IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Color of magic is one of his earliest and weakest
should be a better book or two - Small Gods remains my fave.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:40:55 AM EDT
New The smartarse style gets on my pecs.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New 'Pyramids' is the one usually recommended to newcomers.
'Guards! Guards!' is also a good starting point.

Wade.
"Insert crowbar. Apply force."
New Monstrous Regiment is one of my favs
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Not by me. I recommend Small Gods first.
Unless I suspect that the person would like a different variant of Pratchett, in which case I might recommend something like Lords and Ladies.

Not that Pyramids is bad - quite the contrary in fact - but it isn't my favorite.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Lords and Ladies was my favourite for a long time.
I was going to post that I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for someone interested in sampling the series, but now that I think about it, it is one of the very best ones, showcasing his style very well. It's just that it's sorta a sequel to Witches Abroad.

Pyramids is widely considered a good introduction to the series. It's typical of many of the later books without relying on characters that have been around before. It also has scenes like the test in the Assassin's Guild. Small Gods is a good standalone book if you think the person may not read any others anyway.

The Truth is also possibly a good starting point, except that so much of what makes it good is a) what someone tries *again* (i.e. knock off Vetinari) and b) what is now being allowed from that book forward (i.e. movable printing).

Wade.
"Insert crowbar. Apply force."
New Depends on mood, day, etc; just read them all... easier.
New Must___conserve.
Have taken a break, acquiring the lot.. Can't tell how long the National Madness shall persist; dare not run out of TP before, at least the impeachments begin.

Top 20 geek novels - (Silverlock) - (48)
         Wow. - (Yendor) - (1)
             I own 8 of them. - (pwhysall)
         I'm missing 10, 12, 19, and 20 -NT - (hnick)
         I've read 14 of them. - (inthane-chan)
         read all but #19 but where is tolkien? -NT - (boxley)
         I have all but 10, 12, 17, 20. - (admin) - (2)
             put American Gods onto your list -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 Ditto -NT - (tuberculosis)
         I may have read one of them - two on the outside . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             Believe me when I say this Andrew - (Silverlock)
         5 / 20 read here. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Re: 5 / 20 read here. - (Nightowl)
         10 out of 20. - (broomberg)
         So then I'm 90 % geek - haven't read 17 & 20. (AFAICT.) - (CRConrad) - (3)
             not so much geekiness as reading nut, 5-7 books a week - (boxley) - (2)
                 Mailer as in Norman? -NT - (Silverlock) - (1)
                     yup nogrok any of his stuff since the utah execution book -NT - (boxley)
         I havent read any of them - (bionerd) - (10)
             You must read #1 - (jbrabeck) - (9)
                 No, no. She (and you) must read #2. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                     Right now I'm re-reading all my psychotherapy texts. - (bionerd) - (6)
                         You'll do great. 1984 can wait, so to speak. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                         as long as the do no harm mantra is there you'll be alright - (boxley)
                         You can practice on me - (imqwerky) - (1)
                             Yeah, I'll be okay. - (bionerd)
                         I like that prayer. - (Silverlock) - (1)
                             Thanks. I use that prayer on my kids, too! -NT - (bionerd)
                 Re: You must read #1 - (Yendor)
         Missing 11, 12, 14, 16, 18, 19, 20 - (tuberculosis)
         Re: Top 20 geek novels - (Moriarty)
         Read 7 of the 20 - (bepatient)
         6/20 - (imqwerky)
         The Tolkein complaint - (Silverlock)
         3 by Neal Stephenson made it on the list??? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             I thought that was a bit much myself -NT - (imqwerky) - (1)
                 Ditto. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Kinda mixed-bag innit? - (Ashton) - (10)
             PKD is too goddamn depressing - (broomberg) - (1)
                 (author not responsible for assigned prison planet) -NT - (Ashton)
             Color of magic is one of his earliest and weakest - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                 The smartarse style gets on my pecs. -NT - (pwhysall)
                 'Pyramids' is the one usually recommended to newcomers. - (static) - (5)
                     Monstrous Regiment is one of my favs -NT - (boxley)
                     Not by me. I recommend Small Gods first. - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                         Lords and Ladies was my favourite for a long time. - (static) - (2)
                             Depends on mood, day, etc; just read them all... easier. -NT - (hnick) - (1)
                                 Must___conserve. - (Ashton)
         I've read 1,3,9,10,15, - (Meerkat)

Prolly need to go back for "reeducation"...
76 ms