IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Bulletproof web access on a PC? MacMini?
Is such a thing possible?

My mother is about 500 miles away. She's 67 and isn't as sharp as she used to be. She wants Internet access. She has a 900 MHz Athlon PC running some version of Windows (probably 98) that I gave her a few years ago. I'll be visiting her early next month. She's out in the sticks so I don't yet know what broadband access is available, nor whether it's worth the expense.

My concerns are that if I set something up for her, she'll end up breaking some bit of software and nothing will work within an hour after I leave.

Ideally, I'm sure she'd like Windows as that's what she has some experience with and she has some Win software that she plays with.

Is any PC OS yet suitable for this application? Being able to repair things remotely via dialup is a possibility, I suppose, but I assume most of the common broadband connections frown on allowing remote access to a home machine.

I think my options are:

1) Setup Winders with a bootable rescue CD that lets her reinstall everything if something goes wrong.
Pluses:
a) It's familiar and she can keep her old software.
b) It's Winders so it must be good.
c) Uses existing hardware, minimizes the cost.
Minuses:
a) I don't have a machine that I can build a rescue CD from that has her software.
b) Even reinstalling things might be beyond her abilities.
c) Once she's on the Internet, it'll probably be infected in short order (especially if it's on broadband).

2) Setup Mepis and try to lock it down so that she can't break anything.
Pluses:
a) It's more secure and easier to install.
b) Wine and/or Crossover Office and/or Win4Lin may let her run her existing Win programs.
c) Infection should be more difficult.
d) Uses the existing hardware, minimizing the cost.
Minuses:
a) If something does go wrong, I don't have enough knowledge to fix Mepis remotely (even if I could somehow connect to the machine - see above). But the CD would be right there to reinstall if necessary.
b) She may be convinced that it isn't Winders so it's not good enough and have someone "help" her reinstall Winders.

3) Get a MacMini and set it up so that she can use it with her PC monitor, mouse and keyboard with a KVM switch. She'd still have her PC software, but the Mac would be used for Internet access (web and e-mail is all I think she wants). (I suppose they could even be networked to some extent with an Ethernet crossover cable, but that would invite lots of mischief.) Unfortunately, the Mini uses a USB keyboard, so an adapter or USB KVM would be required. (Apple wants $129 ! for [link|http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=T5139LL/A|this] one.)

Pluses:
a) Relatively inexpensive new hardware, decent bundled applications.
b) More resistant to viruses than Winders.
c) Small footprint, unobtrusive.
Minuses:
a) Not Winders - she may not like it.
b) May need upgraded memory for reasonable performance.
c) Her existing PC software won't work, so additional new software may be needed driving up the final cost.
d) If she does something to the Internet software, I won't be able to fix it remotely. Reinstalling may be problematic.
e) Several hundred dollars.

There's Warp too, but that has issues as well - mainly it's too much like Winders so "helpful" people may try to do things with it and break it, and the fact that it's not Winders-software compatible.

We also have a StarMax 5000 with a 300 MHz G3, but it's running OS 9 and only has 160 MB of RAM (full up) so OS X isn't an option and it won't be useful for modern web surfing.

I'm dreading any decision because I figure there will be some way for her to break it. I'm leaning toward #3 but if there were some way to lock down her existing PC I'd be willing to try it (I really don't want to shell out $500-600+ for a new box if there's another reasonable way). Some questions:

1) Is there an expensive KVM that works with the Mini using either a USB KVM or adapters to a regular PS/2-style KVM?
2) What's the minimum configuration you would recommend for a box that you wouldn't want to touch for a year or more? Is 1.25 GHz/512 MB/40 GB - the [link|http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html|base machine] that comes with a modem - enough for Tiger?
3) What software would you recommend for web browsing (that takes a reasonable assortment of plugins) and e-mail? Antivirus? Spyware and rootkit blockers? Is Mail.app and Safari the way to go, or is Thunderbird and Firefox up to snuff for most uses now?
4) Is .mac worth the cost? Having a place where we could share files would be nice.
5) Spice - how are your folks in Mexico handling their Mac?

