Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Recommended partition sizes?
In 2005, for a regular desktop Linux box:

/ <-- 4GB
swap <-- 2x RAM, or thereabouts
/home <-- the rest of your disk.

Servers are a different matter, of course.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New Why have swap at all?
For many people's needs, it makes sense to buy a bit more RAM and not have swap.

A particularly nice advantage to this is that the occasional runaway program won't make your machine thrash nearly as long before it runs out of memory.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Because running out of memory is a bad thing?
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Mmmmm-kay?
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New If it is runaway, you're going to run out anyways
Having swap just means that you thrash for a good while first. Which adds lots of annoyance to your real problem.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New True, but...
...on my development box, I discovered the hard way that not having any swap was leading to significant slow-downs during my work day...Especially once I added VMWare into the mix (almost 300MB for that sucker right there.)

So I added a swap file (not a partition, since I built this system long ago.)

Things are still slow when I run out of RAM (1GB currently, with plans to upgrade to 2GB), but not nearly as bad as they used to be.

Swap space has allowed me to not have to spend money immediately on RAM for the price of a single 2GB file on my / partition.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New It was not a universal recommendation
I said For many people's needs for a reason. If buying enough RAM isn't in your budget, then swap certainly is useful.

Cheers,
Ben
New 4GB may not be enough
I just blew up my Debian system because my / was not big enough. I would put 1/5 to 1/4 of the system in / and the rest in /home.

A small swap partion just because it is faster then using a swap file and giving 1 or 2 gig for that isn't going to cost you anything.

Jay
     Recommended partition sizes? - (cwbrenn) - (11)
         Re: Recommended partition sizes? - (pwhysall) - (7)
             Why have swap at all? - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                 Because running out of memory is a bad thing? -NT - (Yendor) - (4)
                     Mmmmm-kay? -NT - (admin)
                     If it is runaway, you're going to run out anyways - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         True, but... - (Yendor) - (1)
                             It was not a universal recommendation - (ben_tilly)
             4GB may not be enough - (JayMehaffey)
         I have a few things I always do... - (folkert) - (2)
             Thanks, Greg! - (jb4)
             Ditto on Greg's - (broomberg)

Personally, I use pure auravedic grade ground hing, that way I know exactly what I'm getting.
81 ms