP skills. Can I write programs using Microsoft technologies, of course I can!

Learning/knowing Java and C++ would be good, but these jobs do not require them. :(

New I actually like the $MS line
Shows he doesnt have time for non-professionals. This is the job, I will tell you how I want it done, go forth and do it and I will pay you 50k.
thanx,
bill
My Dreams aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be
New I just got fired from a job like that
They tell me how they want it done, and then I do it. They always have last minute changes that slow things down, and then they ask me why it is taking so long? We only gave you 20 more changes to the program 15 minutes before it was due, why is it taking longer to get done?

Of course they also wonder why the other people they hired to do the job before had quit after being on the job for a short time. Getting rid of me was a mistake, because they cannot keep other people there for the job. At least I stayed there for four and a half years, unlike the short-timers.

New Hooray! It's not in Tacoma! :D
Sorry you got sideswiped, though. Ballmer I mean, Bummer. :(
---------------------------------
A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own ideas;...despair and time eat away the bonds of iron and steel, but they are powerless against the habitual union of ideas, they can only tighten it still more; and on the soft fibres of the brain is founded the unshakable base of the soundest of Empires."

Jacques Servan, 1767
New Can you drop some hints about the circumstances?
All this from a company sitting on $38 billion in cash. Makes ya wonder if they discovered who you REALLY are (an iwethey SPY!)
BConnors
"Prepare for metamorphosis. Ready, Kafka?"
New I think he fixed a Windows "bug" that was causing
Incompatibilities with non-M$ applications!

[thwack! thwack! "Repeat after me-It's not a bug if it doesn't affect M$ programs"]

Brian Bronson

New More than likely it was that he didn't brownnose enough
with the managers. That pretty much will do it when downsizing comes around or they tell the PHB managers "fire X people, or you get fired" so guess who they get rid of first? Those that are not their "friends". Plus the new guys almost always get it, unless they can screw someone out of a pension that has near five years with the company, or they got someone who they just donn't like for some reason. Since he was a new guy, they most likely didn't renew his contact or something.

New I was sabotaged.
Somebody walked in, wiped three weeks of work backed up across four seperate PC. I'd misunderstood my manager (there was a pretty severe language barrier) and was under the impression that I wasn't supposed to put it on the department server until it had been approved by him.

He was under the opposite impression.

You can see what came next.
New Basically they screwed you
sort of like my firm screwed me. You do exactly what they tell you to do, and then someone else does something to screw it up.

We had work on a development server and reports and applications that I spent three months working on got overwritten while I was out sick. Plus my workstation got reGhosted and I lost work files that I had stored on it. They didn't ask me or even tell me that my workstation would be reghosted. I told them I had important files on it anyway.

Another thing that happened was that my doctor notes went missing from my HR file. So my sick days, even though I made up the time, were counted against me on my review.

Basically they were out to get me after that, but I did what I could to try and stay there and work as best I could. But three weeks after I returned from my short-term disability, they got rid of me anyway. Someone did something and they blamed it on me. No proof, they just suspected me, which is good enough to fire someone without a good reason in the state of Missouri. They told me they would not contest unemployment, but they did anyway. Five weeks without unemployment so far, I was told by the state that I would be disqualified for five weeks. If I am not able to collect, I am going to a video store or some other place and apply for a low paying job.

New That second chance?
The outplacement consultant I've been working with came this close to calling it a scam. She says cases where the person getting the second chance end up keeping the job are pretty much unheard of. I did, a long time ago, but I changed jobs within the company and in the new job, I kicked ass. I also ended up under a different boss.

Basicaly, it gives the company time to get the documentation in order, and provides a nice thing to say to a jury, so that suing them is more difficult.

----
"You don't have to be right - just use bolded upper case" - annon.
     iwethey.employed-- - (inthane-chan) - (33)
         Gah. :-( -NT - (admin)
         gack - (Yendor)
         :( Sorry to hear. -NT - (Meerkat)
         Bummer - (tuberculosis)
         blah! - (slugbug)
         Too bad. Good hunting! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         That sucks. - (mhuber)
         Sorry to hear that - (nking)
         ICKY... - (folkert)
         Sympathies, joining the Mob on well-wishes. -NT - (CRConrad)
         Damn, man! That sucks! -NT - (imric)
         Damn. Damn damn damn. Good luck - (drewk) - (4)
             The wife is fine. :) - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                 So she's gonna be a suit? - (drewk)
                 But can she support you ..... - (Silverlock) - (1)
                     My wife is supporting me - (nking)
         sux, good luck -NT - (boxley)
         rats. sorry to hear that. good luck on a situation upgrade.. -NT - (cforde)
         May the Bird of Paradise - (Ashton) - (8)
             Well, I've got a nibble... - (inthane-chan) - (7)
                 Go fer it - (broomberg)
                 Go for it - (nking)
                 Gotta admit - (wharris2) - (1)
                     Join the ranks of the VB Zombies - (nking)
                 I actually like the $MS line - (boxley) - (1)
                     I just got fired from a job like that - (nking)
                 Hooray! It's not in Tacoma! :D - (tseliot)
         Can you drop some hints about the circumstances? - (bconnors) - (5)
             I think he fixed a Windows "bug" that was causing - (bbronson) - (1)
                 More than likely it was that he didn't brownnose enough - (nking)
             I was sabotaged. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                 Basically they screwed you - (nking) - (1)
                     That second chance? - (mhuber)

This random post brought to you by the letters A, Q, and Peter.
156 ms