IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New LVM question
I was under the impression that RAID functionality was part of LVM and I should be able to setup mirrors to other disks using it.

But then various web reading leaves me to believe I might have to deal with the md driver at the same time.

I'm a bit confused.

Can someone point me to instructions on adding a mirror to an already created root partition, or tell me it can't be done so I can stop wasting my time.
New Lesson of the day
Don't:
#1 - Create an LVM root paritition on a single disk
#2 - Create a 3 disk md RAID5 set.
#3 - Add that set to the volume group.
#4 - attempt to remove the original disk holding the root partition, hoping for a clean migration.

Hard hang.
On reboot, drops be to busybox shell with LVM error messages.

Oh well.

New dont put root partition in any LVM
if the disk scheme fails so does root. If root fails you pop in a cd or netboot and restore.
thanx,
bill
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     Kubuntu setup - (broomberg) - (4)
         LVM question - (broomberg) - (2)
             Lesson of the day - (broomberg) - (1)
                 dont put root partition in any LVM - (boxley)
         Dupe - ignore - (broomberg)

GOPHERS, not GOLFERS!
56 ms