Yes, there are limitations in communications even with satellite phones and even though they're not tremendously expensive, they aren't cheap and are outside the financial resources of the vast majority of people who might be out in the woods or away from cell phone towers. You're right that one should know what to do in emergencies even if there is technology to help. As we've discussed here before, advanced technology breaks while things like pencil and paper and sextants are much less fragile.

But it does help to be prepared. That means knowing how to give yourself first aid, but also taking reasonable preparations to allow communications in an emergency, letting people know where you're going and when, etc., when possible when traveling.

If I were that far from civilization, it would be on a vacation. Part of my planning would be making sure I knew what to do in an emergency and seriously thinking about having a sat phone (with lots of extra batteries and/or a [link|http://www.haimei.com/mobile_phone_accessory/manual_charger.htm|crank powered charger]).

Cheers,
Scott.