IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I have a few things I always do...

Mount Point == Device == SizeReasoning
/boot == /dev/[s|h]d[a-zz]1 == 200MB-300MBwhy not we have the space nowaday cheap. Plus it makes it easy to use that partition if you have multiple OS that have their own stuffs.
/ == /dev/[s|h]d[a-zz]2 == about 5% of disk"Rule of thumb" I use... and nearly always have it this way, sometimes less on a server.
swap == /dev/[s|h]d[a-zz]3 == ~2x memoryI continue to stick with this as it is cheap insurance to a good running machine, even @ 4GB it is still cheap and I have seen horrifics on both workstations and servers of a memroy starvation causing many more problems that the cost of Disk Space.
logical == /dev/[s|h]d[a-zz]4 == balance of disk(auto)#4 becomes the last primary partition containing all of the logical partitions, or #5-$MAX
/var == /dev/[s|h]d[a-zz]5 == 4GB-6GBMainly due to apt and its caching.
/usr == /dev/[s|h]d[a-zz]6 == 4GB-6GBMainly, most things are installed there, apps, man, doc, share...etc.
/tmp == /dev/[s|h]d[a-zz]7 == ~memory sizeIts from old school... to limit things from going astray... and protecting / from becomeing FULL.
Option 1: Rest on /home
/home == /dev/[s|h]d[a-zz]8 == balance of diskunless you want some on /usr/local/
Option 2: Some on /usr/local rest on /home
/usr/local == /dev/[s|h]d[a-zz]8 == What ever amount you wantmounted on /usr/local/ for stuff... (or /opt which isusually a symlink to /usr/local for me
/home == /dev/[s|h]d[a-zz]9 == balance of diskon /home

I don't know if you'll go to this length... but I have done it this way for eons (it seems) and it has never bitten me, except on a machine that had such a memory leak as to eat up all 32GB of memory and 64GB of Disk space in an 8 hour period... thereby forcing me to double the swap again, so we could schedule dumping all the apps recovering all the memory space (virtual and real) in the middle of the night when it was less impacting on the users. It never really had an effect until it ran out of memory (real and virtual). BTW that problem was on AIX 4.3.3 (some gawdawful patch level too)

Edit: Found a mistake in the options.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
Expand Edited by folkert Nov. 8, 2005, 10:01:09 PM EST
New Thanks, Greg!
+5, handy!
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Ditto on Greg's
I would have written essentially the same thing, except I like a non-home large area which I often call /data.

Or /lf/data, where lf stands for link farm which is often a jumping off point to a mass of symbolic links to mount points.
     Recommended partition sizes? - (cwbrenn) - (11)
         Re: Recommended partition sizes? - (pwhysall) - (7)
             Why have swap at all? - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                 Because running out of memory is a bad thing? -NT - (Yendor) - (4)
                     Mmmmm-kay? -NT - (admin)
                     If it is runaway, you're going to run out anyways - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         True, but... - (Yendor) - (1)
                             It was not a universal recommendation - (ben_tilly)
             4GB may not be enough - (JayMehaffey)
         I have a few things I always do... - (folkert) - (2)
             Thanks, Greg! - (jb4)
             Ditto on Greg's - (broomberg)

tilly remembers how to smell.
168 ms