IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The crate method is the current recommendation.
But how old is she? She sounds like she's about 18 months old: she's not a puppy anymore so training will take quite a bit longer.

The crate works because dogs hate being ignored. That's clearly not going to work with the food stealing, but if she's doing other attention seeking activity then ignoring her will eventually make her cease that. A distraction also works.

About the food-stealing - if she steals quick, but eats slow, you could also get into the habit of taking it back off her (even if only to throw it away). Yes, this will mean forcing her jaw open and putting your fingers in her mouth. You'd be basically denying her the fruits of her theft, which will also eventually teach her not to steal, though it will initially teach not to get caught. :-)

Given food, some dogs will continue to eat until they physically cannot eat anymore. Yes, that means they will eat themselves sick. It sounds like your dog is like that. That should actually help training because it means she's very food-oriented. Get some dog treats (like beef-liver treats from your pet store or cheese fragments) and use them to reward good behaviour. Such as not jumping up onto the table. Only give her a piece she can almost swallow straight away; if it takes too long to eat the treat, that becomes a distraction in itself. You will have to train your kids as to when they can and when they cannot give her treats. That should initially mean they don't give her treats for several weeks - just you. That will also re-inforce in your dog's mind that you are in charge, even over your kids.

Note that all this teaching will take a minimum of a month to take effect - and that's with a puppy! You will also have to train yourself to be consistent. Only by us being consistent and persistent does our puppy now try to ask to be let out to pee. And she usually goes outside, now, too.

Wade, who could go on a lot more about puppy training...
"Insert crowbar. Apply force."
New Excellent advice.
New Why's the next-to-last paragraph so familiar?We have no dog.
New dog trainers
my brother-in-law was over a few months ago with his 2 year old dalmation. He was lamenting how unruly the dog could be. He suggested that maybe a dog tainer could shape the dog up. I explained to him that dog trainers don't train dogs--they train the owners. The owners train their dogs. He, ah, didn't seem to like that. My impression was that he wanted to make his dog's behaviour problems someone else's problem. There's a lesson in there....
Have fun,
Carl Forde
     Give me patience - (bionerd) - (41)
         Beat them, and call it a regime change - (pwhysall)
         I only have Patients - (bepatient)
         How many kids do you have? - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
             How are kids like coathangers? - (ben_tilly)
         The universe will give you all the patience you need - (ben_tilly)
         Interesting quote on NPR - (broomberg)
         Don't ever ask for patience! - (imqwerky) - (14)
             Yeah, about that.. - (bionerd) - (13)
                 Sending you virtual Chicken soup. - (imqwerky)
                 I've got that too - (tuberculosis) - (10)
                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
                     Hope you feel better - (bionerd) - (5)
                         Peak, shmeak - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                             Peak, shmeak? -NT - (bionerd)
                             Who does the feeling? - (imqwerky) - (2)
                                 I wouldnt call him a shithead if I were you - (bionerd) - (1)
                                     Ok, how about PhlegmPhace? -NT - (imqwerky)
                     Healing thoughts your way - (imqwerky)
                     Pile On! - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         I am suspcious about that - (tuberculosis)
                 ICLRPD (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
         Hang in there - (Nightowl)
         line'm up 'n knock'm down - (cforde) - (18)
             Oh, you dont understand this dog. - (bionerd) - (17)
                 squirt gun at the table -NT - (boxley) - (6)
                     2nd this approach - (bepatient)
                     Tried that. - (bionerd) - (4)
                         Too lazy to branch but real suggestion.. - (hnick) - (3)
                             Good advice. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 My dog knows - (bepatient)
                             ICLRPD (new thread) - (ben_tilly)
                 Another fscking suggestion - (imqwerky) - (5)
                     yabbut what does she do with the dog? -NT - (boxley)
                     2nd that - (cforde) - (3)
                         Hey you! - (bionerd) - (2)
                             You're misdirecting your resources. - (Andrew Grygus)
                             executive summary - (cforde)
                 The crate method is the current recommendation. - (static) - (3)
                     Excellent advice. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Why's the next-to-last paragraph so familiar?We have no dog. -NT - (CRConrad)
                     dog trainers - (cforde)

It's only Monday, and that is already the dumbest question of the week.
141 ms