Any comments or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Give her a mepis CD in echange for her harddrive
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Mac stuff
Naturally, I'm inclined to recommend the Mac. Windows, these days, requires too much maintenance to recommend in what is basically a hands-off environment (as far as you're concerned; of course, if you wish to train your dear old mum in the weekly updating of antivirus (over dialup - ick), plus spyware doodads, plus Winders Update - all just to stay NORMAL, knock yerself out).

Anyway, here's some of your Mac points addressed. All in my humble, of course.
  1. Safari and Mail are what you want to use; Firefox and Thunderbird have integration issues. Plus, they're slower. Plus, they look different.

2. AV/Spyware software is irrelevant on a Mac. No, really; it is. You've been Windowsised!

3. The base machine will run Tiger and Safari/Mail quite cheerfully

4. You'll need a USB KVM, because the Mini has no PS/2 ports

5. The Mini is appallingly cute. I have one[0], and it's just the cutest thing ever.

6. Dunno about .mac; ask Rand or Todd.

7. Office can be obtained for the Mac (and very nice it is too); the very casual Word user may find Pages to be more approachable, and it's Word-compatible for simple work. And it's cheaper. Remember that the Mini comes with AppleWorks 6, which is not unpleasant to use, and exports Word files.
[0]The Graphite G4 is currently playing host to Mr Random Hard Lockup, and I wanted to get something to tide me over until the Intel PowerMacs come along. For about \ufffd350, I got me a Mini off the Bay of e.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
Expand Edited by pwhysall Nov. 13, 2005, 12:57:12 PM EST
Expand Edited by pwhysall Nov. 13, 2005, 12:58:35 PM EST
New Wholeheartedly Seconded.
Check out the refurbs on Apple's site, too. Deals to be had. Recommend 512M minimum RAM. My 12" iBook has 256M and, while usable, is sluggish.

.mac is worth it. My wife has an account. She puts up webpages with pictures and captions, shares files, backs up important files to her iDrive, and uses her mac.com email exclusively. If she can do that, anyone can :)
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
New Safari has its problems
At least in the version we have (haven't upgraded to Tiger yet).

At random points (once a week, maybe? I haven't been keeping track) Safari will start using Lots O' CPU (symptom is the fan on the Mini becomes audible). Shutting down Safari fixes this.

Come to think of it, though, every month or so I have to reboot the Mini due to it coming down with the Beach Ball Flu. Windows take forever to open, programs take forever to start or shutdown, and going to the login screen results in a fetching Dark Blue Screen O' Interminable Waiting with nary a login box to be seen. At this point I have to hard reboot.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New I like the iMacs
they take up very little space and you get a nice flat screen.

But if you have a monitor you want to reuse, then mini is good.

Tip: Qwest DSL has 'stay up' issues wrt to those awful little actiontech routers they provide you with. The things hang up every couple of weeks and require a power cycle. To solve this for my grandma, I bought one of those light timers like you use when you're out of the house - turns the lights on and off automatically. I have it power cycle the DSL modem daily - off at 4:00am on at 4:30.

.mac is a handy isp with some nifty disk sharing and web serving features (like you can just say "share photos to web" in iPhoto and it makes a web page). But if all you need is email, using your communication provider's isp is fine.

Word processing needs for most folks are handled by TextEdit.app. I prefer Safari (newest version is much better on leaks) but Firefox is available.

You have cron so you can autokill/relaunch stuff if you want to for more reliability.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:02:02 AM EDT
New I got my mom to buy a macmini when her PC gave up the ghost
and it's been much less of a headache for me. When she had windows, it was a constant RRR. I put her on Warp, which solved the problems with viruses etc trashing her system, but didn't help her too much when friends sent word documents as emails. The mac mini has helped a lot in terms of basic maintenance.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
     Bulletproof web access on a PC? MacMini? - (Another Scott) - (6)
         Give her a mepis CD in echange for her harddrive -NT - (boxley)
         Mac stuff - (pwhysall) - (2)
             Wholeheartedly Seconded. - (Steve Lowe)
             Safari has its problems - (admin)
         I like the iMacs - (tuberculosis)
         I got my mom to buy a macmini when her PC gave up the ghost - (jake123)