IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It was not just a question of suing.
Suing for damages was never the issue. It was the unlimited punitive part that Edwards wanted badly for his trial lawyer friends. It's a cash cow. Medical professionals screw up and the lawyers reap rewards.

You need to remember that such costs eventually get passed directly or indirectly to the HMO consumers.

Alex
New unlimited damges is important bu not for lawyers
punitive damages are not for medical mistakes but knowingly cutting corners to make money. Denying benefits that are allowed under the contract. Not informing a patient of an allowed treatment just to make more money. Etc. Without unlimited damage say a cap at 500k the HMO says OK if I fsck with 2000 people, only get noticed 25 times, settle with 22 of them and pay the 500k cap and I can still make money. If you do not think they operate that way you would be wrong. Unlimited punitive damages are scary because if they get caught and go to trial without settlement they could be bankrupt. This is also part of the marketplace of Capitalism.
thanx,
bill
can I have my ones and zeros back?
New Re: important for lawyers - "Progress Through Litigation".
PTL - it has a ring to it. Look, these guys get 40% of the judgement amount. Maybe that needs to be capped. These are wasted medical care dollars. As is, the medical community has a lot of wasteful CYA paperwork and tests.

The problem is that often the juries award huge amounts, out of proportion to actual damages, that the HMO subscribers wind up eventually paying. If this was Sears or General Electric, I would agree with you 100%. But a relationship you have with an HMO, especially if your employer doesn't give you a choice, may be different. To a degree they're in the boat with you. We need better ways to make them act responsibly.

How about a death penalty for the individual(s) responsible for a any policy or practice that results in the avoidable death of a patient. And, similar proportionate jail time penalties for medical injuries. Of course, damages would still have to be paid for.
Alex
New if yer gonna cap cap the contingency percentage
no problem there.
thanx,
bill
can I have my ones and zeros back?
     Florida vote counting revisited. - (a6l6e6x) - (48)
         err you are confused - (boxley) - (3)
             Interesting.. - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                 Re: Interesting.. - (jp)
                 nope all amil was shipped via mil transpo - (boxley)
         And more. - (mmoffitt) - (43)
             I love this stuff... - (bepatient) - (29)
                 Um... - (Simon_Jester) - (26)
                     Speaking of lost... - (addison) - (25)
                         Well, I will admit '96 was better than '92... - (Simon_Jester) - (24)
                             I'm still lost. - (addison) - (22)
                                 Where there was disputes back in '92? - (Simon_Jester) - (21)
                                     I don't see that as the same thing. - (addison) - (16)
                                         Okay, I'm lost now... - (Simon_Jester) - (15)
                                             Don't get eaten by a grue. - (addison) - (6)
                                                 Slow down there pilgrim... :-) - (Simon_Jester) - (5)
                                                     Re: Slow down there pilgrim... :-) - (addison) - (4)
                                                         Okay...point by point... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                                                             Back to the main point - (addison) - (2)
                                                                 You're right.... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                                                     Thanks. - (addison)
                                             Still a difference - (drewk) - (7)
                                                 the votes dont matter anyway in Florida - (boxley) - (6)
                                                     That is the real issue. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                         Well I like the current system sorta - (boxley) - (4)
                                                             I don't think the Justices could be impeached. - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                                                 that is the only way you can get rid of them - (boxley)
                                                             "3 votes per" - spoken like true Alaskan. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                                                 50*3+14DC!/2 :) -NT - (boxley)
                                     Re: Where there was disputes back in '92? - (Fearless Freep) - (3)
                                         Which I find interesting... - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                             In Both - (Steve Lowe)
                                             Re: Which I find interesting... - (rsf)
                             That'd be a first! - (mmoffitt)
                 "the Dems are going to spend the next 3 years stuck in y2k" - (DonRichards)
                 Re: I love this stuff... - (a6l6e6x)
             Slightly OT Gore is coming back - (boxley) - (12)
                 Geez Bill, John Edwards is just another Clinton. - (a6l6e6x) - (11)
                     Silly question... - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                         It was not just a question of suing. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                             unlimited damges is important bu not for lawyers - (boxley) - (2)
                                 Re: important for lawyers - "Progress Through Litigation". - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                     if yer gonna cap cap the contingency percentage - (boxley)
                     Silly question... - (Simon_Jester)
                     He is on the right side of privacy on the net - (boxley) - (1)
                         Re: Privacy on the net -- Yep, not all bad. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                     Why is my constitutional right - (boxley) - (2)
                         See my comment to Jester, above. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                             I'd rather look like a patient. -NT - (mmoffitt)

He is very comfortable with his feet.
125 ms