IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Perpetual Motion machine is granted a patent
[link|http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/11/1111_051111_junk_patent.html|Antigravity Machine Patent Draws Physicists' Ire]

A perpetual-motion machine may defy the laws of physics, but an Indiana inventor recently succeeded in having one patented.

On November 1 Boris Volfson of Huntington, Indiana, received U.S. Patent 6,960,975 for his design of an antigravity space vehicle.

Volfson's craft is theoretically powered by a superconductor shield that changes the space-time continuum in such a way that it defies gravity. The design effectively creates a perpetual-motion machine, which physicists consider an impossible device.
New Proof that the patent office is completely broken

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:05:16 AM EDT
New It is my understanding that . . .
. . patent office workers are rated on the number of patents approved, not the number reviewed. Now, given social Darwinism and all that just how do you think patent office workers maximize their career potential?

Fix that one thing and all else should follow.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I don't think that's right. More on the patent in question.
E.g. [link|http://showcase.monstertrak.monster.com/cgi-bin/new/showcase.pl?page=stu_show&emp_id=edlkcc|USPTO info at Monster]:

Can you describe a typical day at your firm? How might this differ from other organizations?

After the first year of training, examiners are on a production quota system in which, depending on grade level and complexity of the technology examined, they are given a certain amount of time to do an average application.

The initial patent application examination procedure generally consists of:

\ufffd reviewing the description of the invention to gain an understanding of what the invention is,
\ufffd checking the application for compliance with formalities,
\ufffd reading the claims so as to ascertain the scope of protection desired by applicant,
\ufffd conducting a search of the relevant documents such as U.S. and foreign patents and other published references such as textbooks, that either show the claimed invention wholly or in part, or that show the general state of the art, and
\ufffd writing an official paper expressing the PTO\ufffds initial opinion on the patentability of the claimed invention.

Once the official paper has been mailed (generally to applicant\ufffds patent attorney), the applicant has a period of time to respond or else the application becomes abandoned. Upon receiving the applicant\ufffds response, the examiner has one or two months in which to review it and either repeat the original rejection, make a new rejection of the claims as being unpatentable, or else allowing the claims so that the application becomes a patent.

Depending on the examiner\ufffds experience, grade level and training, the above procedures are carried out with a varying degree of supervision. Senior examiner\ufffds work typically only receives cursory review, if any, as they have been delegated the authority to make final decisions on patentability.

They're rated on lack of errors, efficiency, etc., not on how many patents they grant.

Another view is [link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2005/05/05/DI2005050501046.html|here] - search for "patent" about 5/8 of the way down.

Also, [link|http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,960,975.WKU.&OS=PN/6,960,975&RS=PN/6,960,975|the patent in question] isn't very long. It cites 5 earlier patents by others and doesn't say anything about perpetual motion. It may be bogus (I think it is), but it's not as obviously bogus as [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=174233|some things I've heard about].

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Einstein has left the building
Have whatever values you have. That's what America is for.
You don't need George Bush for that.
New Not just Einstein
Apparently, anybody with a functioning brain has left the building.

And have been replaced with Der Berk's Anti-Science Army.

I'm expecting abstinence to receive a patent shortly. (With Haliburton receiving it, natch!)
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Well, there's no prior art...
...and If I can't license it, I won't use it!
[link|http://www.runningworks.com|
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New ROFL!
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Indiana...
Perpetual Motion and No Condoms!

"It's never too late to be who you might have been." ~ George Eliot
New And the women love it...
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New Hoosier Daddy!

"It's never too late to be who you might have been." ~ George Eliot
New +3 Eeuuuwwws

Perpetual Motion machine is granted a patent - (bluke) - (11)
         Proof that the patent office is completely broken -NT - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             It is my understanding that . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 I don't think that's right. More on the patent in question. - (Another Scott)
         Einstein has left the building -NT - (GBert) - (3)
             Not just Einstein - (jb4) - (2)
                 Well, there's no prior art... - (imric) - (1)
                     ROFL! -NT - (jb4)
         Indiana... - (imqwerky) - (3)
             And the women love it... -NT - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                 Hoosier Daddy! -NT - (imqwerky) - (1)
                     +3 Eeuuuwwws -NT - (Ashton)