IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New OK then.. Nomination for Verger
* cf. The Verger, short story, part of Quartet, W. Somerset Maugham. I mean.. if there be Perlmonks -
we Needs a hierarchy too, less'n we wants ta be IWEThey-were.. un-Hip to th' dance.

See, it's like this -
I gots me a New (just nicely burned-in past infant mortality) soulless-Machine!
All ... thanks entirely to a Real non-gender-specific Sweetie\ufffd; none 'other' than Our very own Scott (er, K.)

{snorfle}

It is one (very fine) thing to pass on a nice clean box, one with no cola stains, roach burns or kick marks, (say, from whomping the fascia over some dumb standard Doze cockup..) yep, that's a Lot.

But it's quite a hearse of another pallor - when all the stuff is reloaded fresh, n'patched, tested for all manner of floating spores - - and

Wait!! There's More:
the sucker triple-boots into Ubuntu AND Mepis (plus its native Beastware version) !!
It speeds along faster than 1000 Megacycles/sec. 1000X my first CP/M. (And no vacuum tubes, even.)

So, natch I am Whelmed at such generosity of labour, along with all the rest.
Must. think. of a suitable means of retaliation, while exploring all the crannies.

Should I find that I Can.. (and also will) reformat enough CP/M neurons, free some grey-cells for adsorption of the /-lore AND retain enough \\-lore to get by on the Edsel systems too - - I can sorta imagine the day-o ~ ~

{swirly puce mist, small puffs of overheated Canola oil..}

when moi might help support...

The New Standard for Fully-Conscious Transcendental Geeks
(in all 11 dimensions):

Cthulhubuntu Linux

ie Thanks! Scott
(Read the story - ya might just like bein a Verger | rich: take yer pick ;-)

Ashton

PS: there's a magnificent '48 B&W [link|http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040335/| movie ] of the stories, which I recommend highly.. if it's available anywhere.
If it isn't? just another sign of decline in the Arts (too).
Expand Edited by Ashton Nov. 1, 2005, 05:22:44 PM EST
New [blush!] I'll put it on The List.
I enjoyed his "Of Human Bondage" quite a bit.

Contribute toward the great MEPIS versus Ubuntu Debate once you get a chance to play with them both a while.

I'm glad you can make use of it - it was mainly just taking up space and running [link|http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/team_display.php?teamid=679|E at H] for me since I got my Athlon64.

As for retaliation, well, I dunno. Unless you can send me about 3 weeks of free time so I can get caught up on my chores, your enjoyment is retaliation enough.

Have fun with it. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New I finished "Quartet" last night.
I enjoyed it very much. I found a first edition at Powells for $15. :-)

It is some excellent stories:

The Facts of Life

The Alien Corn

The Kite

The Colonel's Lady

No Verger though. That's [link|http://www.geocities.com/athens/olympus/7695/VERGER.HTM|here].

Thanks again for the pointer.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Oops..
In the Doubleday 2-vol Complete Short Stories - those are in vol II. Perhaps Mr. M did not do the groupings for Trio and Quartet, but someone else extirpated their favs..

(Imagine Alec Guinness as the Verger.. as incentive.)

Now that Kurt has left the play, I wonder how Maugham would write up recent events -- could that refined intellect and massive vocabulary ever be unleashed in a few suitably uncivil remarks, even?)

Mr. Know-All is also not to be missed.

Happy random selections.
It's All Good to coin a phrase

OK then.. Nomination for Verger - (Ashton) - (3)
         [blush!] I'll put it on The List. - (Another Scott)
         I finished "Quartet" last night. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Oops.. - (Ashton)

But it makes such great fish bait!
78 ms