IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A law always has loopholes
It appears the music industry is within a strict interpretation of the law. Nothing says they must allow you to make the copy you are legally entitled to make.

Interestingly, a letter from Harvard University Law School Assistant Professor of Entrepreneurial Legal Studies Jon Zittrain, which appeared on the Politech mailing list, points out that while the CD copy-protection scheme may be damnable, it appears to be quite legal under the letter of the AHRA.

"The Audio Home Recording Act was drafted by the publishers," Zittrain notes. "I don't see how anyone reading it could readily find it to say that it prohibits private, technical copy protection schemes that, to be sure, trample copyright's balance."

The act "just says that the record companies can't sue over people making certain kinds of copies, not that they have to allow those copies to be made."

And he provides chapter and verse:

No action may be brought under this title alleging infringement of copyright based on the manufacture, importation, or distribution of a digital audio recording device, a digital audio recording medium, an analog recording device, or an analog recording medium, or based on the noncommercial use by a consumer of such a device or medium for making digital musical recordings or analog musical recordings.

And if that's the whole of it, then it would appear that the industry can't sue you for making copies for personal use, but they can make it as difficult for you to do so as they please.
-endquote

From the [link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/23587.html|Register], natch.
When I visit the aquarium, the same thought keeps running through my mind;
Leemmmooonnn, Buuttteerrr, MMMmmmmmm good!
New Loopy Laws
Well as long as people don't sell those copies and only use them for backup purposes, like keeping a copy if my 3 year old son desides to break a CD. I'll only allow him to touch the copies and keep the originals in a safe place.

Besides usually any copy protection is foiled by the pirates/hackers/crackers out there.

"In order to completely solve a problem, you must make sure that the root of the problem is completely removed! If you leave the root, the problem will come back later to get you." - Norman King
New So as usual,
Only the criminals will be able to make copies (fair use or otherwise). And we all know that they'll fight in court against any program designed to make it easy again (look at DVD and DeCSS).
~~~)-Steven----

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country..."

General George S. Patton
     Is CD copy protection illegal? - (marlowe) - (8)
         Yeee Haawh! - (Silverlock)
         Oh HELL yeah! - (admin) - (1)
             Whatever the law - (wharris2)
         Oh baby, yeah! - (nking) - (4)
             Er, Norm... - (Yendor) - (3)
                 A law always has loopholes - (Silverlock) - (2)
                     Loopy Laws - (nking) - (1)
                         So as usual, - (Steven A S)

It is just too confusing…
57 ms