IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sidenote
most of the arguments on this are based on the fact that most code isn't adaptable to the bracing style the individual prefers.

BUt i was using (god, can't remember the name now....) jalopy with Java and multiple programmers. I prefer White style, one prefers K&R, etc. Get the code, run it through jalopy, update the changes, push it back to the "standard style" and be done.

My only other comment is that certain language features (anonymous classes in Java for one) seem to favor certain bracket styles (K&R).
New Automate that Jalopy
CVS allows you to run processes (like, say, Jalopy) when checking code in. Set this process up, create a team-agreed-upon standard style of formatting code, and then whenever you check code in, it will automatically be reformatted to project standards, no matter how it was coded.

If you'd like to know the steps to do this, I'll go look up the reference I used to get it done for our project a few months back. Let me know.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New That's okay...
  1. We're on ClearCase (employer required) -- ClearCase does allow for scripts to run on check-in also
  2. That project was a while ago...onto other things. <shrug>
New np
Every company is different, and we've all got our own unique requirements.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Yes, that's a PBP recommend :-)
The Perl equivalent is perltidy.

Formatting each to his own style is great for shared source code. But somehow it seems that people wind up seeing the default format more often than you'd expect. And so will argue about it. *shrug*

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     Checking for the existence of a directory in Perl - (pwhysall) - (53)
         I use: - (admin) - (52)
             Context - (pwhysall) - (51)
                 Re: Context - (admin) - (5)
                     Moochos grassy arse. -NT - (pwhysall)
                     And I would point out that... - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                         How to do that... - (admin) - (2)
                             That works but... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Ah, good. Thanks. -NT - (admin)
                 Minor points - (ben_tilly) - (44)
                     Re: Minor points - (pwhysall)
                     Slightly OT: on brace style: - (admin) - (42)
                         That's what I've been doing, but I'm a noob. - (Another Scott)
                         No way, this is the shizzit - (jake123)
                         Yes, that is the correct form - (tuberculosis)
                         I've heard arguments for and against that - (ben_tilly) - (38)
                             The arguments are simple - (tuberculosis) - (13)
                                 Ah, an open mind. - (Yendor) - (1)
                                     Yeah, but he's right. - (pwhysall)
                                 Yes, we know you're strongly imprinted - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                                     I'm interested in research too - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                         so K&R is wrong? Heretic BURN HIM! -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                             :-\ufffd :-\ufffd :-\ufffd :-\ufffd -NT - (jb4)
                                         There's a lot of stuff at scholar.google.com - (Another Scott)
                                         I think it depends on your visual habits. - (static)
                                     Sidenote - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                                         Automate that Jalopy - (Yendor) - (2)
                                             That's okay... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                                 np - (Yendor)
                                         Yes, that's a PBP recommend :-) - (ben_tilly)
                             I'm seeing comments that "Code Complete" addresses that - (Another Scott) - (15)
                                 Where? - (ben_tilly) - (14)
                                     CC2, pp 740-743 -NT - (Yendor) - (3)
                                         I should finish reading it then - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                             Ar - (Yendor) - (1)
                                                 I read the first one that way, the first time - (ben_tilly)
                                     E.g. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                         What I see on that page: - (admin) - (8)
                                             I see. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                                 Dunno what to tell you... - (admin) - (2)
                                                     www.mr-anderson.net could not be found... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                         Can you dig it? - (pwhysall)
                                                 They work here. Check your browser/adblock. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                                 For some reason reading text isn't so bad. - (admin) - (2)
                                                     Would you be better off wearing a patch? -NT - (broomberg) - (1)
                                                         Tried that for a bit. - (admin)
                             It's not just "bad vision" - (admin) - (5)
                                 I'm *so* playing you at pool, for money. -NT - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                     Bastard. - (admin) - (1)
                                         :-D -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     ICLRPD: I'm *so* playing you at pool, for money. (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
                                     You're English. Isn't that advantage enough? -NT - (ben_tilly)
                             It's a pretty print problem... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                 Code Complete reserves special criticism for that one -NT - (ben_tilly)

Massteria!
124 ms