IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Make it a web application. :-)
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Would need a server for that.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New Trivial. Lots of frameworks build one right in.
For instance [link|http://catalyst.perl.org/|catalyst] does.

You can even write a Perl script that will launch a webserver process, then make a system call to bring up your browser pointing at a web page from the webserver. Once that framework is all set up, then the rest of it is a web application. To complete the picture, install all of the software (including Perl) to a network drive and people can use your program after installing 1 dll on their machine. (perlcrt.dll - might not be required any more, but it was when I last needed to care about this.)

I'm not saying that this is a particularly good solution. But it lets you work without having to learn a GUI toolkit if you don't want to.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New It's not the software, silly.
It's the hardware. A production server needs care, feeding and attention. It needs backing up. It needs management approval. Etc. Etc.

I'm unlikely to get sympathy from The Boss for a request along the lines of "I want to present a very simple interface for an application that only 6 people will ever use, please can I have a web server and all the concomitant IT shenanigans?"

Peter
New I can't do anything about your corporate politics
Technically, providing a webserver is trivial. Providing a webserver that can only be accessed from the machine that it is being run on is somewhat harder, but is still not that difficult. There is no more difficulty installing this than there is any other stand-alone program.

However if saying that you've done so causes people to freak out, then it is a non-starter.

That's OK, it was somewhat of an only halfway serious joke suggestion anyways. A joke because for what you want to do, it isn't a good way of going about things. But halfway serious in that a lot of things which have no real point being web applications are made into web applications these days because lazy people want to avoid having to write a real GUI and rollout software when they don't have to.

Certainly at work we reflexively write things as web applications because that is just easier to do.

Cheers,
Ben
New what please may I, etc comes in to it.
download Resin start it up listening on port 80, deny that its a web server, its a gui based listener for your sysadmin needs, like snmp but prettier.
thanx,
bill
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New If you're gonna do that, seaside/squeak is even easier
Why write in java if you don't have to?

I have a bunch of little seaside apps running at work. If I have to write the thing, that's what I use. I deploy them to an integration node our team owns and link them from wiki pages. Nobody knows there's smalltalk running and nobody really cares. These things tend to stay up without any kind of attention at all forever (8 months one of them is now running non-stop).

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:41:03 AM EDT
New How did you get from Perl to Java???
New Todd forgot that left turn at Albuquerque.
New He's got a kind of co-dependency thing going on, I think...
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New I think I'll just let folks wallow in their ignorance
from here on out.

Clearly I have nothing to contribute.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:37:41 PM EDT
New Please don't. Wallowing gets old.
New Resin is primarily used as a servlet container
That's what its *for* afaict.

can it do perl too?

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:37:33 PM EDT
New Ah. I see.
New just write a 2 line servlet to go do perl
just like WalkThisMibToMyPerlScript in snmp. Just a listener. Prolly put a bind on a port with perl directly for that matter.
thanx,
bill
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Might as well install apache/mason
Then it will really be two lines.

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:38:32 PM EDT
New WTF?
SmallTalk is even more syntactically bizarre than Java, (which is also out of the question), and, like Java, is very noticeably Not Perl, with which all this logic has already been implemented.

Now, does a non-Tk GUI toolkit exist that has the vital property of being idiotically simple to use?

Peter
New I wouldn't know since I haven't needed that
But the ones that I glanced at didn't look idiotically simple to use.

Cheers,
Ben
New What GUI toolkit do you know?
None of them seem idiotically simple to use, but I'm guessing these are command line utilities and you just want a GUI to configure arguments and display results nicely.

You can use any GUI toolkit you know how to use and interact with your perl programs via the equivalent of "system".

If you want a web solution and will stick with perl look at mason.
If you know VB and its windows, use that and whatever command line exec capability it has.
If you want cross platform basic, try RealBasic.
Use Squeak and call your perl via OSProcess - either the Squeak GUI or Seaside web gui.
Use Cocoa and use NSTask if its a Mac.
Use bloody Java and Swing with System.exec()

Fronting command line tools is easy and similar facilities exist in any language - pick one that has a GUI api you can handle.

Sheesh.

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:38:27 PM EDT
New Been there, that's why I used wxPerl
So, let's get off this silly war of various people waving their tech credentials around and telling you how easily you can do what you want to, using their solution, which is a non-starter due to your environmental / network / admin limitations, which were just like mine.

What do your scripts do, what type of arguments to they take, what kind of output will they produce?
     Perl GUI programming for a complete idiot - (pwhysall) - (26)
         Perl/Tk - (altmann) - (5)
             That's fearfully ugly. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                 Maybe wxPerl. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     I've used it. - (broomberg) - (2)
                         I want it really simple - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             Sounds like you need some Tiles - (tonytib)
         Make it a web application. :-) -NT - (ben_tilly) - (19)
             Would need a server for that. -NT - (pwhysall) - (18)
                 Trivial. Lots of frameworks build one right in. - (ben_tilly) - (17)
                     It's not the software, silly. - (pwhysall) - (16)
                         I can't do anything about your corporate politics - (ben_tilly)
                         what please may I, etc comes in to it. - (boxley) - (13)
                             If you're gonna do that, seaside/squeak is even easier - (tuberculosis) - (12)
                                 How did you get from Perl to Java??? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                                     Todd forgot that left turn at Albuquerque. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     He's got a kind of co-dependency thing going on, I think... -NT - (admin) - (2)
                                         I think I'll just let folks wallow in their ignorance - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                             Please don't. Wallowing gets old. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     Resin is primarily used as a servlet container - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                         Ah. I see. -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                         just write a 2 line servlet to go do perl - (boxley) - (1)
                                             Might as well install apache/mason - (tuberculosis)
                                 WTF? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                     I wouldn't know since I haven't needed that - (ben_tilly)
                                     What GUI toolkit do you know? - (tuberculosis)
                         Been there, that's why I used wxPerl - (broomberg)

According to one source, the average British driver will let rip 912 pints of fart during their lifetime.
179 ms