IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Flu Shots - Good or Bad?
Work is offering free flu shots, trying to decide if its worth the hassle. Previous flu shots have left me feeling ill for a day or two.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Both
Bad: Guaranteed short-term mild illness.

Good: Possibly avoid long-term severe illness.

You're young and healthy enough that a real flu is unlikely to kill you. If you were elderly, that would be a real concern, tipping the balance towards having the flu shot.

You can do your own risk/benefit analysis from there.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New my understanding of flu shots are
they try to guess the variant of the virus that will go around this winter and create a live vaccine against it. If they guess wrong it doesnt do anything for you. I could be wrong.
thanx,
bill
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Had it last year, will get it this year too.
With oldsters in the house, we needed to be vaccinated to try to protect them. I didn't notice any ill effects in any of us who were vaccinated last year. I would say get it, especially since you work in a rather large organization (and are likely to be exposed to lots of people).

FWIW. Luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Good
For twentysomething years I never got the flu or at least never had any nasty symptoms. Then in 1999 and 2000 I got wallopped with whatever flu strains were going around. That was terrible. In 2001 the Ontario government introduced free flu shots and I got one at a "clinic" set up at work. My arm was sore for at least a week and I felt "funky" for about 3-4 days. Not ill, just kind of spaced out. I've gotten a flu shot every year since and those symptoms have reduced dramatically. I got my free shot last weekend. It took one day for slight arm soreness to show up and one day to go away. No "funky" business either.
lister
New OK I got it
and it was a big nothing so far - 28 hours later no soreness or funkiness - just - well - nothing.

Hope it works.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New good to know
Last time I got the flu shot I got just as sick as if I'd caught the flu. Hadn't had one since. Think I'll reconsider for this go around.
Darrell Spice, Jr.                      [link|http://spiceware.org/gallery/ArtisticOverpass|Artistic Overpass]\n[link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore
New Get mine Friday
Doc told me that since i have diabetes, i fall into the highr risk category so shoul dhave a flu shot every year. $25 here at work, though :/
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
New Perhaps your vaccine came from this guy:
A nurse hired by El Hawa alerted the FBI when he noticed other Hawa employees acting suspicious and using improper procedures for preparing the vaccines. The syringes authorities recovered are being tested. Preliminary results show they were filled with purified water.
[link|http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3428312|Link].

No pain, no gain! :)
Alex

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell
     Flu Shots - Good or Bad? - (tuberculosis) - (8)
         Both - (ben_tilly)
         my understanding of flu shots are - (boxley)
         Had it last year, will get it this year too. - (Another Scott)
         Good - (lister)
         OK I got it - (tuberculosis) - (3)
             good to know - (SpiceWare)
             Get mine Friday - (Steve Lowe)
             Perhaps your vaccine came from this guy: - (a6l6e6x)

And from the spring collection, tablizer is wearing a simple three-table combination here, which offsets the index tables beautifully, whilst still preserving the relationships.
60 ms