IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'm about to do the unthinkable.
I'm about to propose a migration from LDAP/Novell to Active Directory. We're running an older Novell version (5?) and the political will to pay to update it to a newer version is Just Not There, at least not at this time.

We have ~1k machines on campus, running 2000 or XP depending on the age of the box. Current software install procedure is to run to each computer manually and install the software. Microsoft has a passable software management product included with AD that, while far from perfect, is miles above what we have now, and could be implemented without any additional funds as we already have the servers and licenses.

I don't see another way out of this right now, and by doing this for now, we can free up the resources to move SAMBA in (which as near as I can tell, doesn't support 200/XP style group policy, only NT 4.0 GP) and eventually roll out some Linux desktops.

If anybody has any better suggestions that don't involve spending money, I'm all ears.
When somebody asks you to trade your freedom for security, it isn't your security they're talking about.
New VNC instead of running around manually
mickeysoft remote updates are gnarley
thanx,
bill
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New VNC doesn't solve the issue.
I've done AD-based MSI rollouts without a hitch for years. Updating 1000 computers every three months is a bitch, whether it be direct or via VNC.
When somebody asks you to trade your freedom for security, it isn't your security they're talking about.
New forgot your windows experience, makes sense to move to AD
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New What is the included tool?
We are using are full blown installation of SMS for which I have no idea of the cost but it seems to work quite well.
-----------------------------------------
No new taxes.
--George H. W. Bush

We don't torture.
--George W. Bush
New MSI packages combined with Group Policy via AD.
New Ignorant question
If it's a Novell network, can't you use Zen? Unless I'm misunderstanding the issue.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Zen is not included in the package we bought.
Currently, there is no political will to spend $ on just about anything.
New Spend it now, or spend it later
Active Directory increases lockin and will result in more money spent down the road.

I'm sure you know that, but repeating it might not be a bad thing.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New What. He. Said.
-----------------------------------------
No new taxes.
--George H. W. Bush

We don't torture.
--George W. Bush
New Believe me, I Agree.
The question isn't "do I think this is a bad idea" - It's "Do I use what we have, or nothing at all?"
     I'm about to do the unthinkable. - (inthane-chan) - (10)
         VNC instead of running around manually - (boxley) - (2)
             VNC doesn't solve the issue. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 forgot your windows experience, makes sense to move to AD -NT - (boxley)
         What is the included tool? - (Silverlock) - (1)
             MSI packages combined with Group Policy via AD. -NT - (inthane-chan)
         Ignorant question - (drewk) - (4)
             Zen is not included in the package we bought. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                 Spend it now, or spend it later - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                     What. He. Said. -NT - (Silverlock) - (1)
                         Believe me, I Agree. - (inthane-chan)

Your entire eulogy was just your bartender telling a coroner, "Yeah, I think that's Britney."
103 ms