IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Still a difference
Clinton was not accused of stealing the election. People questioned whether they wanted him as president, but they did not question whether he had actually won according to the rules in place at the time. The current accusations are that Bush didn't actually win the election, but that voting irregularities and political pressure all the way up to the Supreme Court helped install a pretender to the presidency.

Had Clinton's opponenets succeeded in their aims, he would have been removed from office. If Bush's opponents are successful, his presidency could theoretically be declared to have never been valid. The implications for what to do about irreversible policy decisions (Tax refund checks are going out soon, etc.) and international relations (Kyoto Accord, etc.) are vast and unknown. There is not, that I'm aware of, any existing law governing what to do if a president's term is declared to have been invalid. Would all legislation he signed become null and void? Would any decisions regarding pardons/clemency be reversed? There is no precedent.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New the votes dont matter anyway in Florida
because the legislature would have sent their own slate of electors if the USSC had not stepped in. They cant overturn an election but they could impeach GB and Cheney then Denny Hastert then Colin Powell then Dachle can have the job. Dont think that is going to happen any time soon.
Having said that the votes dont matter I think there should be investigations into some of the allegations and charges filed if warranted.
thanx,
bill
can I have my ones and zeros back?
New That is the real issue.
That popular votes don't count. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say explicitly that we have a "right to vote for the President". That idea is, as is the "right to privacy", a right which most Americans (and most legal decisions) have inferred from what is in the Constitution.

We owe a "democratically elected President" to Andrew Jackson. Since his time, the principle that our Presidents should be elected democratically has been a widely held one. Various laws have been passed to fortify that notion.

If you believe in democracy, then the illegitimacy of Resident Bush and (to borrow from Bugliosi) the "criminality" of the current USSC is crystal clear and without question. If, on the other hand, you don't believe in democracy, then you cannot understand what all the fuss over the last election is.

Believe it or not, I am on the fence. At times I fervently agree with Hamilton, that "the masses are asses" and yet, so many have sacrificed so much so that we can decide who our President is via a democractic vote, it is sad to me that a USSC could rip that away and so many be content to sit idlely by and let it happen with no apparent thought about what has been lost.

The willingness by some (read Republicans and the popular media) to give up a right so dear to so many without a whimper should not come as a surprise, I suppose. In an age where Reagan babies have grown up to trust corporations more than they do their democratically elected representatives or even their neighbors, where the absolutely idiotic notion that "government should be run like a business" is often embraced, where so many prefer "virtual reality" to the genuine article, anything is possible.

bcnu,
Mikem
New Well I like the current system sorta
and the Legislature could impeach the Justices over this issue. I am no fan of the current crop of Justices. The overhaul of how votes are collected and counted with a view towards streamlining and accountability is highly in order.
I like the electoral system but would like a 3 votes per state electoral college so the wannabees will have to adress the national needs not just California, New York and Florida.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New I don't think the Justices could be impeached.
I don't remember anything in the Constitution about it. Presidents, sure, but Justices? Besides, who's be Judge at the trial?

I know there's a move afoot to 'impeach' the Justices, but I consider it as well planned as the move to oust McCain.
Stainless steel traps breed stainless steel rats.
New that is the only way you can get rid of them
Has happened only once before for a single Judge in the 1800's(Vague memory)Alcee Hastings one of our congress critters is an impeached federal judge.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New "3 votes per" - spoken like true Alaskan. :)
Alex

This is my sig. There's another almost like it, but this one is mine.
New 50*3+14DC!/2 :)
Chuck Palahniuk
     Florida vote counting revisited. - (a6l6e6x) - (48)
         err you are confused - (boxley) - (3)
             Interesting.. - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                 Re: Interesting.. - (jp)
                 nope all amil was shipped via mil transpo - (boxley)
         And more. - (mmoffitt) - (43)
             I love this stuff... - (bepatient) - (29)
                 Um... - (Simon_Jester) - (26)
                     Speaking of lost... - (addison) - (25)
                         Well, I will admit '96 was better than '92... - (Simon_Jester) - (24)
                             I'm still lost. - (addison) - (22)
                                 Where there was disputes back in '92? - (Simon_Jester) - (21)
                                     I don't see that as the same thing. - (addison) - (16)
                                         Okay, I'm lost now... - (Simon_Jester) - (15)
                                             Don't get eaten by a grue. - (addison) - (6)
                                                 Slow down there pilgrim... :-) - (Simon_Jester) - (5)
                                                     Re: Slow down there pilgrim... :-) - (addison) - (4)
                                                         Okay...point by point... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                                                             Back to the main point - (addison) - (2)
                                                                 You're right.... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                                                     Thanks. - (addison)
                                             Still a difference - (drewk) - (7)
                                                 the votes dont matter anyway in Florida - (boxley) - (6)
                                                     That is the real issue. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                         Well I like the current system sorta - (boxley) - (4)
                                                             I don't think the Justices could be impeached. - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                                                 that is the only way you can get rid of them - (boxley)
                                                             "3 votes per" - spoken like true Alaskan. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                                                 50*3+14DC!/2 :) -NT - (boxley)
                                     Re: Where there was disputes back in '92? - (Fearless Freep) - (3)
                                         Which I find interesting... - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                             In Both - (Steve Lowe)
                                             Re: Which I find interesting... - (rsf)
                             That'd be a first! - (mmoffitt)
                 "the Dems are going to spend the next 3 years stuck in y2k" - (DonRichards)
                 Re: I love this stuff... - (a6l6e6x)
             Slightly OT Gore is coming back - (boxley) - (12)
                 Geez Bill, John Edwards is just another Clinton. - (a6l6e6x) - (11)
                     Silly question... - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                         It was not just a question of suing. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                             unlimited damges is important bu not for lawyers - (boxley) - (2)
                                 Re: important for lawyers - "Progress Through Litigation". - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                     if yer gonna cap cap the contingency percentage - (boxley)
                     Silly question... - (Simon_Jester)
                     He is on the right side of privacy on the net - (boxley) - (1)
                         Re: Privacy on the net -- Yep, not all bad. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                     Why is my constitutional right - (boxley) - (2)
                         See my comment to Jester, above. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                             I'd rather look like a patient. -NT - (mmoffitt)

Smoke the pipe, and there will be no lies between us.
167 ms