IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Two answers
First, we don't have any big databases so mods aren't that tricky.

Huh?

We have the mother of all SOAs, each service keeps the data it wants any way it wants to. Some is in databases, some is in flat files, pickles, bdbs, whatever. Its not particularly normalized or anything - its totally optimized for speed - cache and hash is the order of the day. So schemas tend to be small and fairly simple - one to two dozen tables tops. Nine out of ten times you're hitting cache for stuff. The term "eventually consistent" gets used a lot.

We have elaborate automated build and deploy system that runs scripts at various phases - db alter scripts can be added as appropriate.

I don't know a lot more about it than that as I've pretty much been client focused.

When I do my own web based db apps, I have the Smalltalk objects automatically reshape to the database schema everytime I connect and I use the glorp ORM lib to map entities to objects and tables.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Collapse Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:47:35 PM EDT
Two answers
First, we don't have any big databases so mods aren't that tricky.

Huh?

We have the mother of all SOAs, each service keeps the data it wants any way it wants to. Some is in databases, some is in flat files, pickles, bdbs, whatever. Its not particularly normalized or anything - its totally optimized for speed - cache and hash is the order of the day. So schemas tend to be small and fairly simple - one to two dozen tables tops. Nine out of ten times you're hitting cache for stuff. The term "eventually consistent" gets used a lot.

We have elaborate automated build and deploy system that runs scripts at various phases - db alter scripts can be added as appropriate.

I don't know a lot more about it than that as I've pretty much been client focused.

When I do my own web based db apps, I have the Smalltalk objects automatically reshape to the database schema everytime I connect and I use the glorp ORM lib to map entities to objects and tables.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
     How do you manage database changes? - (admin) - (21)
         Re: How do you manage database changes? - (JimWeirich) - (11)
             Mind responding to some rails criticism? - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                 I would be interested to see... - (admin) - (8)
                     A Nested Comments Example - (JimWeirich) - (7)
                         Either one of us is missing something, or Rails is magic - (drewk) - (6)
                             I Missed Something - (JimWeirich) - (5)
                                 Adjacency trees are simple. - (admin) - (4)
                                     Re: Adjacency trees are simple. - (JimWeirich) - (3)
                                         The arbitrary SQL somewhat answers my question... - (admin)
                                         Not what he meant - (drewk) - (1)
                                             Re: Not what he meant - (JimWeirich)
                 Re: Mind responding to some rails criticism? - (JimWeirich)
         Weekly change scripts - (Yendor) - (3)
             We do something like that. - (static) - (2)
                 Oh, *that* process will scale well :-/ -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                     Tell me about it. - (static)
         We make them independent of code, and do them first - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             Automated or no? -NT - (admin) - (1)
                 No - (ben_tilly)
         Two answers - (tuberculosis)
         Re: How do you manage database changes? - (dws)

Void where prohibited.
46 ms